Football Season

Sunday morning, time change and all .... we will have an NFL game from London, England at 8:30AM CST ... Texans play Jacksonville.
Teams are already over there getting ready.

Looks like SF is dead serious, hope they can hold it together against Seahawks,
both games.
Still have not caught Pats on TV, want to see this 'chewing gun' offense

If you're going to watch the Pats, you best concentrate on the defense. Their offense has sputtered this year and that's being generous. A decent pass rush pushes their offensive line all over the field and with Brady "semi-immobile", if he doesn't get his pass off in 2 seconds, he's dead. He's thrown more balls away this year than I've ever seen him do in the past.

The defense has scored more TD's than they've given up this year and that's what's kept the Pats on top.

Bonnie and DaveA
Will watch of BB and his application of 'chewing gun' offense and defense.
I'm a casual Pat fan, at best.
DaveA I used to watch SF when Walsh was coach, they'd dink, dat down the field and score.
I'd turn to by brother-in-law
"How they'd do that?"
"Watch"

Like Raiders when All Davis was running thing:
I still like the long pass...
The Raiders were a ornery bunch
Enjoyable, but did not care for their 'winning by intimation,' rather than skill.

In their Glory Days, the 'Black and Blue Division: 60's--70's
Lions
Bears
Vikes
Green Bay
Would beat the hell out of each other

Dick Butus (sp) linebacker for Bears, was nasty, nasty...
I lived in Detroit during that era, Lions hated that man. He would send
Lions to training room, 'patch me up.'
He was a good player, not great, but good, his savagery on every play made him greatly feared.
'Unnecessary Roughness," was a penalty much ignored in defensive and offensive line.

I watched the first half of the Niners VS Ariz, on Thursday.
(Mostly because there was nothing else to watch, and I was curious how the 49ers are doing THAT well, as they are)

I know QB Garoppolo is decent and was taught well, by the Pats, but I didn't think he is as great as their record of all wins implies he is.

He definitely looked highly skilled, but it seemed like he has a spectacular offensive line to protect him all day long, and also it gives him the entire field, side-to-side, to use as well.

Anyone who can throw well, would improve even more, with that line of protectors!

Their defense was excellent as well, so now i can see why they might get all the way to the Superbowl.

I wouldn't count out Saints,
or Russell Wilson and Seattle, but they lost or just barely won, most of their games. They lost to Baltimore.

Oh, The Pats defense will have a huge challenge with Baltimore's varying offense play options, this Sunday evening.

And btw, that would be a notable match-up, for Superbowl of Brady/and BB, VS Garopollo,
though they both have competing teams that could knock them out, between now and then.

Last edited:
Oh, Garopollo is too good-looking to be knocked around by opposing teams ...lol

2018_Jimmy_Garoppolo_%28cropped%29.jpg

(Before him, I had a thing for Vinny Testaverde) :)

The ladies posting know their ball-Huh?
I used to be knowledgeable, there are just two many teams, plus I've become
a casual fan due to several reasons-primarily the money, money, money...

Teams are supposed to rise to the top, remain contenders for 4-5, years, then fade, teams like the Pats are an anomaly.
There is a two hour NFL film on BB: part one centers on his days in Cleveland
his meetings with assistant coaches ...he made statement regarding Browns,
'Were a year away,' (from becoming dynasty)
Cleveland's new owner fired BB...that just might have been a mistake??????

I do like BB's bland approach on interviews.
Obviously, he is a very good coach, obviously he instills a will to win in his
players, obviously he can spot talent,...

We
've argued, 'Is it Brady, BB or both?
It is BB folks, I think he could do it without Brady (if an owner will give him time to build a tear).
He is going to retire any year now, so the question is mute.

Doubt that he will write a book; he will authorize a ghost writer as the offers will be too lucrative to turn down.
The straight info readers would like-don't think BB cares.

(You spoke on anomalies, then explain Yankees they seem oblivious to 'fading'-there always 'there.')

I agree @jerry r. garner that money can sure dampen the fan spirit.
I loved tailgating at Texans games in their early years, but retirement stopped that activity. I collected all the players autographs on a jersey back then. And sat field level for the games . .. the good ole days!!

Traveled to different stadiums ... did the"fan package" to San Francisco one year for a couple thousand. .. fun memories though.:)
Miami was my favorite stadium to visit, but it was way out of town.

Last edited:
:)
That must have been a lot of fun, Bonnie!

I've never done that, or been in one of those enormous stadiums, and with thousands yelling and cheering!:oops:

Perhaps we could start a different topic discussion, of Things we used to do, that were lots of fun, that we no longer do, but are glad we did, when we could! :D

But we'd have to shorten that title!:ROFLMAO:

Some of tomorrow's NFL games look like they will be blowouts.

Spot any possible upset wins, anyone?

Some of the match-ups look like they will be ties....at 0 to 0 , for point scores. :ROFLMAO:
I dont want to name any. Just saying. :LOL:
Not too exciting to watch, those.
;)

Minn VS KC, might have some interest.

Bills likely to continue their unlikely roll. :)

I don't know how the teams handle it, who travel all the long way to London, and with differing time zones, etc, and game times, and play to the extreme needed for that sport.
Houston and Jax, this week it is. Not on my TV.

I think all the NFL games played out of the country are on NFL Network only. .. :(

Strange college schedule today! ... the three highest ranked teams are all off this week .... bummer (LSU, Alabama, OSU)

Last edited:
I agree with Jerry when it comes to "too many teams" and the money that gets tossed around. But it's the same in all of the major sports today. Money flows like water and play-offs have become mind-numbing. Teams with losing records are still in the hunt. Anything to keep fans in the seats and tuned into the games.

College ball has lost my interest entirely. That is the biggest farce foisted on the U.S. public. There is a whole level of teams that are head and shoulders above the rest of the "serious" colleges and universities where education is the main course, not football. Same teams, year after year, always on top'

They are nothing but NFL minor league teams. As in baseball, theyshould skip the phony B.S. and place them in a AAA level minor league. If you listen to SOME interviews with the players in the NFL who have "graduated??" from some of these school, they'd have trouble spelling C-A-T, if you gave them the C and the T. I've no problem with these fellows, but let's not pretend that they really have to "toe the mark" academically. Their purpose is two-fold. For the player it's a ticket to the NFL and the life changing salaries. I have no problem with that. The other side of the fold is to raise money for the school and give the alumni something to cheer about back at the local country club.

Recruit'em, pay 'em a decent minor league salary, and let 'em move up the pro ball ladder but keep the schools as educational institutes, not minor league franchises. That's my rant for the day. 😀

Week 8 had its ups and downs. Now we're into the serious second half of the season:

NFL Week 9 Predictions: Picks Against the Spread
Plan your Sunday however you wish, but set a reminder to watch the Baltimore Ravens host the New England Patriots (all game times EST–Daylight Savings Time has ended!)
NY Times by Benjamin Hoffman, Nov. 1, 2019
Edited with irreverence by Lethe200; her comments in italics.

Thursday’s Matchup: Niners get past the Cardinals to remain unbeaten
Jimmy Garoppolo threw a career-high 4 touchdown passes. SF was leading by 28-14 more than five minutes into the fourth quarter, when Arizona rallied to score 11 points for a final score of 28-25. Regardless, the 49ers improved to 8-0 for the first time since 1990 and just the third time in franchise history.

Niners' struggles may have been fatigue; they were playing on 3 days rest. 10 days of recovery time presents them with the biggest test of their season: Nov 11 Monday Nite Football vs arch-rivals Seattle Seahawks, who are in 2nd place behind them in the NFC West.

Patriots at Ravens, 8:20 p.m., NBC
According to NFL.com, NE is No. 1 in the NFL in total yards allowed a game, No. 2 in pass defense and No. 4 in rushing defense, with 19 interceptions. But the list of victims is not impressive. Pittsburgh, Miami, Jets, Buffalo, Washington, Giants, the Jets again and Cleveland: only one team has a winning record.

Now comes the real test. Lamar Jackson has been a sensation for the Ravens (5-2). Expecting a second-year quarterback to beat a Bill Belichick defense may be far-fetched. But if Jackson can keep his head and avoid turnovers, Baltimore could make this a close game. An upset is not entirely out of the question.

Last week Ravens D harassed Seattle's Russell Wilson and forced his first 2019 interception. But if anyone can handle Lamar Jackson, it might be Belichick's team. I agree on the Patriots, but this game is the week's "must watch".

Vikings at Chiefs, 1 p.m., Fox
The Chiefs (5-3) QB Matt Moore, who came out of retirement to be Mahomes’s backup, has played far better than expected. If Mahomes plays, even if he is limited, Kansas City could be favored over the Vikings (6-2), especially when you consider the team’s recent improvements at pressuring the quarterback. But if Moore starts, he should not be expected to perform well for a third straight week. There is a reason he was retired. Pick: Vikings. Agree if the KC QB is Moore.

Texans at Jaguars, 9:30 a.m., NFL Network
The Texans (5-3) present a challenge to the (4-4) Jaguars. TX QB Deshaun Watson got kicked in the face last week, sustaining a serious eye injury, but recovered to throw a go-ahead touchdown pass on the same play. It was the type of shocking display that a team can rally around for weeks, even with the devastating news that J.J. Watt is out for the rest of the season with a torn pectoral muscle. Pick: Texans. Agree.

Packers at Chargers, 4:25 p.m., CBS
The Pack had a rough win vs the Patrick Mahomes-less Chiefs last week. But the Chargers (3-5) would be on a four-game losing streak if not for Chicago kicker Eddy Pineiro shanking a 41-yard field-goal attempt last week. This should get the Packers back on track. Agree!

Sunday's Other Games
Browns at Broncos, 4:25 p.m., CBS

The morale of both teams is not great. The Browns (2-5) have Baker Mayfield is fighting the media. Both Odell Beckham Jr. and Jarvis Landry are walking wounded. Broncos (2-6) QB Joe Flacco publicly criticized the team’s offensive approach and then was declared too injured to play. Flacco will be replaced by Brandon Allen, a 27-year-old out of Arkansas who has never thrown a pass in the NFL There is no way of knowing how Allen will perform in his first pro game but Denver’s defense, with help from Mayfield’s turnovers, may take care of the scoring. Pick: Broncos. Agree.

Bears at Eagles, 1 p.m., Fox
The Eagles (4-4) look dominant some weeks but inept in others. A home game against the Bears (3-4) shouldn’t require any defensive reinforcements, especially not with Eagles receiver DeSean Jackson and RB Darren Sproles returning for the offense. Pick: Eagles. Agree.

Colts at Steelers, 1 p.m., CBS
The Colts (5-2) have won three consecutive exciting games. Steelers (3-4) have won their last two games, but did not face real competition. Colts are a narrow favorite, but if Pittsburgh RB James Conner (shoulder) cannot suit up, this might be an easy road win for the Colts. Pick: Colts. Agree.

Titans at Panthers, 1 p.m., CBS
Can Titans (4-4) QB Ryan Tannehill can keep the ball rolling? Or will Panthers (4-3) QB Kyle Allen pick up his dream season again as the fill-in for the injured Cam Newton? Allen threw three interceptions to the SF Niners D last week. It's a tossup, but NYTimes picks the Panthers. I guess I agree, but it's hard for me to put faith in Tannehill.

Buccaneers at Seahawks, 4:05 p.m., Fox
Seahawks (6-2) have the NFL’s ninth most productive rushing offense, but it is a system of repetition, not one of efficiency. Seattle averages an impressive 130 yards per game, but it does so on just 4.1 yards a carry. That may not get far against the Bucs (2-5) who lead the NFL in both rushing D (68.6 yards per game) and fewest yards per carry (3.0). Seattle’s defensive shortcomings may bite them, even with QB Russell Wilson on their side. Pick: Seahawks.

Agree: Bucs QB Winston doesn't always rise to the occasion; but SHawks QB Wilson very often does. The Bucs secondary is awful; its pass defense currently ranks 25th. It’s dead last in terms of yards allowed per game (304.5 ypg). The secondary is tied for the seventh-most touchdowns allowed (11) and 36.4 percent of passes have gone for a first down (12th worst).

Lions at Raiders, 4:05 p.m., Fox
In spite of Lions QB Matthew Stafford productive yardage stats, the Lions (3-3-1) never seem to be very good. The Raiders (3-4) allow an average of nearly 290 passing yards a game, so expecting Stafford to throw for 400 or more would not be unrealistic. Nor would expecting Stafford to do so and still lose. Pick: Raiders.

Agree. Raiders are not a very good team, but the Road Trip From Hell is finally over and despite the Oakland Coliseum being a genuine falling-apart dump, the fans are likely to give their beloved team an emotional boost. There are only 6 home games left before the Raiders leave for LVegas, so the place will be packed for every one of those games. Also, Raiders vs Chargers for Week 10 Thurs Nite Football, at Oakland, may feature two tired teams.

Jets at Dolphins, 1 p.m., CBS
The Dolphins (0-7) have people speculating about whether they are the worst team in NFL history, but it’s possible the Jets (1-6) are in a worse place emotionally. That their best player, Jamal Adams, publicly berated the Jets for considering trading him after he asked to stay through the rebuilding process says a lot. This game is a tossup, regardless of a talent imbalance, so if you insist on placing a bet, go with the home underdog. Pick: Jets. No opinion. This is a game for die-hard fans or masochists.

Redskins at Bills, 1 p.m., Fox
The Bills (5-2) had lost only one game, to NE, and were expected to continue streaking against an inconsistent Eagles team. Instead they were crushed, looking inferior to Philadelphia on both sides of the ball. There should be no such issues against the Redskins (1-7). Buffalo should get back on the winning track, but a big spread is hard to justify for a team that has such a conservative approach. Pick: Buffalo. Agree.

Monday’s Matchup: Cowboys at Giants, 8:15 p.m., ESPN
The Cowboys (4-3) are coming off a bye, with morale high after a Week 7 win against Philadelphia in which the return of Tyron Smith and La’el Collins allowed Dallas to suddenly run the ball again. The Giants (2-6) lost a shootout last week, with Daniel Jones finally having a good game after three stinkers in a row. Beating the Cowboys, especially at home, is a major goal of any Giants quarterback, but keeping this one fairly close is a more reasonable aim. Pick: Cowboys. Agree

Recruit'em, pay 'em a decent minor league salary, and let 'em move up the pro ball ladder but keep the schools as educational institutes, not minor league franchises. That's my rant for the day.

Not a bad rant, Dave. :)
And not a bad idea. Separating a minor league concept, from educational schools.

It would be nice to also have physical and fun activities that more students at colleges could actually participate in, anyway, to add a bit of a different perspective, to your rant. ;)

set a reminder to watch the Baltimore Ravens host the New England Patriots

I agree that this should be an interesting match-up, however it goes.

Colts have surprised me recently, too.

Miami looked poised to win their game last week, until they did more odd things that continue to feed the "intent on tanking" theory. So we will see how badly they seem to want to lose this one. I don't think it's the players, but the game plan, there.

Bronco's (without Flacco) over Cleve? I am not sure about that pick. Though i agree that the Browns have not impressed.

DaveA
Tell me Ohio State, Alabama, (Oklahoma ?) aren't second string NFL players,
made available for Saturdays, go on tell me: it 'ain't true Joe, tell me it ain't true
(Shoeless Joe Jackson, Black Socks)
Kaila got me to tweaked my brain about 0-O games. Saw Cowboys and Lions
play to 5-0 in 60's; keep viewers on edge of seat. All the Lions had to do was
get one touchdown; sixty minutes of nerves.
So, 0-0, Google says 1943, Giants and Lions played to 0-0 tie, cautions alleged 0-0 games reported are suspect. Today, TV demands 3 Overtimes 'Viewers do not like tie games.'
(Baseball-saw Koufax and Bob Gibson get close)

We would be watching football, baseball in Antarctica if TV demands it.
They wanted soccer (cheaper contract), soccer is making roads into programing.
Prepare yourself, your going to be watching wrestling, two-three weeks ago
Fox had it on prime time.
"Are they going to have midgets wrestling?"
"If it sells, you betch'a"

Four or Five hours, my brain was still itching about 0-0. it rang a distance bell,
but what?
Finally arrived!
Jim OTTO, jersey # 00, what else would you expect from a guy with two zeros
in his name? I suppose didn't have to wear a jersey with TT on it, probably
would have, if Al Davis had thought of it.

Last edited:
^^ ..from Jerry's post
So, 0-0, Google says 1943, Giants and Lions played to 0-0 tie, cautions alleged 0-0 games reported are suspect. Today, TV demands 3 Overtimes 'Viewers do not like tie games.'

iu

Bizarre game going on in London this morning. Texans up 26 - 3 over the Jaguars, with only a few minutes to go.
It's been interesting and a bit wild, especially the 3rd quarter.... Looked like both teams were putting on a show for the crowd over there.

Locally we got the game on FOX

Vikings at Chiefs coming up!

Last edited:
Yes. saw a smidge of game in London-Were going to tap that market regardless
of how it screws up the players orientation of time.

Stats for first half: Eagles gained 12 yards, Bears 9. that is a weird stat.

Is Mahomes playing or not- get updates, but they do not tell me about Mahomes?
Finally, in 4th quarter: 'Mahomes not playing.'

I didn't know, but found out today,
that the owner of Jax'ville Jags NFL Team, also owns Wembley Stadium in London,:oops:

and probably they sell more tickets there, than to home games in Jax'ville. :rolleyes:

So that contributes to the situation, as well, of more games being played over there, despite the travel strains on players.

Vikings/Chiefs game was very close, and KC won by a field goal kick, in final seconds, even without Mahones.
That's another boost for Packers (in Minn's division).
As is the numerous dubious penalty calls favoring Pittsb Steelers, who got a close win over Colts, Which is a boost for Houston.(in Colts division)

Back