Free Items

When we are getting rid of stuff, we just put it on the curb. First the scavengers come around and check the stuff out. Amazing what they take, but it must be of some use to them. The rest is for trash. If we wish to sell something, we list it on Craig's List.

where I'm from, I would assume the fan works and you want to get rid of it. I've given away things that work and I just don't want them anymore for whatever reason. :)

When putting mechanical items at the curb I add a sign on that says "Free" and another that says "Works" or "Doesn't Work." I trash whatever isn't gone in 48 hours.

About 25 years ago an acquaintance who ran a charity thrift store was bemoaning the amount of unsalable garbage "donated" to them and how high their dumpster bills were because of it. He told me, "It pretty holds true that one man's trash is another man's (he paused for emphasis) trash."

I never forgot that.

Last edited:
In this area, if an item is between the curb and the sidewalk it's fair game.

I rarely see a sign but if I do I assume that the item is in working order and no longer needed.

It works pretty well but every once in awhile a favorite toy or bicycle turns up missing.

1601304696708.jpeg

I furnished more than one apartment with street finds but I never went to the trouble of returning an item because it did not work.

When putting mechanical items at the curb I add a sign on that says "Free" and another that says "Works" or "Doesn't Work." I trash whatever isn't gone in 48 hours.

About 25 years ago an acquaintance who ran a charity thrift store was bemoaning the amount of unsalable garbage "donated" to them and how high their dumpster bills were because of it. He told me, "It pretty holds true that one man's trash is another man's (he paused for emphasis) trash."

I never forgot that.
The idea behind putting the stuff out is to get rid of it and save yourself a trip to the dump.

So if you put a sign on it that says Doesn't Work reduces your chances of getting rid of it.

Put a sign on it saying "not sure if it's working".

@Aunt Bea Was that a special disposal day? That’s a whole lot of whatever. Our garbage or recycling system would never take those items. Those wooden chairs look like they could have been salvaged with a bit of effort.

Our Salvation Army has to dispose of large amounts of items that are trash. It cuts into their bottom line.

@Aunt Bea Was that a special disposal day? That’s a whole lot of whatever. Our garbage or recycling system would never take those items. Those wooden chairs look like they could have been salvaged with a bit of effort.

Our Salvation Army has to dispose of large amounts of items that are trash. It cuts into their bottom line.
Just a picture that I harvested from the internet but we do have one day a month when the city will take most household items and yard waste.

Back