Do you receive many Christmas cards ?

Wren

and what do you do with them ? display them, leave them in a pile ? I receive about 40 and just bought one of these it holds fifty cards and keeps them all in one place

Once the holidays are over I give most of them to a local charity71BA1578-4FC4-4A68-BDD3-8CFDC524AE5E.jpeg

I get one or two from people that I care about and a few from businesses that annoy me by trying to make our relationship personal.

I remember when I was growing up my grandmother would set up a card table in the corner of her living room right after Thanksgiving and start working on her Christmas cards. She would also put a ribbon around the archway between the living room and dining room to display the cards that she received.

We get quite a lot , from work colleagues of my husband and also our neighbours as well as our local church (all delivered by hand), but we rarely get any through the post because our family and friends send them electronically now..

It's hard to say how many paper ones we get now, a lot less than years ago..maybe around 50 or so..not sure tbh. We set them on card twine all along the picture rails and hang them up, and also put some on the Mantelpiece

Last edited:
I used to but, all my friends are now older or dead...So, the cards have stopped.

Surprised I received actually, as I never sent. Most my friends would just tease me about being an old Scrooge :) And they were correct.

Never cared much about Christmas , too me it was just Dec 25th.

I get quite a few cards and they are plopping onto my mat fast. Ive sorted what to send pending addys in piles also keeping track who is sending them. Ive cut down..or trying to..sending to folk that I never see and never will again old pals workmates going back years. Having to be strict with myself.

I do e-cards by a well known company and used it for years and love the vast choices and the annual subscription is about £8 and well worth it for me.

Bought my two Sons and and their families their cards today and slowly getting there with cards. The postage in the UK is very high even for a second class stamp. Many send e-cards so Royal Mail are losing out...so up go the prices of postage..:rolleyes:

Last edited:
These days not many at all. Years ago I would do exactly what Aunt Bea said her grandmother did and put a ribbon across the archway from our living room to our dining room and display them that way. Now the few we get I can wedge the corner of the card under the molding that is around our bay window. After Christmas I read them again and then make tags out of them for next years Christmas gifts.

I get maybe 3 or 4, would like to stop those too. I remember having to write and address and stamp 50 of them for my parents a long time ago. Then I noticed that many of them went to people who had not sent any for many years. I told my parents to stop sending to them, they said no, I told them to send the cards themselves from then on. They cut down quite a bit after I quit doing it for them.

One tip I read about which I like is to cut up those old cards and use them as gift tags.

As of this date, none. Send none so I expect none. Sorry Hallmark.

I'll bet "ol" Hallmark ...& others, have taken a hit lately. Many folks I talk to just don't buy into the whole "card" bit, like they used to. And not just Christmas either, mothers day, birthday, & others as well.

I got all of my outgoing cards in the mail yesterday. We have been successful in trimming that number down to something reasonable. I still get Christmas cards from people who served with me in the Navy over 35 years ago, and I send one to them as well. Some of our overseas assignments were a bit rough and I suppose there is an emotional connection that people don't want to lose.

Christmas cards are also an easy way to send checks to my grandchildren on the other coast. I have no real idea about what they may want or need.

Equally important, I sent out many checks to various charities at the same time. I find that mailing them out is pretty satisfying.

Got one
From my life long buddy in Klawock Alaska
and......15 lbs of smoked salmon (showoff bastard)
I made him and his lady a card and sent them a birdhouse

I expect one more from my bud in Montana
His are always homemade and.... hilarious
He only writes and send via snail mail
Guess I better get on a card for him

I mail some to cousins and friends I don't see during the year. I mail my gift cards in them. The few charities I donate to through the year always send great ornate ones to me so I have not bought any in years.

Back