Football Season

I live in the Cleveland area and we have the Browns for a team. I have not watched football because I really haven't understood the game but I figure if I watch I may discover what they are doing and why...:) I don't know if we have a good team this year or not but will see.

What is your team and do you watch them?
View attachment 74484
Ruthanne I wish you luck, I watched football with my husband for 55 years I still don’t understand it! 😂

I LOVED this article in the NY Times! Here's an excerpt, plus a link to the full article (NY Times allows access to 5 free articles per month):

At Tennessee Titans Games, the Fiercest Tailgaters Are Kurds
Nashville’s big Kurdish community has fallen hard for football, and parking-lot feasts that feature biryani but no alcohol.
NY Times Nov. 8, 2019
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/08/...lick&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=Food
(excerpt)

NASHVILLE — The parking lot of Nissan Stadium was mostly empty at 8 on a recent Sunday morning, save for those dedicated few who had shown up early to stake out a spot for the tailgate before the game between the Tennessee Titans and the Buffalo Bills. The fans set up their tents, hung their Titans flags, unpacked their packets of hamburger buns and filled their coolers with ice and beer.

One group, though, was doing things a little differently. These tailgaters had the tents, the hamburgers, the flag and the coolers, but they also set out silver trays of biryani. Their coolers contained cans of orange soda and pouches of Kool-Aid, but no alcohol.

Flying alongside the Titans banner were two more flags — one for America, and one for Kurdistan, the semiautonomous region of the Middle East that most of them fled at a young age.

Here in Nashville, home to about 15,000 Kurdish-Americans, the largest population in the United States, many Kurds have fallen in love with the Titans, and come together by tailgating at home games. But they’re not just casual fans. They’re die-hard devotees.

On this October morning, they had purposefully set up their tents near the Buffalo Bills tailgaters to maximize heckling opportunities. About 30 strong, they booed at anyone who walked by in a Bills jersey, and yelled, “Titan up!” (the team’s cheer) at those wearing Titans gear.

As they say ... On Any Given Sunday ...

Upsets today:

Titans beat Kansas City ... Browns over the Bills ... Falcons stomped the Saints ... and Miami beat the Colts

How's that for a crazy day in the NFL ?

How's that for a crazy day in the NFL ?

Baltimore's about the only one I got right! :LOL:

And I give notice that I am presently re-thinking those predictions, I made a few hours ago, about Superbowl contenders. :ROFLMAO:
Is there a limit on how many times I can re-think that? :unsure::LOL:

I didn't see that Saints game. What happened to their offense?

I know most all good teams can have bad games, but that low score from them, is surprising.
The other games were closer, even though they had unexpected outcomes.

I didn't see that Saints game. What happened to their offense?

I know most all good teams can have bad games, but that low score from them, is surprising.
The other games were closer, even though they had unexpected outcomes.

I didn't watch that game either .. Brees' offensive line just didn't show up ... he was sacked 6 times, and no TDs for the day

Last edited:
Thanks, Bonnie.
Yes, the offensive line having trouble, or injuries, would explain it.

I have noticed that's partly why 49ers Garoppolo does so well. He gets protected by the O-line, for a long time, and for a wide area, so he has more options than many of the other QB's.

In ancient history, the college all-star team played the NFL champs for that year.
The college all-stars got two weeks to practice ( I think it was two weeks) the NfL champs took the game lightly, got beat a couple of times.
The NFL teams saw it as a 'pain,' the college all-stars viewed it as an opportunity to 'strut their stuff.'
In the 70", s game was canceled for lack of interest.

Kaila thinks the Seni-Pro teams like Ohio State, 'bama... could beat some of the pro teams, If they let the college teams play as a unit
they would surprise some of the lesser pro teams.

The 'biggie' college teams that field seni-pro teams, tell me again they do not violate NCAA recurting rules.

Camper 6,
Your Vikes stifled 'boy's running attack, Vikes offensive line puzzled
'boy's. Well, you just wait for adjustments at half-time: 'boy's made no adjustments, were beaten soundly both halfs- good game Vikes.

Mr. Jason Garrett showed us he was the coach of the 'boys.
(When you score a touchdown, you kick the extra point, you only attempt
2 point conversions in particular circumstances.)
So, here is Mr. Garrett holding one his index finger, 'kick field goal for one point,'...Well thanks, Mr. Garrett that was out intention. He did it again when
'boys scored second touchdown.
This is the most animated behavior Mr. Garrett has ever exhibited.
A local sportscaster, who has close to be fired several times for pushing too far, had a great time after the game, regarding Mr. Garrett's finger.

Not to worry, 'boy's fans are used to peculiar events.

Boy's will beat Pats (if not they need to leave town).

Bonnie
Yes, a bunch of the 'good guys,' all jumped into the tank.
Oh well, gives us a chance to say, 'I remember 2019, when....'

Last edited:
In ancient history, the college all-star team played the NFL champs for that year.
The college all-stars got two weeks to practice ( I think it was two weeks) the NfL champs took the game lightly, got beat a couple of times.
The NFL teams saw it as a 'pain,' the college all-stars viewed it as an opportunity to 'strut their stuff.'

61adbf6d064fa2c0.jpg

Oh, the good ole days ...

... https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...he-college-all-star-game-came-to-a-rainy-end/

On July 23, 1976, the Super Bowl champion Steelers played what would become the last College All-Star Game. A horrific thunderstorm broke out in the third quarter, and video of the gamehas to be seen to be believed: Not only was the storm like something out of a disaster movie, but when the college team’s coach, Ara Parseghian called a timeout to try to get his players organized in the monsoon, the fans took the opportunity to storm the field.
Eventually the game was called off in the third quarter, both because of lightning and because those fans on the field had torn down the goal posts and showed no signs of being willing to vacate. The Steelers led 24-0 at the time the game was called.
And that was the end of the College All-Star Game, for that year and forever.

Last edited:
No more undefeated teams for this season. The 49ers fell to the SeaHawks in OT.
That was a crazy game. I am a diehard Seahawks fan. I have been since 1977. I used to live in Washington state and the Hawks pulled me in when Zorn to Largent was the rage.
Anyways, this current team I call “the cardiac kids” because they literally almost give me a heart attack every week. Every game no matter the opponent comes right down to the end. The only game they have won comfortably this season was their first against Arizona. They are 8-2 but I still can’t believe it because they have barely beat crappy teams.

Okay, Bonnie, your the Browns fan-right?
Yea, yaaaaa, come on beat those Pittsburg guy, yaaa!

Qarterbacks: Mayfield, may be a good qb, but:

David Carr was 1st round pick by Texas in 2002, he was a great college Qb.

He labored for five years with this brand new team; the team was pitiful, just
pitiful. David Carr was squashed, beat on, knocked silly for five years.
He became gun shy, expecting every play to get his head knocked off.
He was ruined, he was traded, became a backup for several pro teams.

(Derek Carr is current qb of Raiders-injured reserve, I think)

Mayhfield is showing signs of being gun shy; who can blame him-he spent a lot of last year having his head handed to him.

On the other hand:
Archie Manning ( Peyton and Eli's pappy) labored with the Saints for 13 years.
getting mangled ever Sunday. Saints never had a winning season while Archie was qb,- no supporting cast for Archie, no nothing, for i3 season.

I wonder if Pappy told his sons, 'Boy's when you take the field take a lot of
aspirin.

I wonder why one qb can take pain and not flinch, while others show the effects on chronic fear.

Last edited:
I'm in Houston @jerry r. garner
... suffered thru those early years when David Carr was here. It just wasn't fair to him.

Anyone see Thursday Night's game last night? .... Steelers vs Browns ... what a brawl, just disgusting!

"Your supposed to leave room to explain why you're posting the video dipstick. How the folks going to know there supposed to scroll down to next post.",
"Oh."
Yes, it is baseball, I know, I know, were supposed to be talking about football.
Post 270, around the 12 minute mark, Marichal discusses how he and his team: Dominican Republican Air Force Team, lost a double header; the entire team were thrown in jail for five days.
Never hear of such, couldn't resist!

In view of last night's game: Brown and Steelers' with the Helmet Incident:.
1. Fights in sports will occur: In football, it is part of the game.
However, when you use an object (a football helmet) that is no longer a typical sports brawl with a lot of pushing and shoving;
it is a felony.

2. In 1965, Giant Picture, Juan Marichal hit Dodger Catcher, Johnny Rosenboro
in the head with a baseball bat.
That too is a felony!

Why am I mixing baseball and football?
In both baseball and football games, the city assigns a certain number of police due to the large number of people for crown control, traffic, possible fights in the stands...
In addition, the clubs hire off-duty policeman to act as security guards.
In both incidents there were police officers present when a felony occurred. They made no arrest, took no one to jail...

It is difficult to hurt someone when they are wearing pads, helmets...
The removal of the helmet is an automatic ejection, have no idea the penalty
for ripping off the helmet of an opponent.
I know it is a rough division, Ravens and Steelers will, 'mash your meat.'

You will not see this Steeler player again this season, and you shouldn't.
The commissioner only recourse is to hit these players in the pocket book,
given the salaries of today's players- that is a big hit.
I would suspend for the remainder of this season and all of next season.

Last edited:
More off topic stuff: 1972-77
Conrad Dobler reputation as the nastiest man in football was earned by a marginal player who had to get his opponent concentrating more on getting even with Dobler than the football game they were playing; he was successful.

When he was traded from the St. Louis Cardinals to the New Orleans Saint's
his comment was:'
'I've been promoted, from a cardinal to a saint.'

Bonnie:
Ooops!
Went through post to find Clevaland Fan, though it was you; I guess I need a list of who's who.
David Carr, I saw his in first, second year. He could have been the catalyst
for the team, but the front office did not pursue offensive linemen.
I remember telling a guy a work, 'Watch this kid.'
More and more we realize it's the front office decisions on personnel that make a winning team. Great player's cannot play the game alone.

Last edited:
Week 11 in the NFL – Still wild, not as crazy as Week 10
Compiled/edited from Cam Inman, Bay Area Newsgroup and Benjamin Hoffman, NY Times. Re-edited with irreverent snark by Lethe200. My personal additions in italics.

Thursday Night: Steelers 7, Browns 21.
In an AFC North battle, the (5-5) Steelers visited the (4-6) Browns. With only 14 seconds left in the game, Browns DE Myles Garrett grabbed Steeler QB Mason Rudolph as he threw a pass, rode him to the ground, and the fight was on. Garrett ended up yanking Rudolph's helmet off, then hit him with it. Garrett was tossed on an automatic ejection, then suspended for the rest of 2019 along with an undisclosed fine. Both teams were fined $250K and other lesser suspensions/fines will follow: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-swing-fallout-player-reactions-more-to-know/

#1 Must Watch: Texans at Ravens - Ravens are favored. Agree.
Why? Because these are two of the best young signal callers in the NFL right now. Baltimore’s Lamar Jackson has drawn heaps of praise for his play this season — rightly so — but Houston’s Deshaun Watson is a more polished passer who can be just as exciting on any given play. Watson uses his speed and elusiveness to move around in the pocket and to allow plays to develop, almost like a right-handed Steve Young, in an upward trajectory of his three-season career. He is on pace for career bests in completion percentage (70.2), passer rating (107.1), interception percentage (1.7), yards per game (270.2) and sack percentage (7.6).

Each team has a defense that generates turnovers, and each has a running game that wears out the opposition. But both teams are weaker on pass defense and better against the run. Considering Watson’s distinct advantage as a passer, that could keep things close.

Patriots at Eagles – Pick: Patriots. Disagree - I think the Eagles may surprise the odds.
The X-factor in this game is motivation. NE is coasting, a division title wrapped up no matter what. A win clinches their 19th straight winning season, one season shy of the Dallas Cowboys (1966-85). Philadelphia is in a fierce fight in the NFC East and can’t afford to make any mistakes, especially at home. This could be an upset only if NE runs into one of the Eagles' 50/50 "good weeks".

Cardinals at 49ers - Pick: Niners. I disagree (and I'm a Niners fan).
Thanks to QB Kyler Murray, the Cards are one of two teams to pass for more than 200 yards against San Francisco’s suffocating defense this season. That’s not to say Arizona should expect an upset, but the Niners are suffering the same injury hex that hit them last year.

This young team is really banged up at critical positions. Neither D nor O will be at the level they were the first time they squeaked by the Cards 28–25 in Week 9. They are better than last year, but they lack sufficient depth.

The Niners gave up that dramatic Monday Night loss to Seattle lacking their starting center, two best receivers, and starting kicker – then announced Ronald Blair, the DE who sacked QB Russell Wilson in the fourth quarter, tore his ACL on that play and is out for the season.

Joe Staley, a stalwart on the all-important OL, had just returned from a six week injury stint; only to have to go into surgery the next day for surgery on his fingers. Their best RB, Matt Breida, is out again after aggravating an ankle injury. It is possible neither TE George Kittle nor WR Emmanuel Sanders may play (both are on day-to-day status) vs the Cards. Lacking his two favorite targets, Niner QB Jimmy G must deal with a mediocre crop of second-string players who suffer from lack of experience, the dropsies, and often both. He's good, but not good enough yet to overcome bad players around him. Wait till next year.

Saints at Buccaneers – Pick, Saints
The Saints have to be favored over the Bucs....but that depends on which Saints team shows up. The team which won 7 games to the Bucs' paltry 3 wins? Or the team that got manhandled last week by the 1–7 Atlanta Falcons – in New Orleans!

I watched that game – in all the years I've watched a Drew Brees-led team, I don't think I've ever seen them look flatter or more disjointed. His OL line played atrociously – the Falcons made more sacks in that one game than they had gotten all year IN TOTAL before Week 10. His receivers never could get open, the running game went nowhere. Several times the TV announcers commented the Falcons were playing the way everyone expected the Saints to do, and vice versa.

Sunday’s Other Games

Jaguars at Colts - Pick: Colts. Agree.
The Colts (5-4) are welcoming back QB Jacoby Brissett, who has been terrific as an unexpected starter in Indianapolis; while Brian Hoyer, who filled in for him last week, was comically bad. It’s impossible to say how the Jaguars will look with QB Nick Foles again under center after popular back-up Gardner Minshew returns to the bench. But the smart money is on the home team.

Cowboys at Lions - Pick: Cowboys. Agree.
The Cowboys OL has struggled in pass protection since Tyron Smith left Week 4 with an ankle injury. The Cowboys (5-4) have been almost twice as likely to allow a hurry within 3 seconds, contributing to their offensive stumbles. The assumption is the team will not let another win slip through their fingers as they did last Sunday night against the Vikings. But if Lions QB Matthew Stafford plays, it could be an actual game.

Broncos at Vikings - Pick: Vikings. Agree.
Denver sneaked a win last week over Cleveland, but the Vikings (7-3) will be a more capable opponent. Minnesota’s last six games have included five wins and a 3-point loss to Kansas City, thanks to Gary Kubiak helping reshape the team’s offense to better suit Kirk Cousins. The Vikes will probably run the ball, taking advantage of Denver's poor run D.

Bears at Rams - Pick: Rams. Agree.
Last year the Rams went to the Super Bowl and are now suffering the usual SB doldrums. Expected to be the NFC West leader, instead they are mired in third (5–4) behind SF and Seattle. They will be meeting both teams in the second half of the season; plus they'll have to get past not only the Bears, but also the Ravens and the Cowboys. The Rams seem to have lost confidence in Todd Gurley, which has left Jared Goff susceptible to pressure.

Bills at Dolphins - Pick: Bills. No opinion.
Are the Dolphins good, by any stretch of the imagination? No. Are the Bills (6-3) as good as their record suggests? Also no. When these teams played in Buffalo, the Bills won by 10, and another win this week is likely. Bills RB Frank Gore is looking to move past Barry Sanders for the No. 3 spot on the NFL’s all-time rushing list. Still, Miami (2–7) is the only AFC East team on a two-game winning streak, and they're at home.

Falcons at Panthers - Pick: Panthers. Agree.
The Falcons (2–7) are now officially the NFL's 2019 "anything can happen on any given week" team. An underwhelming (and sometimes horrible) team on both sides of the ball, Atlanta obliterated the Saints last week in the season's biggest upset. The Panthers (5-4) are nowhere near as good as the Saints, and Christian McCaffrey will be aiming for a rushing touchdown in his eighth straight game, despite a sore foot. Expecting high-level consistency out of Atlanta is moot. But QB Matt Ryan might be able to make enough plays to keep this game close or engineer a second straight upset, especially if Falcons' RB Brian Hill can find easy running room against Carolina's poor run D.

Bengals at Raiders - Pick: Raiders. Agree.
Raiders QB Derek Carr is leading a unit that has scored at least 24 points in six consecutive games. That streak should hit seven against the lowly Bengals, and Oakland should win at home. Rookie RB Josh Jacobs has established himself as a terrific find, justifying the Raiders' first round pick. The Bengals (0-9) won't get into the win column this week.

Jets at Redskins - Pick: Redskins. No opinion.
While neither team is going anywhere, the Redskins (1-8) have consistently been worse. Redskins rookie quarterback Dwayne Haskins will have to grow up fast to deal with Jamal Adams, the Jets safety who was named to the Pro Football Writers' 2017 NFL All-Rookie Team.

Monday’s Matchup – Chiefs at Chargers (playing in Mexico City). Pick: Chiefs. Agree.
KC could write off a 3-pt loss last week to the Titans as a fluke. The concern is KC has now lost winnable games at home to Tennessee and Indianapolis, with no key injuries to blame for either letdown. The Chargers (4-6) are coming off a truly ugly loss to Oakland, and they have to be shaken by that poor passing game. LA's RB Melvin Gordon has been on a roll recently, with an opportunity for a big game here. KC allows 148.1 yards on the ground (31st in the league).

Thanks for all of that, @Lethe200

As for the top section, that is interesting that you foresee some upsets, there.
Phil over Pats, you said....I say okay to that, it's possible...though I don't think so.
But Ariz over 49ers? Wow, 49ers must be sputtering …..

And, the Saints; That last game must have been shocking to watch. I didn't get to see how that happened, but was told above in this thread, the O-line, as you said too.
But you think they will recover themselves enough for the Bucc's…. Yes, I would guess so.

That Houston/ Balt game would be interesting toss-up.

Jax at Colts... I think QB Foles might do well , and Jaguars might win that one.

Dallas is another very inconsistent team, this year. Who knows, how they'll do, each week...:unsure:

Btw, Seattle never surprises me, with their many comeback wins, this year and previous ones, with QB Wilson.

And Jets at Wash...NO OPINION? WHy? :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Back