Football Season

If I were to ever go back to following NFL football my team would still be Green Bay. Because Green Bay plays football the way it is supposed to be played. In the rain, in the snow, in the mud, and in the sub zero temperatures. None of those sissy climate controlled domed stadiums for them.

Last edited:
If I were to ever go back to following NFL football my team would still be Green Bay. Because Green Bay plays football the way it is supposed to be played. In the rain, in the snow, in the mud, and in the sub zero temperatures. None of those sissy climate controlled domed stadiums for them.

Enjoyed watching that on a day like today ..😰

Love New England but right now I am proud of my Texans team as last night they won a pre season game and I am having Papa John's veggie pizza half price because of it. I don't like the kneeling either and there is a big difference between respecting the flag and down right corruption. Those that kneel could take their millions and donate to their cause and we should prosecute those that commit crimes. That's my opinion and I am sticking with it. Love the Andy Griffith piece. Had forgotten about it. Loved his work.

There are three combat veterans in my family and I consider that a personal slap in the face when those individuals did that my family members fought and died for their right to do it and they’re going to do it but I think it’s disgusting🤮
Sorry for going off-topic....but were you aware that it was a veteran who suggested to Kaep that he kneel instead of remaining seated?

Sorry for going off-topic....but were you aware that it was a veteran who suggested to Kaep that he kneel instead of remaining seated?

I did not know that. Thanks for sharing that bit of info. I had several uncles, and a brother who all were proud veterans, as well. I am in favor of a respectfull protest, rather than a violent one.

the thread about the money these guys make is well worth the read.
college football is the only alternative; however, I am unsure of the purity of
even college ball.

I live in the Cleveland area and we have the Browns for a team. I have not watched football because I really haven't understood the game but I figure if I watch I may discover what they are doing and why...:) I don't know if we have a good team this year or not but will see.

What is your team and do you watch them?

The first football game I ever watched was the '92(?) Superbowl when the Bills played the Redskins. The Bills being the closest NFL team to me geographically, I was really curious about all the hype going on around here. So I watched it, and by the end I knew a little more about the game than I did in the beginning, but not much.

That turned me into an NFL -- and Bills specifically -- fan. Although I am considered a "fair-weather" fan because when they stunk for most of the past 20 years I didn't pay much attention to them. But it's getting interesting again.

The game in a nutshell: Each team gets four attempts ("Downs") to gain at least 10 yards in their drive to get the ball in the endzone. If they get at least 10 yards then they continue with a fresh set of four "downs." If they fail to get at least 10 yards, after four tries, they then forfeit the ball and the other team gets it.

Good luck!

The first football game I ever watched was the '92(?) Superbowl when the Bills played the Redskins. The Bills being the closest NFL team to me geographically, I was really curious about all the hype going on around here. So I watched it, and by the end I knew a little more about the game than I did in the beginning, but not much.

That turned me into an NFL -- and Bills specifically -- fan. Although I am considered a "fair-weather" fan because when they stunk for most of the past 20 years I didn't pay much attention to them. But it's getting interesting again.

The game in a nutshell: Each team gets four attempts ("Downs") to gain at least 10 yards in their drive to get the ball in the endzone. If they get at least 10 yards then they continue with a fresh set of four "downs." If they fail to get at least 10 yards, after four tries, they then forfeit the ball and the other team gets it.

Good luck!
Thanks for that info. I'm going to bookmark it so I can read it again when I'm not so tired.

Retired Army Green Beret Nate Boyer wanted him to stand, felt sitting which is what Kap had been doing was disrespectful, so finally talked him into kneeling instead of sitting. Regardless, it's always been interesting to me that he started taking his stand after his on field performance tanked and he'd lost the starting quarterback job. Due to that timing, I wonder where the line was between seeking attention for the cause and seeking attention because he was no longer relevant as a starter. Think he does care about the cause, but it would've meant more had he made his point when he was playing well.

https://www.npr.org/2018/09/09/6461...-player-who-advised-kaepernick-to-take-a-knee

Excerpt from the NPR link article:

BOYER: You know, this was two years ago, 2016 during the preseason. And he, you know, had sat on the bench. And I think it was actually his third time he'd sat on the bench. But it was the first time it had received national attention. And, you know, he got questioned about it, and he said, well, I'm not going to stand for the flag of a country that oppresses black people and people of color. And then he talked about, you know, social injustices and police brutality and why he thought, you know, he shouldn't be standing for the anthem.​
And it struck a chord with me, of course, and it struck a chord with a lot of people - a lot of people in the veteran community as well - because obviously the flag and the anthem and what that stuff stands for means something, you know, very different to us. And I was pretty upset, you know, just because I felt like he didn't understand what those symbols really represent. And - but instead of letting my anger overwhelm me, I decided to relax a little bit, and I wrote this open letter that was just explaining my experiences, my relationship to the flag.​
And Colin actually reached out, said he wanted to meet with me. And we sat in the lobby of the team hotel, discussed our situation, our different opinions and feelings about all this. And I suggested him taking a knee instead of sitting even though I wanted him to stand, and he wanted to sit. And it was, like, this compromise that we sort of came to. And that's where the kneeling began.

Last edited:
At one time, I really enjoyed watching pro football. As a kid, I followed the Colts and Browns. My dad took me to my first ever pro game in Baltimore. The next game we went to was in Philadelphia to watch the Eagles.

Back then, before free agency, players were dedicated for much of their career to the team that drafted them, unless they were traded or sold. Today, players go to whatever team will pay them the most. No fan loyalty. I understand why they do it, but if the team you are playing for offers you $10 million a year and another team offers you $12 million a year, wouldn’t you rather stay in the city that gave you your start and the fans that supported you? Is $2 million extra all that important and remember, players receive multi-year contracts, so they could get a 5-year deal at $50 million versus $60 million, so now it’s a $10 million difference. Still wouldn’t change my mind.

I guess that I am just different. Spending 6 years in the Marines and 37 years as a State Cop taught me a great deal about loyalty. I could have left the state after 25, but really liked what I was doing, so why retire?

As for pro football, I will occasionally watch a game or part of a game, but I have a lot of other things that I can do on a Sunday. When I do watch a game, I see a lot of empty seats, which tells me that maybe other fans are staying home too. Of course, the teams that have perennial champions or make the playoffs every year still draw the crowds. And, I don’t even own one piece of any NFL fan clothing. I refuse to subsidize players salaries, including going to the stadium to watch a game. If I’m offered a free ticket, I may go. If it wasn’t for TV revenue, players wouldn’t receive the compensation that they do.

911 STATES
"Back then, before free agency, players were dedicated for much of their career to the team that drafted them, unless they were traded or sold. Today, players go to whatever team will pay them the most. No fan loyalty. I understand why they do it, but if the team you are playing for offers you $10 million a year and another..."

Sadly there is but one that exhibited values of merit: Pat Tillmen was offered appox 2-3 million (two or three year contract) by the LA Rams
to leave the Cardinals. "No, Ill stay with those that drafted me...they believed in me and stuck with me"
It took Tillman a couple years to blossom as a DB/linebacker.
As you know, Tillman while earning over a million a year, rejected football, joined army, was killed in ahghan because he believed in his country.
Our opinion on ahghan mess varies, but Tillman was an American hero, a real one, not manufactured by the press...
He is honored annually by many 'Pat Tillman Run's across the nation-a hero, a real one.

911 STATES
"Back then, before free agency, players were dedicated for much of their career to the team that drafted them, unless they were traded or sold. Today, players go to whatever team will pay them the most. No fan loyalty. I understand why they do it, but if the team you are playing for offers you $10 million a year and another..."

Sadly there is but one that exhibited values of merit: Pat Tillmen was offered appox 2-3 million (two or three year contract) by the LA Rams
to leave the Cardinals. "No, Ill stay with those that drafted me...they believed in me and stuck with me"
It took Tillman a couple years to blossom as a DB/linebacker.
As you know, Tillman while earning over a million a year, rejected football, joined army, was killed in ahghan because he believed in his country.
Our opinion on ahghan mess varies, but Tillman was an American hero, a real one, not manufactured by the press...
He is honored annually by many 'Pat Tillman Run's across the nation-a hero, a real one.
A true hero

There are others that played the game and were also called heroes. Rocky Bleier for one. YouTube him. It’s a great story.

@911 .. curious .. have you been to the Football Hall of Fame in Canton?
... I have on a couple occasions . .. we lived nearby years ago.

Last edited:

Back