For those vaccinated for covid 19, a question.

chic

SF VIP
What made you decide to get vaccinated with the covid 19 vaccine? No one knew much about it even in 2021 the year of rollout.

Was it for a health issue? Did you have a job that required vaccination? Would you have been prohibited from travel ? Would you have had to separate from people/groups that you liked? Other? Please share.

Have you received booster shots? How many boosters have you received? How many more will you take?

Are you in any way surprised the unvaccinated are still alive?

Thanks for your participation.

Well, when it first came out, I did considerable research to get answers. It turns out that mRNA research and development had been going on for over 20 years, and once I understood the mechanics of it, I had no concerns about getting the vaccine. It was a giant step in medical advancement that we will see a great deal more of in the future.
There was no health issue involved in my decision, and it was not required by anyone.
I have had the original, and 3 booster shots, and fully plan on getting another.
I am not surprised that some of the unvaccinated are still alive because, some were fortunate to avoid the virus, some who contracted it were not greatly affected (although it is not fully understood why), and some will have long lasting affects from it even though they survived. Sadly, an enormous number have died, who I believe would likely have been saved had they gotten the vaccines.
I realize there are non-believers, just as there were many that didn't believe in wearing masks during the pandemic, even though doctors and nurses in hospitals have know for over 100 years that it cuts down on transmission.
These are just my views and I don't push them on others, I was just answering because you asked.

I was on chemo during the lockdown & diabetic II, resistance was questionable & low.. Wife was on meds for heart. Only took the 1st dose & 2 followup boosters. After 2nd booster wife ended up in hospital with clots. They wouldn't say it had anything to do with the vaccines, but we decided enough was enough. Things have pretty much returned to normal, but have added blood thinners to our pharmacy. Didn't contract Covid, (knock on wood).

Would probably rethink our commitment after all we've been through. We totally ignore the conspiracy theorists, one of the reasons I quit FB back in 2016. We do our own thinking.

Last edited:
Roadwarrior, so glad Mrs. is still with us.
We had the first dose and were miserable the first week. We waited two months to get the second but never again. Felt terrible but the frightening part was waking up at 4:00 AM the following morning gasping for air. I stumbled to the living room and used my OxiMeter which was at 90, BP was near 100 and could barely walk. Of course the doctor discounted my experience so he will soon be discounted himself. (y)

What made you decide to get vaccinated with the covid 19 vaccine? No one knew much about it even in 2021 the year of rollout.
I thought it would protect me from Covid, and still believe that. Not as effective as I'd like but still a good idea.
No, from the beginning we knew that Covid did not kill most of those who got it. However statistics show that a few more of the vaccinated are still alive than the unvaccinated. Fortunately most of both are still alive and kicking.

chic wrote,
- - - - Are you in any way surprised the unvaccinated are still alive?- - - - -

Without this portion of your post, it was reasonable and sensible but - - -"was anyone still alive"???? I would guess that that the world's "overpopulation" problem would be at an end if all those who chose not to have the shots - - --expired !! In the big picture, that would be considered as a benefit to mankind.

I got the vaccine because of my age and an old heart condition that hasn't troubled me in years but could return. Had I been even 10 years younger I probably wouldn't have gotten it. I was trying to figure out my best chances.

I did have to separate from people and groups that I liked. I was very social then but everything shut down. Most of those groups have never resumed. Several of my friends died, mostly not from Covid but other things.

I had the two original shots and I've had two boosters. I didn't have any bad effects from the shots. I haven't had the latest booster and may not ever get it.

No, I'm not at all surprised that many of the unvaccinated are still alive and I'm not surprised that people who did get vaccinated have had Covid.

One more thing, I absolutely believe everyone should make their own decision without criticism.

I was a licensed foster parent for Child Protective Services (CPS) at the time, and my foster son, Paxton, was about a year
old. His parents were allowed to have supervised visits with him at my apartment, with me as the supervisor.

I went and got vaccinated twice for 2 reasons; CPS was considering requiring it for all licensed foster parents, and Paxton's mother had started bringing friends with her on her visits (!!!). When I reported that to CPS, they *advised* me to get vaccinated. I did because CPS always has the option of taking your kid and placing them in another foster home.

I also stopped allowing visitation at my apartment because Paxton's mother was totally breaking the rules, bringing people with her who I didn't know and who hadn't been screened by CPS....but that's a separate issue.

Anyway, I got the 2 vaccinations and 1 booster. CPS never did officially announce that vaccination was required, but they did start moving a lot of kids around, and it was obvious they were taking them from unvaccinated fosters and placing them with vaccinated ones. The trauma this caused both the kids and the foster parents they were suddenly torn from is immeasurable.

I got the vaccine because of my age and an old heart condition that hasn't troubled me in years but could return. Had I been even 10 years younger I probably wouldn't have gotten it. I was trying to figure out my best chances.

I did have to separate from people and groups that I liked. I was very social then but everything shut down. Most of those groups have never resumed. Several of my friends died, mostly not from Covid but other things.

I had the two original shots and I've had two boosters. I didn't have any bad effects from the shots. I haven't had the latest booster and may not ever get it.

No, I'm not at all surprised that many of the unvaccinated are still alive and I'm not surprised that people who did get vaccinated have had Covid.

One more thing, I absolutely believe everyone should make their own decision without criticism.
Well said. :)

I was a licensed foster parent for Child Protective Services (CPS) at the time, and my foster son, Paxton, was about a year
old. His parents were allowed to have supervised visits with him at my apartment, with me as the supervisor.

I went and got vaccinated twice for 2 reasons; CPS was considering requiring it for all licensed foster parents, and Paxton's mother had started bringing friends with her on her visits (!!!). When I reported that to CPS, they *advised* me to get vaccinated. I did because CPS always has the option of taking your kid and placing them in another foster home.

I also stopped allowing visitation at my apartment because Paxton's mother was totally breaking the rules, bringing people with her who I didn't know and who hadn't been screened by CPS....but that's a separate issue.

Anyway, I got the 2 vaccinations and 1 booster. CPS never did officially announce that vaccination was required, but they did start moving a lot of kids around, and it was obvious they were taking them from unvaccinated fosters and placing them with vaccinated ones. The trauma this caused both the kids and the foster parents they were suddenly torn from is immeasurable.
Would they do that? Adding to the child's trauma by enforced separation? Probably they would have. Nothing made much sense in 2020/2021. :(

We both got 3 vaccines and we did so because of our health and age and so many people were getting covid. I got sick with all 3 and then last year we both got a light case of COVID according to a home test.I don't think we will get them again though just too many unknowns we were not aware of when we took the shots.

I have faith in medical science, from Edward Jenner and Joseph Lister to the modern era, scientists have been continually striving to add to the world's knowledge of disease - how to treat it and more importantly, how to prevent it. At every stage there were risks that had to be taken for progress to occur. When it came to the novel coronavirus Covid 19, I decided that the benefit : risk ratio was decidedly in favour of being vaccinated.
Was it for a health issue? Did you have a job that required vaccination? Would you have been prohibited from travel ? Would you have had to separate from people/groups that you liked? Other? Please share.
None of the above. It was a matter of community safety. The more people who were vaccinated, the better protected would be the whole population. This is the main reason for mass vaccination programs.
Have you received booster shots? How many boosters have you received? How many more will you take?
Yes, every year. I recently received my third booster for Covid. Included in the serum was a booster for influenza.
Not at all. Mass vaccination programs also protect the unvaccinated. I must remind you that during the early years (2020, 2021) there were many deaths of both unvaccinated and vaccinated people. Community health requires more than simply vaccinating as many people as possible, it also requires behaviour changes - social distancing and isolation of the infected, hand hygiene, and mask wearing. I am still required to wear a mask when entering Hubby's nursing home but I take it off when I am with him in his room. Since we kiss each other there is no point to the mask then but for the sake of the other residents I am obliged to wear it when we are in the community room.
Thanks for your participation.
No worries. Hope you get a wide variety of answers.

Wife and I are vaxed and twice boosted. We intend to get another booster in the fall to carry us through the winter. We're with Warrigal. We believe in the science and 'have faith' in it. We have family members who are in the medical field. and have no problem getting the vaccines and telling others to get them. We also believe that we were doing our part not only to help ourselves, but to keep others safe. We're very opinionated against anti-vaxers and anti-maskers who we believe to be selfish and don't have a care for others. There were any number of news reports about family members who would not get the vaccine and gave Covid to other family members. We read the numbers every day who died, were on vents, and now, have long Covid.

I trust the scientists to know a great deal about vaccines. I've never had a problem after any vaccines I've gotten.

I also felt it very necessary to get the COVID vaccine and 2 boosters. I have underlying heart, liver, diabetes, overweight issues. I kept a great distance from people and wore a mask during the pandemic.

I would do it again too. I have a friend with the same health issues plus COPD , lung cancer and he contracted COVID twice. Luckily he survived. He had also gotten the COVID vaccine and boosters. He would have most likely died if he contracted COVID before the vaccines came out.

Would they do that? Adding to the child's trauma by enforced separation? Probably they would have. Nothing made much sense in 2020/2021. :(
Some counties will take kids from a foster home with 5 children only to "top off" another with 2 or 3. And it doesn't seem to matter to CPS how long the children lived with the foster parents they're taken from.

Sacramento County CPS is a lot better at prioritizing children's needs than the county that currently has Paxton's case; Amador County. However, Sac County Family Court gave him back to his mother when he was very nearly 3 and had lived with me his whole life.

She abused him. Daily. I reported it and his preschool teacher reported it many times. I even texted and emailed photos of his bruises and scratches (his mother left him with me every weekend). But Paxton endured 8 whole months of mother's physical and emotional abuse before CPS in Amador County (where the mother lived) finally removed him from her home.....and that was because she failed a drug test.

Pax is 5 now, and living with a couple who hope to adopt him. They bring him to visit me once or twice a month, which is awesome. He's doing well, considering. He seems happy. He has no complaints about his new family, and he doesn't cry when his foster dad picks him up.

A couple years ago, when it was his mother picking him up, he'd beg me to send her away. "Pweez, Unco Fwank! Pweez, pweez, let me stay!"

I'll never stop hearing that as long as I live. Man, it still makes my eyes water.

It's a joy now to see a big ol' smile on his face when he gives me squeezy goodbye hugs. That tells me he feels safe and loved with his new foster parents.

His mother's final hearing is on the 27th, btw. That's when we'll know if the court finally terminates her parental rights, and allows the current foster parents to adopt Paxton and his younger twin siblings.

Fingers Crossed!

(and fingers crossed for CPS reform!!)

I researched the technology and knew it had been around for 20 years as Bob already mentioned. I was old, fat and have 3 health conditions so I took control of the only thing I could and lost 50lbs.

In total I was vaccinated 3 times. All three times I was sick in bed for 4 days. The first time I had the chills so bad that I was shaking horribly and couldn’t get warm. I was miserable.

I decided not to get anymore because of getting sick and now the strains are milder so I am not afraid of dying from it. I actually caught it in June 2022 and wasn’t very sick.

I researched the technology and knew it had been around for 20 years as Bob already mentioned. I was old, fat and have 3 health conditions so I took control of the only thing I could and lost 50lbs.

In total I was vaccinated 3 times. All three times I was sick in bed for 4 days. The first time I had the chills so bad that I was shaking horribly and couldn’t get warm. I was miserable.

I decided not to get anymore because of getting sick and now the strains are milder so I am not afraid of dying from it. I actually caught it in June 2022 and wasn’t very sick.
That's what happened to my SIL too. The chills. She was just like you so you're not alone.

I feared being banned from things if I didn't get vaccinated....I gave up after three jabs and I had myself taken off the database so I won't be sent for again.

Truthfully, I didn't intend to get vaccinated. But my sister, nephew and several friends had taken the vaccine. Still I held out. My son is anti-vax and even though my DIL's closest relatives got vaccinated, my DIL did not. She and my son got COVID. She took such good care of my son and seemed to be doing fine until the day before she died from it. In my heart, I felt like if she'd gotten vaccinated, maybe she would have lived, so I decided to just go ahead and do it.

Wife and I are vaxed and twice boosted. We intend to get another booster in the fall to carry us through the winter. We're with Warrigal. We believe in the science and 'have faith' in it. We have family members who are in the medical field. and have no problem getting the vaccines and telling others to get them. We also believe that we were doing our part not only to help ourselves, but to keep others safe. We're very opinionated against anti-vaxers and anti-maskers who we believe to be selfish and don't have a care for others. There were any number of news reports about family members who would not get the vaccine and gave Covid to other family members. We read the numbers every day who died, were on vents, and now, have long Covid.
Okay, what is "the science" regarding the covid vaccines and boosters? Please share.

Okay, what is "the science" regarding the covid vaccines and boosters? Please share.
Well, here is a basic simplified description.
Our cells have RNA that are messengers. They tell our cells what proteins to make to aid in digestion and basic bodily functions.
The coronovirus also is RNA and has a characteristic spike on it's surface that works like grappling hooks to latch onto cells.
It also has a tricky way to suppress the immune system causing it to stand down so it is not eliminated, and it hijacks the cells.

The mRNA vaccine is engineered to cause your cell to produce proteins that resemble the spikes of the coronovirus, only it doesn't suppress the immune system, which identifies these as invaders, and it dispatches them, but it also remembers and watches for those in the future.
The mRNA that is injected has a very short life span, just long enough to tell the cells what protein to produce, and it gets eliminated by the body.
The discomfort that most people feel to lesser or greater degrees is their immune system at work. This is also what many experience with flu shots or shingles vaccines.

Well, here is a basic simplified description.
Our cells have RNA that are messengers. They tell our cells what proteins to make to aid in digestion and basic bodily functions.
The coronovirus also is RNA and has a characteristic spike on it's surface that works like grappling hooks to latch onto cells.
It also has a tricky way to suppress the immune system causing it to stand down so it is not eliminated, and it hijacks the cells.

The mRNA vaccine is engineered to cause your cell to produce proteins that resemble the spikes of the coronovirus, only it doesn't suppress the immune system, which identifies these as invaders, and it dispatches them, but it also remembers and watches for those in the future.
The mRNA that is injected has a very short life span, just long enough to tell the cells what protein to produce, and it gets eliminated by the body.
The discomfort that most people feel to lesser or greater degrees is their immune system at work. This is also what many experience with flu shots or shingles vaccines.
Two things went wrong with that.

The mRna caused the immune system to go into over-drive, and it leeched through blood vessels, bringing the spike protein with it. The most frequent side-effect of that was blood clots and embolisms.

In hundreds of thousands of people who were vaccinated, those side-effects ranged from bad to deadly.

Back