Elementary School Shooting in Uvalde Texas

Many of these highly publicized mass shootings have been committed by Teen Agers....Sandy Hook, Columbine, the Buffalo, NY grocery store, and now, this Texas school shooting. There is an Easy Common Sense measure that could be taken to reduce these incidents.....Make it Illegal to purchase a firearm until age 21. AND, if there are firearms in a household who has teenagers, hold the Parents equally responsible for any illegal gun activities their kids might take.

After all, a person can't buy a bottle of whiskey unless they are over 21....which is more dangerous...a bottle of booze, or a gun???

If anyone here is overly concerned about these tragedies, I would URGE you to write your Congressman/Senator, and suggest this minor change to our laws...I have Already Done So.

I'm all for the right to keep and bear arms. Many of us may live in dangerous neighborhoods and have a right to defend themselves, families, and homes, and a few still hunt ... BUT I see no need for assault rifles, or semi-automatics for that matter, other than in the hands of the police and military. BTW, for home defense a short barrel 20 gauge pump action shotgun is probably the best choice. Bullets can go through walls and kill a neighbor. That said, as we all know, if guns are outlawed, outlaws will still have guns.
It's all well & good to say "No one needs a semi-auto or "Assault Rifle." A crime victim doesn't have the luxury of deciding how many home invasion robbers will be involved. Please explain how a gun with limited magazine capacity would have helped in these situations involving multiple assailants:

A question they could add is what address will the buyer be taking the gun home to. Reason being his grandfather was a convicted felon and could not possess a firearm. The killer's mother was a known drug addict and police were call to her home. She probably has some crime on her resume. Shouldn't have to pay for the sins of others but maybe those issues need extra scrutiny
In CA, if anyone living in the residence is a felon, NO firearms or ammunition are allowed in the home.
The problem is that criminals become criminals by breaking the law, so the "Restrictions" are of little concern.

Many of these highly publicized mass shootings have been committed by Teen Agers....Sandy Hook, Columbine, the Buffalo, NY grocery store, and now, this Texas school shooting. There is an Easy Common Sense measure that could be taken to reduce these incidents.....Make it Illegal to purchase a firearm until age 21. AND, if there are firearms in a household who has teenagers, hold the Parents equally responsible for any illegal gun activities their kids might take.

After all, a person can't buy a bottle of whiskey unless they are over 21....which is more dangerous...a bottle of booze, or a gun???

If anyone here is overly concerned about these tragedies, I would URGE you to write your Congressman/Senator, and suggest this minor change to our laws...I have Already Done So.
IMO, there isn't much difference between a mentally-ill 18 year old & a mentally-ill 21 year old.
And mass murderers come in all ages.
The Las Vegas murderer was 64. 61 killed, 817 injured.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Las_Vegas_shooting

It's all well & good to say "No one needs a semi-auto or "Assault Rifle." A crime victim doesn't have the luxury of deciding how many home invasion robbers will be involved. Please explain how a gun with limited magazine capacity would have helped in these situations involving multiple assailants:

Stevens 12 or 20 gauge pump, 5 shell magazine. Not enough? Load it with buckshot. Still not enough? Maybe you would prefer a full on machine gun or maybe a grenade launcher? I'm sure you would, but maybe it's just time to move to a safer neighborhood.

Today, Thursday ..... another death attributed to the school shootings ..

The husband of a teacher slain in Tuesday's shooting in Ulvade, Texas, suffered a fatal heart attack Thursday.

Joe Garcia was the husband of Irma Garcia, one of the two teachers murdered in Salvador Ramos' attack on Robb Elementary School Tuesday, according to FOX San Antonio reporter Ernie Zuniga.

Joe and Irma leave behind four children.
iu

The husband of a teacher slain in Tuesday's shooting in Ulvade, Texas, suffered a fatal heart attack Thursday.

Joe Garcia was the husband of Irma Garcia, one of the two teachers murdered in Salvador Ramos' attack on Robb Elementary School Tuesday, according to FOX San Antonio reporter Ernie Zuniga.

iu
I just read this on one of my news sites. How sad.

Tragic beyond imagination. It is like we are living in a nightmare.

What I would like to know is how this very disturbed kid, with a long anti-social history and coming from a family of felons, came into possession of this firearm. Who would sell him a gun, let alone an assault rifle? Or did he steal it, or buy it from a "friend?" I wonder about the police work in tracking this down. Getting an answer might provide some hints as to how to deal with this problem in the future.

If somebody actually sold (or gave!) it to him, IMO they are just as guilty of murder as he was.

iu
How tragic.

errr.........that's not how things are done here. Not yet anyway.
I understand that but this is an imperative that decisive action needs to be taken.
It seems that those politicians receiving money from the NRA are willing to let innocent people die.
Maybe the NRA needs to be disbanded.
I do not have the answers but something desperately needs to be done to stop the killing of American Citizens.

Stevens 12 or 20 gauge pump, 5 shell magazine. Not enough? Load it with buckshot. Still not enough? Maybe you would prefer a full on machine gun or maybe a grenade launcher? I'm sure you would, but maybe it's just time to move to a safer neighborhood.
Since you seem to have some (limited) firearms knowledge, you should know that shotguns have very limited capacity. That is why all police vehicles (including motorcycles) have AR15's.
My custom Remington 870, even with an extended magazine only holds 6. Buckshot is more powerful, but it doesn't solve the problem of limited capacity.
I already live in a safe neighborhood - whatever that means.
As a law-abiding citizen, I deserve (and am entitled to) the same edge as a criminal.

Tragic beyond imagination. It is like we are living in a nightmare.

What I would like to know is how this very disturbed kid, with a long anti-social history and coming from a family of felons, came into possession of this firearm. Who would sell him a gun, let alone an assault rifle? Or did he steal it, or buy it from a "friend?" I wonder about the police work in tracking this down. Getting an answer might provide some hints as to how to deal with this problem in the future.

If somebody actually sold (or gave!) it to him, IMO they are just as guilty of murder as he was.

He bought them legally @Sunny
My question is: did he pay by credit card (whose); or cash (how did he get that?)

Things reported about this family are troubling .... the grandfather has a past as a felon, the boy's mother, a drug addict ....

NRA convention in Houston tomorrow. The only time guns won't be allowed is when Trump is speaking. Wow! The NRA is banning guns. This flies in the face of the safest places are those where guns are allowed. Such hypocrisy because with so many good guys with guns, any bad guy would be put down instantly.

I'm a former teacher and school principal and teacher. Some of you may remember when the the school shootings happened in 1992 in Jonesboro, ArkansasI had moved on by the time it happened. I had been the principal of that school from 1978 through 1982. One of the teachers shot was my cousin. I had moved on a long time before it happened. Maybe I'm just soft and old but I still think about it often. Those two boys went home and took guns from their homes and were waiting outside for the bell to ring at the end of the day when their school mates would come racing out to board the busses for home. Can you imagine? I knew many of the teachers and staff that worked there. One of the teachers died. The principal was a friend I had recommended for the job and urged her to take.(she is ok and retired now. I only talked to her a couple of times since then and neither of us said anything about it. The children at the school when I was there had moved on to high school by the time it happened so I am grateful to know that I didn't know any of them. The best I can remember those boys punishment was minimal because of their ages. It was and is an elementary school. I don't know why I felt the need to share this. I think I just needed to talk. Thanks for listening.

Bill

Talk is cheap!

"Gov. Greg Abbott said Wednesday that the Uvalde school shooter had a "mental health challenge" and the state needed to "do a better job with mental health" — yet in April he slashed $211 million from the department that oversees mental health programs.

In addition, Texas ranked last out of all 50 states and the District of Columbia for overall access to mental health care, according to the 2021 State of Mental Health in America report.

“There is no evidence the shooter is mentally ill, just angry and hateful,” said Lori Post, director of the Buehler Center for Health Policy and Economics at the Northwestern University School of Medicine. “While it is understandable that most people cannot fathom slaughtering small children and want to attribute it to mental health, it is very rare for a mass shooter to have a diagnosed mental health condition.”

https://news.yahoo.com/abbott-calls-texas-school-shooting-232258543.html

Back