Florida Principal Who Paddled Girl, 6, Was in the Right: Authorities

As for the mother’s behaviour. I wonder how well she understood English since she spoke in Spanish to the interviewer. Also, she probably had no idea of the severity of the punishment. I hope the child’s derrière has been checked for bruises. They do not always show up right away
Excellent post. Even if she told, and it was clearly understood, that the teacher was permitted to discipline, no matter if the mother told the teacher to paddle the
#$@%& out of her, that does not absolve the teacher from liability, guaranteed.

According to the article:

"One staff member gave a statement claiming that when the girl's mother was contacted by phone about the incident, she said her daughter was also damaging items at home, but that she was "afraid to discipline her by spanking, because her daughter threatens to call the police and [the Department of Children and Families]." She says the mother then asked that school staffers spank her daughter, CNN reports. The staffer says she then told the mother she'd need to come to the school to ask in person for the spanking to be carried out, and then remain in the room while it happened, and that the mother did just that.

In a memo, Deputy Chief Assistant State Attorney Abraham R. Thornburg says that upon review of the incident, it does appear "the child's mother sanctioned and consented to the spanking of her daughter as discipline for misbehavior," and that on the video of the incident, which was secretly recorded by the mother, she can be heard thanking staffers afterward. The memo notes that per Florida law, parents have the right to spank their children or authorize others to do so for them and spanking is not considered child abuse. The office also found no evidence of "great bodily harm, permanent disability, or permanent disfigurement." The mother, however, filed a police report after the incident, and her attorney says she was confused about the school's policy and was scared when she went in and witnessed the spanking."

The mother permitted, witnessed and thanked the administrators and now wants to sue? Gimme a break.

p.s As of 2018, school paddling is legal in these states:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_corporal_punishment_in_the_United_States

View attachment 164408
Why am I not surprised?

A principal called me to tell me he was going to paddle my little girl.I told him to wait til I got there. I got there to find my daughter terrified and the jerk principal said he just wanted to scare her. It was a very very small school because it was a very very small mining town. One teacher hit my son on the head, I had enough , took my kids out of that school and got them on correspondence courses, where they got a much better education than they got in public school!

Sounds like my Catholic school back in the 1950's. Admittedly they didn't use a wooden paddle, one teacher used an old slipper, the head teacher used a wooden cane. Right across the buttocks. And this is on children aged between four and ten years old.
When I was in parochial grade school the teachers and principal wielded wide leather belts for offenders. I got beaten one time for an infraction I didn't even know about.
In public school jr. & sr. high school the phys-ed teachers and vice principals used wooden paddles...this I know from experience.

When I was in parochial grade school the teachers and principal wielded wide leather belts for offenders. I got beaten one time for an infraction I didn't even know about.
In public school jr. & sr. high school the phys-ed teachers and vice principals used wooden paddles...this I know from experience.
When I was fifteen, a teacher wanted to discipline me with a thick wooden ruler. Infraction, bad attitude? No explanation. When he tried, I grabbed it, broke it in half, and smiled. I was a gymnast, practiced T’ai Chi, and regularly

dealt with people who were truly scary. To make a final point, I grabbed a new brass tack, slammed my hand down on it, left it there for a moment, then casually removed it, still smiling. For some reason he left me alone for the rest of the year.

When I was fifteen, a teacher wanted to discipline me with a thick wooden ruler. Infraction, bad attitude? No explanation. When he tried, I grabbed it, broke it in half, and smiled. I was a gymnast, practiced T’ai Chi, and regularly

dealt with people who were truly scary. To make a final point, I grabbed a new brass tack, slammed my hand down on it, left it there for a moment, then casually removed it, still smiling. For some reason he left me alone for the rest of the year.
Holy guacamole, you gave that teacher a story to talk about until his very last breath.

namaste.jpg

I wish you had done the same, Nathan. :(

You should have latched onto that wooden paddle or leather belt and for all your worth given it right back across the side of the individuals head!
Yea, but I was just a happy-go-lucky 11yr. old, afraid to challenge an adult authority figure.

...when I got the wooden paddle in high school, it was because I got caught smoking in the baseball field dugout during a school assembly.

To Marg: I definitely have known people who admit to beating their kids. People who are bold enough to beat their children truly believe they have a right to and stand by their behaviour. Many proudly will announce it to others. There even was a member here who bragged about smacking his child across the mouth in a store because the child was crying. People who beat their own kids are a breed all on their own.

Last edited:
Over the years, my wife and I opened our home to 104 foster children. The 9 year old boy who came to us in the early 70's with scars and welts from being beat with a belt... His was the first text to my wife on Mothers Day. Retired, himself, now in Tennessee. Calls "Mom" at least once/month and always remembers her birthday and Mothers Day. He didn't deserve being physically and emotionally scarred for life. Or... the siblings, 4 and 5 years old. The 5-year old boy was deaf in one ear from being hit so hard it damaged his eardrum. His 4-year old sister had scars all over her back from lit cigarettes being used as discipline enforcement. Neither deserved the physical and emotional damage they will carry for life. Even the young lady I walked down the aisle in 1990. She had been physically, sexually, and emotionally damaged by her biological father. She found, with us, that life could be better. She and her husband are still married, both their kids have graduated college and they have done well.

Our own three kids, of course, had times their actions challenged us. NEVER did we use corporal punishment. NEVER would we hit a child. All three have been successful in their careers and all three are married to their first spouses... one of the girls just celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary this week. I just cannot understand the "need" to inflict physical pain on a child to get a message through to them.

Over the years, my wife and I opened our home to 104 foster children. The 9 year old boy who came to us in the early 70's with scars and welts from being beat with a belt... His was the first text to my wife on Mothers Day. Retired, himself, now in Tennessee. Calls "Mom" at least once/month and always remembers her birthday and Mothers Day. He didn't deserve being physically and emotionally scarred for life. Or... the siblings, 4 and 5 years old. The 5-year old boy was deaf in one ear from being hit so hard it damaged his eardrum. His 4-year old sister had scars all over her back from lit cigarettes being used as discipline enforcement. Neither deserved the physical and emotional damage they will carry for life. Even the young lady I walked down the aisle in 1990. She had been physically, sexually, and emotionally damaged by her biological father. She found, with us, that life could be better. She and her husband are still married, both their kids have graduated college and they have done well.

Our own three kids, of course, had times their actions challenged us. NEVER did we use corporal punishment. NEVER would we hit a child. All three have been successful in their careers and all three are married to their first spouses... one of the girls just celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary this week. I just cannot understand the "need" to inflict physical pain on a child to get a message through to them.
You're a good man, Patch. 💓

What? That’s outrageous! 😵
🤷‍♀️ Just unbelievable! 🤦‍♀️
Outrageous indeed, and gathering by the OP video, it's all up to the individual handing down the discipline to gauge how severe the blows should be. :mad:

I always knew monsters and sickos walk among us, and the OP confirms it.

Back