Extreme Seclusion

Coronavirus will push many of us older folks into extreme seclusion. My greatest fear is the emotional insecurity that may occur from increased isolation. A limited support system pushed me to reach out to social media. I'd like to quote from JuJubes old post: "Nope, not for me. I'm not fond enough of my own company to want it exclusively. First thing I'd do would be to start talking to myself. Then I'd start answering myself, closely followed by arguing with myself. Then I'd get in a snit and start giving myself the cold shoulder. After a while, I'd get lonely and make up with myself. Who needs all that? " That actually made me laugh, and I needed that!"

First thing I'd do would be to start talking to myself. Then I'd start answering myself, closely followed by arguing with myself. Then I'd get in a snit and start giving myself the cold shoulder. After a while, I'd get lonely and make up with myself. Who needs all that? " That actually made me laugh, and I needed that!"

I've read that talking to yourself is okay, but answering yourself is bad. If you go and have a total relationship fight with yourself, that truly needs the ''men in the white coats'', so don't live isolated. That was funny, thanks for the laugh!

You're a new member, welcome to our forum. I am a semi-recluse and love my privacy and solitude, but I could never be happy isolated from all humans. I'd like to at least be able to ''people watch''.

I have to cut my own grass and hedges and keep a fire going for heat in the winter. That's rough enough for me. My neighbor clears my driveway bless his heart.
A gentle reminder that the chimney has to be cleaned to be safe, and you don't want the house too tight, fumes can kill you.

Gary O', I got exhausted just reading all the stuff you could do in ''Country Living''. LOL I found ONE thing I already do, I bake bread.
I live in Washington DC. Empty shelves in the grocery store, all bread products gone. All the pasta gone. Etc.
But I have a little bit of flour, some yeast, a bread machine.
I always knew this was coming, but it's still depressing.

Kinda reminds me of Helen and Scott Nearing
Only, they’re the only ones I know of that actually did it….lived off the land.

Way into their 90s (if I remember correctly)

And they were vegetarians!
(Tough for this carnivore to comprehend)

They inspired my lady and I back in the ‘70s
This was our bible
View attachment 74404

And this one

View attachment 74405

Heh, we’ve sold everything and moved to the woods…. three times since the ‘70s

I salute anyone that does it like the Nearings did
It still blows my mind

I'm actually more than a little surprised anyone manages to live off the land.
So much can go wrong. Injury, illness, crop failure, animal disease, predators, weather.

A gentle reminder that the chimney has to be cleaned to be safe, and you don't want the house too tight, fumes can kill you.
I clean the flue myself and burn out the chimney once a year. Not my favorite job, but I found long ago that waiting for some guy to do that stuff is wishful thinking. My house is far from airtight even with the windows closed. Haha.

Judycat, is the chimney lined? If not, deliberate "burning out" can be quite dangerous.
For other readers of this thread, who may be considering a stove, consider getting the type that more
completely burns, a catalytic stove. Even better is the type called a "rocket mass heater" stove.

Judycat, is the chimney lined? If not, deliberate "burning out" can be quite dangerous.
For other readers of this thread, who may be considering a stove, consider getting the type that more
completely burns, a catalytic stove. Even better is the type called a "rocket mass heater" stove.

Good advice

We have an old earth stove at the cabin
It rocks
And yes, the stove pipe is triple lined
Expensive, but worth it

We always keep a window cracked right by the bed

Nuthin' better than breathing fresh mountain air while tucked in

Most water purchased at a store is snake oil. Just literally tap water from far away.
https://www.sciencealert.com/15-fac...er-is-one-of-the-biggest-scams-of-the-century

Instead, invest in a tapwater test kit.
Your local government may even provide this for free.
Once you know what is there, you can intelligently select a home water filtration method.

Meanwhile, fill up some jugs. When the virus kicks into high gear, the people at the power
plant will all be dead. No more electricity, no more pump to bring water.

Everyone dead at the sewage treatment plant means you're gonna have to boil water
even if there is still electrictity.

Back