Free Items

Years ago, people didn't seem to mind taking things to tinker with, now they want everything in perfect condition. We've lost our tinkerers.
It is not years ago anymore. It distresses me to see how defensive you are being, not understanding that no one but you thinks it's okay to put out trash in a 'bargain' bin. It's sad, Deb, it is. We're your friends here, telling you it's time to look into your attitude about other people.

You delivered meals on wheels. Obviously you're a caring person.

I guess it depends on what part of the country you are from. Where I live when you see a free sign it's assumed that it's not too condition and might need repairs. A lawn mower. A bike with a flat tire. There are channels on you tube where guys go out and pick up stuff they can fix. Too good to throw away and too bad to keep. I learn a lot from the repair procedures.
Expecting stuff to be in prime condition and free is wishful thinking.

I guess it depends on what part of the country you are from. Where I live when you see a free sign it's assumed that it's not too condition and might need repairs. A lawn mower. A bike with a flat tire. There are channels on you tube where guys go out and pick up stuff they can fix. Too good to throw away and too bad to keep. I learn a lot from the repair procedures.
Expecting stuff to be in prime condition and free is wishful thinking.

I guess were are in the minority here, camper.

I put stuff out to my curb when it is garbage day. I have no sign on the item that it is free. People assume there is something wrong with it and if they want to take it they can (never have they brought it back). If I leave stuff at the curb and it is not garbage day you can assume a number of things: I don't like it anymore or it is too old (but it still works) or it is too heavy (awkward, colour is wrong, etc). I left an armoire, a (obviously broken) treadmill, chairs, lamps, etc. and most of it is gone in a few hours.

It’s unlikely anyone will take an old can of paint, especially with a rusted lid. It could be dried out or have been frozen at some point. Just haul it away.

I would have thought someone might have taken your flower stand.

Hmmmm. That flower stand is so old, even the rust on the middle shelf has worn off.
Can you ship the rest of the stuff to me FedEx Overnight?

Most people give away stuff that works and throw away stuff that does not work.
In our apartment people leaving leave stuff in the laundry room for anyone to pick up if they wanted to. A floor fan is a common item. I check them out and try to fix them.
It's not the biggest of sins to put a "free' sign on stuff that doesn't work.
It's just common sense/decency to add to the sign 'does not work'

It's not the biggest of sins to put a "free' sign on stuff that doesn't work.
It's just common sense/decency to add to the sign 'does not work'
It's not even necessary to put free on it. It's out there surrounded by other junk. Who would ever think something at curb side not locked up is for sale? I'm guessing different places have different expectations. I watch you tube videos. Guys in pick up trucks driving all over and picking up stuff at curb side. Mainly lawn mowers. Many people don't know anything about fixing stuff so they just dump it and buy new.

In our community room we have a table with free stuff on it and it usually works. I have a beautiful lamp that was there and use it daily. My bf recently got 3 fans for free that work good and one looked exactly like the one in the picture.

In our community room we have a table with free stuff on it and it usually works. I have a beautiful lamp that was there and use it daily. My bf recently got 3 fans for free that work good and one looked exactly like the one in the picture.
Fans seem to be a common item to be picked up. I'm trying to guess why. Maybe they got air conditioning? A lot of stuff is given away free when people are moving or downsizing. That's what I notice about moving to an apartment. Not a heck of a lot of storage available.
And you have to store stuff vertically instead of horizontally. Shelves and storage cabinets.

Back