Good News: McDonald's Just introduced its first-ever Vegan burger.

I would not eat a vegan "burger" even if it was free. If I want to eat vegetables, I'll have them the way nature intended. Speaking of nature, one look at our teeth tells us that we evolved as omnivores.

I would not eat a vegan "burger" even if it was free. If I want to eat vegetables, I'll have them the way nature intended. Speaking of nature, one look at our teeth tells us that we evolved as omnivores.
Assuming you eat everything "the way nature intended." No cooking, baking, freezing, refrigerating, processing, or use of ingredients that are out of season or sourced from other parts of the world, right?

I wouldn't eat meat even if it were free.

Go back in time as far as you wish. Back even into the dim mists of a time when mankind 1st walked upright, he has been eating meat. When he stood upright, he had his hands free and he killed, or sometimes scavenged, and he carried meat back to his family. When anthropologists examine animal fossils, they find deep scratches on the bones which were made by stone tools. Man … the meat eater !

Moreover, it is generally thought that protein (meat) was the primary factor in the evolution of the human brain, which has made man the apex predator.

Even chimpanzees, our closest living relative, catch, kill, and eat monkeys.

There is no other food that gives us such a protein packed punch.

I would NOT have a problem with vegans, if they did not attempt to force their views on others. Oh, yes. There are vegans who try to shut down various meat selling restaurants. Grr !
Quite similar to those activists who throw red paint on women who wear furs.
I predict a time when similar activists will attack people who wear any leather goods... leather shoes, belts, gloves etc.

Last edited:
There are numerous theories and opinions on human evolution and how we wound up on the top of the food chain. Meat eating is only one. The consumption of alcohol is another. The most common theory is that we farmed cooperatively in groups.

Neither of us is an expert in human evolution so there's no point in debating it here.

You say there are vegans trying to shut down various meat selling restaurants? If that's so, it must be extremely rare because I've never heard of it. A Google search came up empty save for some incidents at Antler Kitchen and Bar in Toronto. Not saying that's the only example, but it's hardly common.

Most vegans and vegetarians live and let live. Case in point: on this very thread, by far the least tolerant comments come from the meat eaters, not the plant eaters.

None of the vegans/vegetarians suggested McDonald's should ditch the animal sourced portions of their menu.

It will cost them a fortune to duplicate the
flat top grill to cook them on, no vegan, I
believe will buy any from McDonalds, when
they realise that both meat and vegetable
versions, are cooked on the same griddle.

No I am not a vegan, or a vegetarian, but
I can see this happening.

Mike.
Good point Mike for a true vegetarian or vegan who will not consume animal products at all. It's similar to we Muslims. We have to be careful not to consume pork products so have to make sure that even though we may get a turkey burger, it's not cooked on the same grill as the bacon or sausages. Some places are aware and use separate grills....the IHOPs in the area do this (but different franchises may differ on this). People who are vegetarian or vegan also need to be aware that some yogurt as well as other products that contain gelatin (Jello) usually get it from a pork (or perhaps another animal) source. I'm not vegetarian but am Muslim so I look for products that contain Kosher gelatin.

When humans first walked the earth, they did not have the miracle of agriculture and access to the plant foods we have today, so they ate meat. These days it is not necessary to eat meat to have enough protein for a healthy body: for e.g.

Brown rice with beans, or bread with hummus or nut butter, can give you as much protein as a piece of meat.
Black Beans. They contain 15g of protein in just a 1-cup serving, more than the amount in a chicken drumstick. Lentils,Tempeh, Soybean,Quinoa,Spinach and many other pulses.

Vegans are not forcing anyone into their lifestyle. They are not forcing me, I like meat but I think they have the right idea. Who knows one day I may become vegetarian!!

I also meant to say that the only thing I get from Mickey D's when I go, which is rarely, is the egg and cheese biscuit. I used to love their ice cream cones but I've read about issues with cleaning those machines properly...something my husband had told me about years ago (with any establishment's ice cream machines). McD's also has pretty decent pancakes and coffee. I haven't gotten burgers from there in decades.

@Shero My DIL made quinoa salad a couple of weeks ago and sent me enough to eat off three times. I was really surprised at how much I like it. So much so that she's going to have to make it for me again. 😛 She put tomatoes, peppers and finely sliced cucumbers in. There may have been a couple of corn kernels (can't remember for sure). Of course quinoa is a very good source of protein.

My first ex decided to become a vegetarian after visiting our county fair. She saw this bull that won the blue ribbon for being the best bull. She petted him. Then she found out that the next day, he was going to be the center piece of a BBQ. For years, we tried to find vegetarian restaurants when we were on the road. This was about 30 years ago. They were hard to find. Veggie restaurants were all start ups, and they looked it. For some reason they were always in reclaimed auto body shops,, or like places. Eating out became a hassle. After we broke up, I found out, she'd been sneaking out to McDonalds for quarter pounders.

Good point Mike for a true vegetarian or vegan who will not consume animal products at all. It's similar to we Muslims. We have to be careful not to consume pork products so have to make sure that even though we may get a turkey burger, it's not cooked on the same grill as the bacon or sausages. Some places are aware and use separate grills....the IHOPs in the area do this (but different franchises may differ on this). People who are vegetarian or vegan also need to be aware that some yogurt as well as other products that contain gelatin (Jello) usually get it from a pork (or perhaps another animal) source. I'm not vegetarian but am Muslim so I look for products that contain Kosher gelatin.
Are there other dietary restrictions that are required of a Muslim, such as not mixing meat and dairy products, or prohibitions on shellfish?

My DIL made quinoa salad a couple of weeks ago and sent me enough to eat off three times. I was really surprised at how much I like it. So much so that she's going to have to make it for me again. 😛 She put tomatoes, peppers and finely sliced cucumbers in. There may have been a couple of corn kernels (can't remember for sure). Of course quinoa is a very good source of protein.
The only problem I have with quinoa is it is grown in some very poor countries e.g. Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Columbia, Ecuador, Peru by small farmers who rely on this for survival. The big buyers, pay them almost nothing for their hard work

I didn't know that about quinoa, @Shero. Corporate executives are blithely turn off their consciences as they draw obscene salaries while their small suppliers live in extreme poverty.

@OneEyedDiva, does your DIL's quinoa salad use a vinegary dressing? It sounds delicious.

Back