Do you talk more or less than when you were younger?

MsFox

Independent Thinker
While I realize I have the right to remain silent, I lack the ability. However old age has me zipping it more than as a youth if you don't count talking to a computer or TV as talking. I remember as a youth that my teachers reported unanimously that I talked too much. This was confirmed at about age 10 helping a great aunt prune her orchard. Without missing a pull of the cutter rope she said, "If I could hook your cutter rope up to your lower jaw this entire orchard would have been pruned an hour ago."

In one sense, I'm more confident about speaking up when necessary. But I also realize that in a general sense, no one wants to hear what I have to say. So maybe I'm quieter now.
I never let a deaf audience hold me back. :) I think this is why my electronic gadgets respect me. Well, all but my cell phone spokeswoman, Siri. She got all sassy about my name-calling due to her having excessive wax in her ears. :LOL:

I communicate with people when I get the opportunity and it's not every day and it varies. I'd say I talk less with people now. I talk more to my dog and bird šŸ¦ now.

There was a time when I was a nonstop talker but that was long ago. I often am a listener but still enjoy a good equal back and forth conversation when I find someone to talk with who is the same.

I was a chatty tot, then a quiet, insecure adolescent, then a know-it-all 20-something until a trauma made me realize there's so much to know, no one can know it all, and I entered my reading phase, followed by a phase where I meditated a lot, which led to an epiphany that left me practically speechless for quite a while.

Believe it or not, I don't talk much irl. I used to be an instigator. Now I'm more of a responder.

Never was a big talker and am even less now. With the pandemic, I leave home a lot less than I did, so the opportunity to do so is a lot less, but I honestly don't miss it. I'm kind of a bookish nerd.and have my daughter, grandson and great grandson living with me , so I get all the conversation I want right here at home

I think I talked a lot as a child, became quieter as I aged until I became an introvert, and now find that although I still consider myself an introvert on the rare occasion I am around people I tend to talk too much. Trying to make up for lost time, I guess..........or due to being uncomfortable.

If I'm forced into a social situation, I'll socialize, but I'd prefer not to. I try to avoid people.

I guess that's opposite of how I used to be. I used to like being around people but hardly said anything when I was. I'd listen to other people talk and added an occasional comment here and there, but was pretty quiet.

These days, if I have to be around people, I'm going to be the center of attention or at least given equal time. Otherwise, let me out of there. I have better things to do than listen to other people babble on and on about crap I don't care about. I try to be polite, though.

Back