Do you remember what your grandmother wore?

Do you remember what your grandmother wore on your wedding day?​

My paternal grandmother, the fashionable one, had a gorgeous deep rose lace suit that she wore to all our weddings. She had dyed-to-match heels to wear with it. We called it "The Wedding Suit". She wore it at their 50th wedding anniversary, too, soon after my wedding.

We buried her in it....it was how we remembered her best.

My other grandmother didn't come to any of our weddings. She lived in another state and didn't like to travel much.

Oddly enough, my maternal grandmother never did discuss her wedding day and/or what she wore. I'm betting she made her dress/gown.

Oddly enough, my maternal grandmother never did discuss her wedding day and/or what she wore. I'm betting she made her dress/gown.
I have a black and white photo of my maternal grandparents in front of the church where they were married. He has on a suit and a diamond horseshoe tie-pin (which he wore for the rest of his life....it was a wedding present from grandma and had 13 tiny diamonds in it - his lucky number). She had on a coat and matching cloche hat that she said was brown velvet. No wedding bouquet in sight. It was 1919.

No pictures, but my maternal grandfather was in a suit. Grandma wore a navy blue wool suit and a white blouse. Her father sent away to New York for the suit and paid $50 for it (she was her father's favorite.) She wore a white corsage. I believe it was what they called a "parlor wedding" (performed at home by the parson). This was in 1920.

I have a black and white photo of my maternal grandparents in front of the church where they were married. He has on a suit and a diamond horseshoe tie-pin (which he wore for the rest of his life....it was a wedding present from grandma and had 13 tiny diamonds in it - his lucky number). She had on a coat and matching cloche hat that she said was brown velvet. No wedding bouquet in sight. It was 1919.
My maternal grandparents were also married in 1919-April 6th. It was her 18th birthday. I`m not sure how long they were married-long enough to have my mom in 1920 and her brother a couple of years later. My grandmother went on to have 3 or maybe four more marriages-her last to a man 30 years her junior. That was her longest marriage,it lasted 18 years.

My maternal grandmother always wore granny-type dresses, and insisted on kissing you whenever she’d see you, which meant that you’d get red lipstick on your cheek, plus be bathed in that distinctive old lady fragrance…eww, mush! If you were visiting her, you’d be fed, whether you were hungry or not. The plates and silverware were ornate, and seemed to come from some extinct antediluvian civilization. When you’d leave, Granny would slip you a dollar, which was real money to a kid back then. You would never get that much money unsolicited from your parents unless it was a rare occasion!

I only remember my Maternal Grandmother wearing a nightgown, because she was sick and confined to being in bed. She passed away when I was 5yrs old. I only remember my paternal grandmother wearing house dresses. She passed away a few months before my wedding. My family was never invited to any special events on my Dad's side of the family so I never saw her dressed up and looking fancy.

Both of my grandmothers died a long time before I was born. I have a photo of my mothers family and since my Grandmother died in 1921, it must have been just before this - judging by the appearance of my mother who was born 1913, the photo must have been 1919 / 1920.

Of course for the occasion, they were all dressed up in their finery with Grandmother wearing a plain skirt and blouse trimmed with lace.

Back