Extreme Seclusion

PVC

Original Poster
That life would suit me nicely, apart from raising my own meat. I don't eat meat and could never bring myself to kill an animal just so that I could eat it. However, I would surround myself with animals, simply because I enjoy having them around.

I already live quite an isolated life, even though I live in the centre of a busy town. I keep myself detached as much as I can, don't want to get involved with anyone. The internet is ideal for people like me. We can have brief chats with other people without the hassle of actually being with them physically.
I completely agree with everything you said.

I am a vegetarian since 1984 and the part I didn't like in the film is where she picked up a rabbit and started petting it and saying repeatedly ''Beautiful bunny, beautiful bunny'' to slow it's heart rate and then she killed it. She showed great love for her female pregnant goat, but she probably also kills the goats for food.

PVC

Original Poster
I looked up Gary O's the Nearings of Maine and found this video on You-tube. I would never want to live such a hard life but I have great admiration for people like them. And, he lived to be 100 and she to 91, not bad for such a hard life.

Gary O'

And, he lived to be 100 and she to 91, not bad for such a hard life
Turns out, simple living is actually easier
Easier on the heart
Easier on the mind
Easier on the soul
We got our hands dirty with it for the last four years
Not to the extent of the Nearings, but as far as I cared to go with it
That kind of living has a simple, yet defined, tangible freshening purity unknown to folks in the city

Liberty

I find that I am definitely more antisocial nowadays; not sure if it's because I'm a geezer or if the world is just that ugly now. I prefer my comfortable home to just about anyplace on earth. Anyway, I'm much too cowardly (and dare I say, lazy) to contemplate living in rustic conditions. Just give me air conditioning and a good book; I'm good to go.
Was happy to hear that books are back in vogue and some good sized company bought up Barnes & Noble with the intention of making them the largest independent booksellers...my kind of biz folks. We have a big library and it never fails, when folks come to stay with us you can tell who are the readers an appreciate books and who could care less...how? Books disappear only to turn up months later with a "friend"...lol.

Gary O'

We have a big library and it never fails, when folks come to stay with us you can tell who are the readers an appreciate books and who could care less...how? Books disappear only to turn up months later with a "friend"
Books played a big role during the long winter nights at the cabin

mdiPHLA.jpg

HPPa3t0.jpg

5vCKFA3.jpg

fire.jpg

Once I get into a good book, it's a bit of a romance
Hate to leave it, even for awhile
Then, when it's over...I wish it wasn't

Citygirl

I was born and raised in the city but I don't know if it is the world today or just the fact that I'm at this age but I do like my solitude. I also want to be able to get help if I need it, and at 80 you never know. We've watched these shows on TV from Alaska and there is just no way that I would ever attempt that living hot weather or cold.

Reactions: PVC