Game Shows on TV

I deliver meals to shut-ins (Meals-On-Wheels). I notice quite a few watch "The Price is Right". I never saw the sense of game shows; watching other people winning money and prizes. Perhaps unless it's a show where you can learn something like "Jeopardy". What is the appeal of game shows to older folks?

Jeopardy is the only one I watch. It becomes addictive. It's fun to see how I stack up against the contestants. (Usually not too well.)

I've watched Wheel of Fortune for years. It comes on right after supper, and gives me some quality time in the recliner while the food settles. I like to see if I can guess the puzzle before the contestants, and usually fare pretty well. However, if I ever got up on the stage, I would probably "freeze" up, and look silly.

What gets to me Don, is when the spinner has 15,20 thousand in their account and can't figure out a phrase a two year old could solve. Then a spin a bankrupt. :mad:

Sunny is is probably right though. Their mind must go blank.

Yup, sometimes the solution seems so obvious...however, I guess the mind sometimes goes blank, or "stage fright" sets in. I'm sure that if I ever got on that show, I would be about the same.

I watched game shows much more when I was younger. The basic reason for my watching them now is because they are the only ones that my mom is interested in, while I can repeat word for word everything they say for the most part as she watches GSN and they are all repeats. Myself, I prefer stories.

I just started watching Jeopardy a few months ago and now it's the only show I see every day. I also work a daily crossword. These two activities help keep the mind active.

Many years ago probably 20 we used to get the American game shows, jeopardy, and lucky ladders on Cable for a couple of seasons...I loved them, in fact out of all the game shows I always thought Jeopardy was the best, but we don't get them anymore ..I would love to have jeopardy back.. I really enjoyed that. We used to have a huge diversity of good home grown Games shows..years ago but now everything is made on the cheap and
our games shows tend to be really infantile now..unlike our quiz shows..which veer towards the more intellectual ( like wot I is);)..Egg Heads, University Challenge, QI, Countdown , Mastermind, Fifteen-to-one .. etc... I'm a big fan of Eggheads I record it every night then watch it in batches back to back.

I deliver meals to shut-ins (Meals-On-Wheels). I notice quite a few watch "The Price is Right". I never saw the sense of game shows; watching other people winning money and prizes. Perhaps unless it's a show where you can learn something like "Jeopardy". What is the appeal of game shows to older folks?
I used to enjoy playing along.

Back