Do You Own A Swiss Army Knife?

iu

Swiss Army Knife is a daily carry for me. Don't feel fully dressed and ready to meet the day without it. Have several of them. Change out monthly for a different feel in the hand and in the pocket.

Every trip to the local sporting goods outlet has me stopping in the knife aisle wondering if I need another. Arnold

Victorinox-Swiss-Army-Logo_861be695-bb44-4836-be9a-e3dcf46b2a05_2000x.png

I have had one for 15 years, that was a 30 year award of sorts, and it was so bulky and well built, I never used it. Last year,I thought "Might as well get it dirty", and began to use it. I used to carry a pen knife, but this one is in the toolbox. I think they also make Swiss Navy knives too.:) Do you have one?
I have carried a SAK for over 49 years. I never go anywhere without it. I like the Tinker, it has everything I need- 2- knife blades (large and small), Phillips head and flat head screwdriver, bottle opener, tweezers, and toothpick. It gets used very iften.

How the Swiss Army Knife was the iPhone of its day

"With an iPhone in your hand and thousands of apps at your disposal, you may think you have the one gadget that can get you out of any situation. But there’s a kind of analog handset that offers sharp solutions to cut through unexpected challenges. The Swiss Army Knife comes from the 19th century but never gets old."

swiss_army_knife003-640x319.jpg

The trademark red handle was added to the knife a few years later.

"The red handle and silver cross is enough to inspire confidence knowing that what unfolds from it could help you solve problems, build things, keep you on the job or possibly save your life." (Read More)

Does one actually have to enlist in the Swiss Army to be given a Swiss Army Knife? Does Switzerland actually have an army? When you are bored in the mornings, you often ask silly questions.
I can tell you from personal experience that the Canadian Forces ( all 3 branches of the service ) are issued Leatherman utility devices as a part of their personal kit. That amounts to about 85,000 of them in service. Some technical trades get Leatherman devices that are job specific, like the Navy's underwater clearance divers, and the RCAF rescue paramedics. I still have mine. JimB In Toronto.

"The Swiss flag is among the most iconic in the world: the simple white cross on a red background. You’ll see it throughout the country, on official buildings, and during sports events. However, there’s one noticeable difference between the Swiss flag and others. It’s square, and entirely unique among sovereign states, apart from tiny Vatican City."

switzerland-flag.jpg

Military service is still compulsory…

"Switzerland is one of the last remaining countries in western Europe to have compulsory military services. To this day, all male Swiss citizens over the age of 18 are expected to serve in the Swiss army, with regular “refresher courses” continuing until the age of 44. Military training camps are therefore a common sight across Switzerland. Female citizens can also choose to volunteer."
swiss-army.jpg

Back