Football Season

nap time for me and Texans

8:30 P.M. got out of bed, arch cowboy foe Aaron Rodgers up to his dirty tricks,
come on seahawks (never thought I'd say that

8:49 P.M. CST The bad one and his outlaw crew won; I hope SF beats the britches off of them, and KC beats the NFC winner really bad.

Last edited:
Yesterday's Chiefs/Oilers game was one of the best I've seen in years. The first quarter was a total disaster for the Chiefs, then they got their act together and put together one of the longest streaks of touchdowns in NFL history....and wound up totally dominating Houston. I hope they can continue this play against Tenn. Sunday and make it to the Super Bowl, for the first time in 50 years. Mahomes and Kelce should both be strong candidates for NFL player of the year.

BONNIE, YOUR A LSU FAN-RIGHT?
Where the college football fans?

Different topic: Baseball
Stealing signs: (The catcher flashes the picture on what kind of a pitch he wants, a simple high school method is the catcher puts down one finger for a fastball, two for a curve, three for a changeup.)

Stealing signs has been a part of baseball since it's inception and has always been considered a part of the game. If you know a curve ball is coming, you don't have to prepare yourself for a fastball, it makes it a lot easier to hit.

The Houston Astros were stealing sign by putting a telescopic TV camera in center field, which would transport the catcher's signs to the Astro's dugout.
Yes, it is far more high tech that craning your neck, hoping to see how many fingers the catcher puts down.

Organized baseball is more sophisticated, mixing the signs, flashing multiple signs and other tactics to confuse any potential sign stealer
( their supposed to be on guard as ballplayers are urged to steal singns whenever possible, beginning in their early teens)

So, the Astros got caught, fined 5 million by commissioner and banned manager and general manager for one year. Now the owner has fired both me).
I suppose using a TV Camera is illegal, but stealing signs is a part of the game. Those sinned against raise cane, pretending they do not
do the same things,

Yea, were going to punish these guys that are stealing the catchers signs...-horsefeathers!
It has been, will remain part of the game.

Last edited:
Note: I need to split this into two posts; it’s kinda long. Sorry!

Next Week’s Games (EST):
Sunday, No. 6 Tennessee Titans at No. 2 KC Chiefs, 3:05 p.m. CBS
pick: Chiefs

Sunday, No. 2 GB Packers at No. 1 SF 49ers, 6:40 p.m. Fox
pick: 49ers
+++++

What We Learned in the NFL’s Divisional Round
NY Times by Benjamin Hoffman Jan. 13, 2020 (annotations by Lethe in italics)
Here’s what we learned:

A little rest goes a long way.
Getting that weekend off appears to have set SF up for an extended run in the playoffs. The 49ers had three key D starters return from injuries on defense, resulting in an easy 27-10 win over Minnesota. One concern: QB Jimmy Garoppolo appeared to turn his ankle during the game, and then didn’t have to do much in the second half as the 49ers ran the ball on nearly every play. Could those two things be related? One bonus of the scheduling is that the 49ers, who played the early game on Saturday, will have the longest rest of any of the teams playing next week.

A lot of Patrick Mahomes goes a really long way. The Chiefs were down by 24-0 to the Texans early in Q2. But everything changed when Mahomes found Damien Williams for a 17-yds TD pass. The stadium came alive, Mahomes was invigorated and KC reeled off a playoff-record seven consecutive drives that ended in a TD. A FG was added for good measure in a 51-31 romp. Mahomes ended with 53 rushing yds to go with 321 passing yds and five TDs.

Derrick Henry is built for the playoffs. Henry, Tennessee’s unstoppable RB, had a terrific regular season that was just the appetizer for a postseason in which he has already rushed for 377 yds. Over the course of two games, Henry has helped eliminate the NFL’s defending champions Patriots and the team with the best record in the regular season, the Ravens.

On a terrible, no good, very bad day for the Ravens, they were run over by Derrick Henry, who then showed them up by throwing a TD pass for fun. Tennessee is not taking any chances, letting its workhorse run the ball a combined 64 times.

Beware of Mr. & Mr. Smith. You know what you get with the Packers. Aaron Rodgers will knock your socks off with a few deep passes, mostly to Davante Adams. In an added wrinkle this year, Aaron Jones will celebrate a TD on an inordinate number of plays: he did it 19 times during the regular season, and two more times on Sunday. But now Za’Darius and Preston Smith (no relation) have changed what you can expect from GB’s defense. The two had 25.5 sacks during the regular season, and each added two more on Sunday. Preston’s second sack crushed Seattle’s Russell Wilson late in the game, ending a drive that could have resulted in Seattle taking the lead. The huge stop allowed GB to preserve its 28-23 victory.

Absolutely nothing about Lamar Jackson’s record-breaking season changes. Jackson set an NFL record for a QB with 1,206 rushing yds, led the league with 36 TD passes and guided Baltimore to a 13-2 record in his 15 starts. Lamar Jackson’s season ended on Saturday, but not before he passed for 365 yds and ran for 143. A few key mistakes, combined with some brilliant offensive play by Tennessee, should not alter anyone’s view of the QB’s season. Jackson came back stronger from last season’s defeat, and after he picks up his Most Valuable Player Award on Feb. 1, he can set about coming back even stronger in the 2020 season.

Most of the Ravens team are age 25 or younger; expect them to be a top team for a good while.

(part 2 in separate post)

Part 2 from NYTimes, annotated by lethe200 in italics

The Weekend’s Top Performers

Top Passer: Patrick Mahomes

Passing was cool again this week. While the four wild-card games produced a total of six passing TDs, this weekend’s action had 16 in the same number of games, with Mahomes contributing five. His statistics were eye-popping, but the fact that he did not give up when his team was down by 24-0 was even more impressive.

Despite the justified hoopla on Lamar Jackson (yes, I loved watching him too), I expected Mahomes to be even better this year than his MVP season. He was indeed terrific, and once the KC D developed into a decent D the Chiefs improved their 2019 season. Travis Kelce is one of the two best TEs in the NFL and one of the most exciting players to watch on the field. Mahomes threw for over 900 yds more than Jackson, despite missing 2 games in 2019.

Most notably, Jackson’s performance in the Titans game showed where Mahomes is superior. Jackson’s good at throwing off-balance – but Mahomes is better than any QB I’ve ever seen at throwing from any angle or position. His reaction time and field of vision is unreal. I’ve seen him make completions that no other QB could, and that’s after 55 yrs of watching the NFL. And he’s only 24 yrs old!

Top Runner: Derrick Henry
Tennessee passed the ball far more than people realize during the regular season, but for the playoffs, they trust in Henry. His 195 rushing yds was the ninth-highest total in a playoff game since at least 1950, and resulted in his breaking the Titans-Oilers franchise playoff record for a second consecutive week. He also threw his first career TD pass.

Top Receiver: Davante Adams
Choosing between Adams and KC’s Travis Kelce is nearly impossible, as both had huge days, but Adams gets the nod because of how vital he was to GB’s victory. He accounted for 66 percent of Aaron Rodgers’s passing yds, caught both of the team’s TD passes and had a crucial 32-yds catch late in the fourth quarter to help ice the win. Kelce was as productive, but he had far more help.

One* Sentence About the Divisional Games (*Except when it takes more)
49ers 27, Vikings 10 SF’s commitment to the hot hand at RB is extreme: Tevin Coleman led the 49ers with 102 rushing yds and two TDs on Saturday after not having had more than 40 yds in any game since Week 8, when he had 105 rushing yds and four total TDs. Will Coleman get the ball again next week? Will Raheem Mostert? Is it Matt Breida’s turn? Not even they know.

Aaron Rodgers will be burning to make amends for the thrashing the Niners gave the Pack in Week 10. Plus his friends and family will be there again – he’s a “local boy” and desperately wanted to be drafted by the Niners, who took Alex Smith instead (and yes, all Niners fans cheered when the owners finally dumped that set of front office idiots).

Jimmy G. didn’t show well in the game but his most obvious error, the interception by the Vikes’ Kendrick, was called a “miscommunication” by the HC. Although JG shouldered the error, I really wondered about that. The throw was supposed to go to #19, Deebo Samuels, a talented but rookie WR who has made some noticeable errors this year in Shanahan’s VERY complex offense (it’s commonly said it takes 3 yrs to learn this offense). The Niners are in Year 2 of Shanahan’s playbook, which is why everyone expected 2020 to be the Niners’ playoff year, not the 2019 season.

Shanahan – like most good offensive coaches – runs a variant of Bill Walsh’s original West Coast offense. For passing plays it is based on the number of steps the QB takes, then throws – NOT to a receiver, but to a specific spot on the field.

But if you look at some of the video, Samuels has indeed turned around to look for the ball – but he’s 10 yds further down the field. I’m suspecting JG took the blame for the mistake so the media wouldn’t jump all over Samuels, especially after he later lost the ball on a fumble. I think Samuels wasn’t in the place he was supposed to be. If you want to call that a miscommunication, you could. But I’m not so sure it was JG’s fault.

Titans 28, Ravens 12 Ryan Tannehill threw for fewer than 100 yds for a second consecutive week, but it would be inaccurate to say that Tennessee’s second win of the playoffs was all Derrick Henry’s doing. Tannehill, playing in his second career playoff game, contributed two passing TDs — one of which went for 45 yds — and also ran for a score.

It's now a debate on the boards whether Harbaugh was right to rest his starters in the season’s last game. You want your players healthy and keep the risk low of getting hurt – but the Ravens looked rusty and uncoordinated from the very start.

OC Greg Roman did well most of the year, but flopped in this game. We’re familiar with him from SF and frankly, we don’t miss him. He’s a buddy of the Harbaughs and has followed them around the league. He has some good ideas, but then he clings to them too long and doesn’t adjust – a one-trick pony who just keeps changing from one trick to the next.

Jackson was undermined by his receivers dropping passes (6 total) plus Jackson’s first interception was a deflection off the hands of his TE Andrews. WR Seth Roberts had two drops: one a surefire first down, and the other a potential TD. He had the dropsies in Oakland, too; he just doesn't seem to be able to get over them despite 5 yrs in the league.

I’m not a fan of either Harbaugh as HCs. They are like Method actors; they only see one way to solve a problem. If it doesn’t work they just try it again later. RB Mark Ingram being injured meant the Titans D could concentrate on Jackson, flooding the edges so he couldn’t pick up run yds. Even the bland TV announcers didn’t understand Harbaugh’s terrible play calling with the QB sneak on the two 4-and-1 downs. The Titans D were teeing off on Jackson all day. WTH made Harbaugh think Jackson would succeed even once – but TWICE? Dumb is the only word to describe it.

Packers 28, Seahawks 23 Seattle saw its season end, but not before the 33-year-old Marshawn Lynch, who unretired, contributed three rushing TDs in the playoffs, and one in the regular-season finale. He still has what it takes to be a goal-pick back if he wants to play another season.

All of us in Oakland CA love Lynch and are only sorry he still feels allegiance to the Seahawks, LOL. Despite his dour, “boyz in the hood” persona, Lynch is one of the shrewder and thoughtful athletes around. Unlike many NFL’ers he is conservative with his earnings. He’s generous to charitable causes, especially local ones. RBs have short careers because they get the most worn-down by football’s physicality. His year off (he also keeps in excellent condition, unlike many) means if he wants to play one more year, there is probably a team who needs him.

This may be Rodgers’ last chance for a second SB ring. GB has less $$$ to spend than the other 31 teams on FA, so attrition keeps whittling down the talent pool. Can they beat the Niners? If the Niners Front Four on D are healthy, probably not. He got sacked 6x in the Week 12 loss.

And Niner DC Robert Saleh will have a point to prove after being passed over for the Browns HC job. Yes, all of us Niner fans are relieved, but nobody seems to understand what the Browns are thinking to hire what's-his-name. No wonder all that player talent goes to waste, LOL.

Chiefs 51, Texans 31 Houston tied for its second-most points in a game this season and still lost by 20, which says a lot about how incredible the Chiefs’ Patrick Mahomes’s offense is when everything is clicking.

In less than two quarters KC scored six consecutive TDs to reel off 41 straight points, making the score 41-24. The Chiefs scored so many times in such a short period they ran out of fireworks, which the team deploys after every TD. Mahomes finished with 321 yds on 23 of 35 passing and five TDs.

The normally reliable (and fast) Tyreek Hill and the KC receiving corps looked rusty after a bye week. They’ll need to ramp up against one of the best defenses next week. KC took advantage of Houston getting rattled. The Titans won’t make it so easy – but it’s a good bet the Chiefs will be looking for revenge for that 35-32 loss Week 10 in Tennessee. KC’s record in 2019 was 5 wins, 3 losses at home, so the odds favor them.

Last edited:
Part 2 from NYTimes, annotated by lethe200 in italics

Chiefs 51, Texans 31 Houston tied for its second-most points in a game this season and still lost by 20, which says a lot about how incredible the Chiefs’ Patrick Mahomes’s offense is when everything is clicking.

In less than two quarters KC scored six consecutive TDs to reel off 41 straight points, making the score 41-24. The Chiefs scored so many times in such a short period they ran out of fireworks, which the team deploys after every TD. Mahomes finished with 321 yds on 23 of 35 passing and five TDs.

The calls for firing Bill O'Brien (coach) in Houston are getting very loud. ...although that is nothing new around here.

Yes, KC is the pick. I never saw the Titians coming, still shake my head

Yes, 49's should win, but their is still a young squad and they are playing Fu Mancho and his minions, 'who knows what evil lurks in the mind of
a fellow like Aaron Rodgers 'The Shadow' has taught him how to cloud men's minds.
Would like to see Kc 48, Green Bay 3

Your 2nd post giving details on Rogers is all too true. He will be rocket-hot when they take the field.
I rather all Packer's go to bad place, but I do admire a man that don't quit. He will be cussing, kicking his offense to go, go...

Boy, Lethe 200 will put that football knowledge on you-Huh? You break everything down

Last edited:
Lsu vs Cle Really wanted to see this game. Yes, it as on a channel called ESPNU

Trying to see the players who are one inch high, with 6 commenters on 1/3 of the screen only makes one frustrated-what a disappointment.
You cannot get the ebb and flow of a game where you cannot see the players.

Now after the game has been played, their going to rerun it using a full screen-No thank you, ESPNU you are a disgrace.

Last edited:
Lsu vs Cle Really wanted to see this game. Yes, it as on a channel called ESPNU

Trying to see the players who are one inch high, with 6 commenters on 1/3 of the screen only makes one frustrated-what a disappointment.
You cannot get the ebb and flow of a game where you cannot see the players.

Now after the game has been played, their going to rerun it using a full screen-No thank you, ESPNU you are a disgrace.

The split screens were gawdawful. But thankfully figured out early on that the regular view was on another ESPN channel realtime. I'm sorry I didn't see your post til now ...would've directed you there.

Good question, Bonnie.

I think he's pick number 1.

But.... you never know what some NFL Exec will think or do...
If Burrow isn't number 1, then who do people here, think would be?

KAILA, YOUR SUPPOSED to be in bed, eating chicken soup, vicks salve and other...

Bengals have first pick
then Redskins
then lions and giants

John Elway was the only player I know who announced he who refused to play for the team with the #1 draft pick, (I think there was another one
but do not recall his name.)
Hot shot QB did not want to go to crummy teams, as they are louse all over, offensive line, defensive line...
The qb is dependent on offensive line to protect him from being maimed. Multi-million qb beat all to hell are not valuable.

All types of conversations will take place, 'I'd really like to play for a team that has a good offensive line."
'Sign here son, we'll get you the best offensive line possible."
'When?
'We'll trade, draft...
'So I get massacared by defensive line and linebackers for three, four years?'

Worst teams in protecting qb were Dolphins and giants
Beagles ranked #7, but still awful leaky

KAILA, YOUR SUPPOSED to be in bed, eating chicken soup, vicks salve and other...

Bengals have first pick
then Redskins
then lions and giants

John Elway was the only player I know who announced he who refused to play for the team with the #1 draft pick, (I think there was another one
but do not recall his name.)
Hot shot QB did not want to go to crummy teams, as they are louse all over, offensive line, defensive line...
The qb is dependent on offensive line to protect him from being maimed. Multi-million qb beat all to hell are not valuable.

All types of conversations will take place, 'I'd really like to play for a team that has a good offensive line."
'Sign here son, we'll get you the best offensive line possible."
'When?
'We'll trade, draft...
'So I get massacared by defensive line and linebackers for three, four years?'

Worst teams in protecting qb were Dolphins and giants
Beagles ranked #7, but still awful leaky

But all that maneuvering helps to keep things on a more level playing field ... supposedly.

I understand the goal of the level playing field, yet it still seems a bit of an oddity to me, and I think must be a bit strange for the players,

that while it is truly a great honor and accomplishment,
to be chosen as the #1 draft pick, (and more money too, I think?)
however;
then you land on one of those very desperate teams, that need far more than you , in order to succeed.

And whether or not the "parity" goal is arrived at, seems to depend on whether or not, many other changes are made, as well.

Thanks, Jerry. I am in bed often, and can sip my broth, from any location. :ROFLMAO:

I am always glad when i am able to pop in around here.

Ah well, only three more NFL games for this season.
cry.gif

But, by SB day (Feb 2) we will have one more hour of daylight since December 21 -- and that always helps my post-NFL depression!

How is Kaila doing tonight?
confused-2.gif

Hanging in here, OldD… thanks for the reminder that daylight will be increasing...I could use some of that, too!!!!!
It's good to see that you and your computer are not snowed in completely there, either.
❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄
I can just barely see over the snowbanks, to your post, here. :ROFLMAO:

I don't feel enthused for watching any of the Sunday games, but I will try, and hope they seem to be of some interest, at the time when they are on.

Back