Do you remember your childhood address and phone number?

We didn't have a phone - there were no lines in the area. Mom lived in the same house for 60 years and had four different addresses for that house over the years. The last one was after I left home.

And the phone did not have a dial, you picked it up and told the operator the number that you wanted. My big sister's first job after high school was a telephone operator.

Cell phones were science fiction back then.

I can remember my grandmothers number from 80 years ago, but not my own from 5 years ago.

I use my oldest address for some passwords I need to remember. I use my 6th grade girl friends last name for my bank card. So when I am asked the pin number I have to look at the key pad because I go by the spelling.

Yup, I remember my original hometown address, and next address, before there were zipcodes.
I didn't pay much attention to phones til I was around halfway through elementary school, but I remember the number we had then. Childhood, teenage years, and adult years, I've never been a "phone chatter"- phone conversations have always been like "Can you come over?" "Yes!" "OK, see ya." :)

I keep a list of everywhere I've lived since birth. There are 34 entries which include college (7 addresses) and military (3 addresses). One address and phone number from my grade school years is indelibly etched on my mind. The rest would be lost were it not for the list. :ROFLMAO:

Some I do and some I don't. The first house I remember the address of was the one I lived in from about the time I was an almost 5 year old. I don't remember any of the addresses before that but remember going with my parents when they were looking for the house and the terrible rain storm that was happening at the time. I also remember a lot about that house and I think it was a favorite of mine. It had a big avocado tree in the back yard that my friends climbed in and played on. It also had a swingset in another section of the back yard and a big pine tree with a tire swing back there as well. There was a bed of roses back there and I remember the neighbors had a persimmon tree that I could see over the fence.

I lived in at least three different places before that house and five more additional locations before I turned 18. I remember some of the five places addresses but don't recall even the street of one of them.

Yup, when I was about 9-10, my phone number was 4321 I think it was a party line, or the phone number before. I can remember when they added a "7", so it was 74321. My God, how was anybody supposed to remember all those numbers. I can remember people saying thing were getting out of hand with the phone company. I remember when people tried to make names out of their phone number. 5646= "John". I don't think they had letters associated with telephone numbers in Europe?????

BTW I remember living at 424 Pleasant Street. You had to live 1 mile from the school to ride the school bus. If I lived at 426 Pleasant Street, I could have rode the bus. But what got me was all the kids , who could ride the bus, waited for it in front of my house. I had to walk through them to go to school .GRRRR.

Last edited:
Yes, I've lived in 2 family homes. I remember both of the addresses and ph numbers. My sister and I had a pink princess ph we shared. My brother always had his own ph, and of course our home phone.

I work for the treasury dept, and everyone is a number in most depts. So, I just remember those things...ph #s, addresses, license plates! lol

And the phone did not have a dial, you picked it up and told the operator the number that you wanted. My big sister's first job after high school was a telephone operator.

Cell phones were science fiction back then.

I can remember my grandmothers number from 80 years ago, but not my own from 5 years ago.
Yes I remember. You picked up the phone and the operator said "Number please". And you could just ask for the time. "Correct time please". Wristwatches were something you got as a special present.

I was born and raised in South Philadelphia. I still remember the address and phone number. When ever I had to tell someone my phone number since it started with FU whoever I had to give it to laughed. FU was for Fulton.

had same address and phone number from birth until i moved out after college.

i remember for a short time having a "party line". phone number progressed from 5 digits to those numbers plus first 2 letters from another word. mine went from 54391 to TR-54391 (TR for tremont). then that changed to 87. then the prefixes.

have had a few changes in area codes.

starsong mentioned having address and phone number pounded into my head. made me think of something "young" people could not fathom. we were lucky enough to experience 1-2 weeks vacation at the Jersey shore. had a floor of one of those BIG, old-fashioned beach houses. NO phones, but can't remember a time when we ever needed one. we would go walk the boardwalk almost every night. when we would pass the first aid building, an adult in the group would quickly point out that THAT was where to go if we got "lost". we had to know that temporary address by heart.

Yes I do. Likely someone else has that phone number now, so I won't post it. My parents kept it when we moved, but after my dad passed in 1983, mom changed it for some reason I can't remember.

I don't live very far from the home in which I grew up. I could drive by it easily if I wanted to. It looks a lot different now, but it was 45 years ago when we moved. Looks like it's under renovation. Here a pic from the county tax database:

house.jpeg

Yes only lived in 2 homes during my childhood ....no phones, both homes have been demolished and new homes built ..one was in what we called “out the south “ the other in Railway town
in a very isolated town/ city with a population of 40.000

Last edited:

Back