Galettes???

@Keesha - After you make the galette, please post pic so we can admire and drool. Good luck!

I have enough food in my freezer for one month, so it will be a while before I can try another one. I am just one and only eat once a day, so it takes a while to finish all the food I cooked in a few marathon cooking sessions.

@Keesha - After you make the galette, please post pic so we can admire and drool. Good luck!

Yes will do. These ones are gluten free so they take a bit longer and by the way, that mascarpone I won’t be having. My digestive system does not like dairy. It’s very tasty and I was so curious to try it.
Big mistake. At least I know what to stay away from now.

Yes will do. These ones are gluten free so they take a bit longer and by the way, that mascarpone I won’t be having. My digestive system does not like dairy. It’s very tasty and I was so curious to try it.
Big mistake. At least I know what to stay away from now.
A long time ago I wanted to learn to make Tiramisu, but it needs mascarpone and I couldn't find it at Frys, then later learned that Walmart carries it. By then I had decided it was too much trouble to make and just buy one portion at the deli and cut it into three pieces. That's enough for me.

I would have to say that bread is a real adaptable product of what ever you grind into flower. What you with that flower is coming out your mind and cravings. Years ago helping mom make some bread dough I told her my thoughts on a deep fried ball of dough. I made half a dozen and only managed to get one. lol
I just noticed this post. My mother-in-law in Nova Scotia used to make bread dough and then made patties, about an inch thick and fried them in the pan. She called them scawns (probably from scones). Delicious when slathering some butter on them.

Ok @Catlady. I made my first galette and it’s gluten free and delicious. The hardest part was making the dough. Gluten free dough doesn’t have the elasticity as regular dough and popping it the fridge did NOT help so next time I omit that part. I’ll also not add the bagel spices to the edges of the dough as I found them far too salty but overall it was really tasty and different. Here are some pictures of it.

No pillsbury dough although I wish I could use it at times.
BAE5BD47-1DA9-4E8E-B580-14F92DC26969.jpeg389DDC84-9D37-4054-9C72-66D7789FCA4A.jpeg

@Keesha - That looks soooo GOOD! It's a whole meal right there. Yeah, after I ate that whole 7 inch galette I was really stuffed!

Will you be making the same one or a different one next time? I was reading about making the gluten free dough, it sounds like a lot of work, but you do what you have to do for your health. Was the dough as sticky as they said it would be? I make a focaccia with sticky dough and have learned to oil my fingers before dealing with it, it makes it a lot easier to handle it.

@Keesha - That looks soooo GOOD! It's a whole meal right there. Yeah, after I ate that whole 7 inch galette I was really stuffed!

Will you be making the same one or a different one next time? I was reading about making the gluten free dough, it sounds like a lot of work, but you do what you have to do for your health. Was the dough as sticky as they said it would be? I make a focaccia with sticky dough and have learned to oil my fingers before dealing with it, it makes it a lot easier to handle it.
Thanks Catlady. I think I drink too much liquid to eat the entire thing or I would have.

No it wasn’t sticky dough. In fact it wasn’t sticky enough especially after refrigeration. Next time I won’t put it in the refrigerator and to be perfectly honest, it just isn’t the type of dough that should be used for a savoury type of pie. Using almond flour and mixing it with that much butter turns the dough more into a cooked marzipan that would be more suitable for a dessert dish. The crust did not suite the rest of the ingredients.

The stickiness comes mainly from the gluten in the wheat. Without the gluten, the dough isn’t nearly as pliable but oiling your fingers is a really good idea.

I’ve got dough made for the mixed berry one as well as the berries. That’s why I got the mascarpone. That stuff is soooo creamy good. That’s the first time I’ve bought it but it’s far too rich. I’ll try and find a dairy free option. Possibly just use egg whites.

You sure know your way around the kitchen.

Thanks. That’s a recipe that makes the user purchase a recommended gluten free flour which has to be ordered online. I was more interested in this because it was Paleo but I really don’t like the idea of using almond or coconut flour. While they are very low in carbohydrates, they aren’t versatile enough so I probably won’t ever make that type again. I’ll make a galette again with my own gluten free pastry. After all the pastry either makes it or breaks it and this crust didn’t work. Plus I won’t add the bagel seasoning either.

The next day. There’s something to be said for leaving things in the fridge to marinate overnight. Today for lunch I heated this galette up and had it with some salad and a nice glass of white wine and it was lovely. The warm goats milk cheese flavour went so nice with the sweet peppers, olives and cherry tomatoes. The fresh thyme was not lost in this. It really made a tasty lunch.

Maybe almond flour isn’t so bad but next time I’ll also bake it on regular baking pans and not my insulated ones. The bottom was a tad undercooked but a great learning experience. I’d like to drive this with a homemade flat bread as I find it far too rich in butter.

41DB5D1D-729C-4D21-8471-D6A6A46DF395.jpeg

The next day. There’s something to be said for leaving things in the fridge to marinate overnight. Today for lunch I heated this galette up and had it with some salad and a nice glass of white wine and it was lovely. The warm goats milk cheese flavour went so nice with the sweet peppers, olives and cherry tomatoes. The fresh thyme was not lost in this. It really made a tasty lunch.

Maybe almond flour isn’t so bad but next time I’ll also bake it on regular baking pans and not my insulated ones. The bottom was a tad undercooked but a great learning experience. I’d like to drive this with a homemade flat bread as I find it far too rich in butter.

View attachment 83405
That looks delicious! Some things taste better when reheated, like lasagna.

You could always try cooking the dough for a few minutes, then filling it, and continue cooking. When I made the Pillsbury pizza, that's what they said to do, precook the dough for 5-8 minutes and continue cooking after adding the toppings. On the other hand, after pre-cooking it would be difficult to fold up the edgings. Hmmm?

That looks delicious! Some things taste better when reheated, like lasagna.

You could always try cooking the dough for a few minutes, then filling it, and continue cooking. When I made the Pillsbury pizza, that's what they said to do, precook the dough for 5-8 minutes and continue cooking after adding the toppings. On the other hand, after pre-cooking it would be difficult to fold up the edgings. Hmmm?
Thanks Catlady. It was. I actually considered this but I think with a few modifications in how this is made, it’s a nice inclusion to my diet. Edges would be a nightmare if the pastry were pre baked first so experimentation is a must. Lol

I’m still excited to make the mixed berry one.

Back