God has a plan. An observation and a question.

It's more than a "guess," JustDave, it's obviously just a myth.
Funny how history repeats itself

Been reading about the French Revolution;

“This impious and ridiculous mummery had a certain fashion; and the installation of the Goddess of Reason was renewed and imitated throughout the nation, in such places where the inhabitants desired to show themselves equal to all the heights of the Revolution.”—Scott, vol. 1, ch. 17

Said the orator who introduced the worship of Reason: “Legislators! Fanaticism has given way to reason. Its bleared eyes could not endure the brilliancy of the light. This day an immense concourse has assembled beneath those gothic vaults, which, for the first time, re-echoed the truth. There the French have celebrated the only true worship,—that of Liberty, that of Reason. There we have formed wishes for the prosperity of the arms of the Republic. There we have abandoned inanimate idols for Reason, for that animated image, the masterpiece of nature.”—M. A. Thiers, History of the French Revolution, vol. 2, pp. 370, 371

When the goddess was brought into the Convention, the orator took her by the hand, and turning to the assembly said: “Mortals, cease to tremble before the powerless thunders of a God whom your fears have created. Henceforth acknowledge no divinity but Reason. I offer you its noblest and purest image; if you must have idols, sacrifice only to such as this.... Fall before the august Senate of Freedom, oh! Veil of Reason!”

“The goddess, after being embraced by the president, was mounted on a magnificent car, and conducted, amid an immense crowd, to the cathedral of Notre Dame, to take the place of the Deity. There she was elevated on the high altar, and received the adoration of all present.”—Alison, vol. 1, ch. 10

This was followed, not long afterward, by the public burning of the Bible. On one occasion “the Popular Society of the Museum” entered the hall of the municipality, exclaiming, “Vive la Raison!” and carrying on the top of a pole the half-burned remains of several books, among others breviaries, missals, and the Old and New Testaments, which “expiated in a great fire,” said the president, “all the fooleries which they have made the human race commit.”—Journal of Paris, 1793, No. 318. Quoted in Buchez-Roux, Collection of Parliamentary History, vol. 30, pp. 200, 201.

Burning the Bible, believing the Bible, neither makes a lot of sense. History does repeat itself. Over the years, one god replaces an older one, which is then relegated to the archives of myth, and each time it happens, men flock to the new god never seeing that it's as unbelievable as the old god. The lesson here is that mankind has not evolved to be logical. It has evolved to survive, and it does, at least to some faltering degree. Evolution, biological or social, does not lead to perfection. It just needs to function. That's why mankind continues to stumble, even while believing he is the apex of one thing or another.

I think the age of reason saved people from feudalism. That was the idea. That no one should be born to be someone else's slave because of where and to whom they were born and this still makes sense to me. Doesn't it make sense to you?

I think the age of reason saved people from feudalism. That was the idea. That no one should be born to be someone else's slave because of where and to whom they were born and this still makes sense to me. Doesn't it make sense to you?
Yes, yes it does.
The people of France were torn
The very poor and the very rich

The Age of Reason was nothing but a shroud of the royalty, the rich

The Reign of Terror soon followed

Fun times

"Though a sinner do evil a hundred times, and his days be prolonged, yet surely I know that it shall be well with them that fear God, which fear before Him: but it shall not be well with the wicked.” Proverbs 11:5; Ecclesiastes 8:12, 13. “They hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the Lord;” “therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices.” Proverbs 1:29, 31.

Last edited:
Yes, yes it does.
The people of France were torn
The very poor and the very rich

The Age of Reason was nothing but a shroud of the royalty, the rich

The Reign of Terror soon followed

Fun times

"Though a sinner do evil a hundred times, and his days be prolonged, yet surely I know that it shall be well with them that fear God, which fear before Him: but it shall not be well with the wicked.” Proverbs 11:5; Ecclesiastes 8:12, 13. “They hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the Lord;” “therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices.” Proverbs 1:29, 31.
So you believe the reign of terror sprung from the age of reason?

Funny how history repeats itself

Been reading about the French Revolution;

“This impious and ridiculous mummery had a certain fashion; and the installation of the Goddess of Reason was renewed and imitated throughout the nation, in such places where the inhabitants desired to show themselves equal to all the heights of the Revolution.”—Scott, vol. 1, ch. 17

Said the orator who introduced the worship of Reason: “Legislators! Fanaticism has given way to reason. Its bleared eyes could not endure the brilliancy of the light. This day an immense concourse has assembled beneath those gothic vaults, which, for the first time, re-echoed the truth. There the French have celebrated the only true worship,—that of Liberty, that of Reason. There we have formed wishes for the prosperity of the arms of the Republic. There we have abandoned inanimate idols for Reason, for that animated image, the masterpiece of nature.”—M. A. Thiers, History of the French Revolution, vol. 2, pp. 370, 371

When the goddess was brought into the Convention, the orator took her by the hand, and turning to the assembly said: “Mortals, cease to tremble before the powerless thunders of a God whom your fears have created. Henceforth acknowledge no divinity but Reason. I offer you its noblest and purest image; if you must have idols, sacrifice only to such as this.... Fall before the august Senate of Freedom, oh! Veil of Reason!”

“The goddess, after being embraced by the president, was mounted on a magnificent car, and conducted, amid an immense crowd, to the cathedral of Notre Dame, to take the place of the Deity. There she was elevated on the high altar, and received the adoration of all present.”—Alison, vol. 1, ch. 10

This was followed, not long afterward, by the public burning of the Bible. On one occasion “the Popular Society of the Museum” entered the hall of the municipality, exclaiming, “Vive la Raison!” and carrying on the top of a pole the half-burned remains of several books, among others breviaries, missals, and the Old and New Testaments, which “expiated in a great fire,” said the president, “all the fooleries which they have made the human race commit.”—Journal of Paris, 1793, No. 318. Quoted in Buchez-Roux, Collection of Parliamentary History, vol. 30, pp. 200, 201.
I'm against all book burning, as long as folks don't believe everything they read!

Watching the looters reminded me that the desire to follow someone, or to belong to a group, has moved, at least in America, from religious institutions to gangs and political groups. I've never heard anyone profess their faith in Christ with as much fervor as some people talk about their favorite politician and I've known people who split with their families because they didn't like the same musician. It's been hundreds of years since the Crusades. These days we're murdering over gang colors and drugs far more than any religious ideology.

I was raised Lutheran but no longer believe. You can be a good person, help others, etc and not believe in god. So many horrendous things have been done in the name of religion. When the Bible was written people were uneducated and needed rules to live by and a god to explain natural phenomenons.

I was raised Lutheran but no longer believe. You can be a good person, help others, etc and not believe in god. So many horrendous things have been done in the name of religion. When the Bible was written people were uneducated and needed rules to live by and a god to explain natural phenomenons.
That's true also and it is a way to control masses of people. It makes a person think. :unsure:

FWIW, I'm a former Lutheran too. The people at my church seemed nice, although I didn't know most of them. I just couldn't buy into the God part of the religion. I had doubts as early as age five, but I tried to believe. As I got older, read more, and learned about ancient mythology and other modern religions, it eventually became clear that I simply didn't believe any of it.

But that epiphany took years and years to happen. I clung to religion, trying to find logic and reason in it, because owning up to being an atheist was too disturbing psychologically. But coming to terms with my lack of belief was surprisingly liberating once I admitted the truth to myself. I was in my 50s when that finally happened, such is the power of childhood indoctrination. I had spend most of my life searching for something that was not there.

@Gaer

1st.sentence from your post #332.

"Angels are the messengers from God. They are a part of God."

When you posted that I didn't think about what form angels take or if angels were billions of years old since you claim they are part of God.

Wondering. If God created angels, if so how many? Do angels have different roles or interaction with the souls you refer to in your post #332?

Many have posted they expect to join loved ones that died. Are souls sentient?

Many have posted they expect to join loved ones that died
As far as the Bible is concerned, yer dead, worm food
...until the 2nd coming and the resurrection

Nothing in the Bible says otherwise

There's many texts
but
just think about it
If there's a resurrection, what happens?
Do those in heaven come back down
jump into the grave
then go back up again?

1 Thessalonians 4:16-17
16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Last edited:
As far as the Bible is concerned, yer dead, worm food
...until the 2nd coming and the resurrection

Nothing in the Bible says otherwise

There's many texts
but
just think about it
If there's a resurrection, what happens?
Do those in heaven come back down
jump into the grave
then go back up again?

1 Thessalonians 4:16-17
16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
It's those kinds of questions I'd like an answer to. Blind faith or a belief system that gets a person thru their days is great. But questioning the how & why the promises or anything relating to being sentient after death don't typically get an answer.

It's those kinds of questions I'd like an answer to. Blind faith or a belief system that gets a person thru their days is great. But questioning the how & why the promises or anything relating to being sentient after death don't typically get an answer.
That's one thing that bugs me about some religions- even little children are basically bullied into not questioning anything. I don't agree with that at all.

Well, I'm not a big fan of 'blind faith'
It's why we have brains
I hope I gave you a direction, if not an answer....

@Gaer

1st.sentence from your post #332.

"Angels are the messengers from God. They are a part of God."

When you posted that I didn't think about what form angels take or if angels were billions of years old since you claim they are part of God.

Wondering. If God created angels, if so how many? Do angels have different roles or interaction with the souls you refer to in your post #332?

Many have posted they expect to join loved ones that died. Are souls sentient?
Hi! The form angels take is like human form and they can move from transparent to solid form. They can appear or disappear.
They are connected to God through the energy in their soul.

Yes, Good Heavens YES Souls are sentient! You are YOU, before and after the death of the body.

I've started a thread called, " Words of the Holy Angels" ( a diary) where I will use actual angelic quotes to explain all this, rather than use this OP's space on his thread. If you find it, I'll try to explain this in detail. OK?

That's one thing that bugs me about some religions- even little children are basically bullied into not questioning anything. I don't agree with that at all.
I don't either
Pretty much hate it
The church of Rome did a lot of that
The early reformers gave it a fight, but relaxed into complacency and became quite lackadaisical once Luther, Zwingli, Wycliff and others died.

Back