Got a Case of the Lonelies, Anyone Else?

OK, I may be trying to prove I can still be 40. But...
I should've added "most" men and women. And I do know of one guy who is very interested in being around family, even stepkids/stepgrands. So I should've made it clearer, not all men or women, but it sure has been most in my experience.

The hitting on thing. Yes, I wish an attractive guy my age would hit on me. He'd have a good chance of me hitting him back! 😊

Bella ✌️
Bella, I agree with you now. But, for the past ten years, I flirted but immediately made it clear I didn't want to date. Well, it worked. Now I've changed my tune.
At church a few weeks ago the lady pastor mentioned that a lot of the women in the congregation had given up on dating, since they feel they will never find the right guy.
It's a thing !
It is the general consensus that the right guy just isn't to be found. But then, what's the right guy?? I'd like to start with chats, then getting to know them by laughing at their daily antics, sharing tidbits and making fun of my own goofs, and seeing if that makes a stronger connection. Yep, that sounds like the right attitude for me. Online or off, in the park or on the threads....:giggle:

There's nothing wrong with being flirty @Right Now. It usually signals you're interested in someone, but I think flirting and then backing off is confusing for the person you're flirting with. That's not meant as criticism, merely an observation. Whether it's online or in person, I hope, since you've changed your mind about dating, you get the opportunity to flirt with someone you'd actually like to date.

I'm not flirty. I'm fun, friendly, and straight-forward, but I don't flirt. If I did, it would only be directed at a man I was clearly interested in dating because I don't want to attract unwanted advances. In my youth, I often wondered why guys would hit on me when I gave no indication of interest in them other than the fact that I was as friendly to them as I was to others in general. I thought some guys mistook friendliness for interest and read more into it than what was really there because of their own desires.

These days I don't have to worry about any of it, lol! Opportunities to meet people are all but non-existent. I still have a modicum of hope only because I'm not dead yet. Most guys are interested in being with younger women no matter their age, and I no longer fit that bill unless the guy is ancient. There's a razor-slim chance I might meet a man my own age who actually likes women who are my age. Who knows? Stranger things have happened, but I won't be holding my breath. I exhaled a long time ago.

Bella ✌️

The answer to being lonely is not always a relationship. I have my lonesome days but am not always lonely...I find that when I get busy doing some projects I'm fine. I love to cook for one thing. It also helps having my pets. Don't know if I'll ever be in a relationship with the opposite sex again. It really doesn't appeal to me much anymore. I'd rather have a nice lady friend to have lunch with at times.

COVID still concerns me too. Still need to get the second booster but may just wait till autumn since it's close now.

Don't know why I am mentioning this, but does anyone here pray to God to help them find mr or ms Right?

I do. I suppose we have to decide on our own, though, to 'act' when He sends the right person our way.

Thoughts?

There's nothing wrong with being flirty @Right Now. It usually signals you're interested in someone, but I think flirting and then backing off is confusing for the person you're flirting with. That's not meant as criticism, merely an observation. Whether it's online or in person, I hope, since you've changed your mind about dating, you get the opportunity to flirt with someone you'd actually like to date.

I'm not flirty. I'm fun, friendly, and straight-forward, but I don't flirt. If I did, it would only be directed at a man I was clearly interested in dating because I don't want to attract unwanted advances. In my youth, I often wondered why guys would hit on me when I gave no indication of interest in them other than the fact that I was as friendly to them as I was to others in general. I thought some guys mistook friendliness for interest and read more into it than what was really there because of their own desires.

These days I don't have to worry about any of it, lol! Opportunities to meet people are all but non-existent. I still have a modicum of hope only because I'm not dead yet. Most guys are interested in being with younger women no matter their age, and I no longer fit that bill unless the guy is ancient. There's a razor-slim chance I might meet a man my own age who actually likes women who are my age. Who knows? Stranger things have happened, but I won't be holding my breath. I exhaled a long time ago.

Bella ✌️

Bella, about the age thing. I'm kinky that way, lol. I like women my age or even older. My last girl friend was 11 years older than me and overweight and thought she was hot as heck. I don't ask why.

Bella, about the age thing. I'm kinky that way, lol. I like women my age or even older. My last girl friend was 11 years older than me and overweight and thought she was hot as heck. I don't ask why.
You, my friend, I believe, are the exception. Thanks for saying that. It gives me hope that there might be another rare bird like you flying around out there in the universe. :)

Widow here for coming up 12 years, no interest in dating. I enjoy friends both male and female. Just people to pal around with. I had my great romance, in my mind you just get that once. Trust me, when he died, a few of guys we knew kept calling and coming around. Mind you these were the guys who did not hold steady jobs, made no plans for old age, still had nothing after 50. They somehow thought I was an easy mark. They were and are still living like their glory days of high school, it is pathetic.

Widow here for coming up 12 years, no interest in dating. I enjoy friends both male and female. Just people to pal around with. I had my great romance, in my mind you just get that once. Trust me, when he died, a few of guys we knew kept calling and coming around. Mind you these were the guys who did not hold steady jobs, made no plans for old age, still had nothing after 50. They somehow thought I was an easy mark. They were and are still living like their glory days of high school, it is pathetic.

Hi Blessed, I am glad you are succeeding in keeping those guys away. When my girl friend died 5 years ago, a few of her friends suddenly wanted to hang out with me, and I declined, just because I wasn't sure I wanted anything long term with them. I was flattered, though!

I want to chime in on my situation, which is that I am currently counting my blessings, as in not being in a toxic relationship, or an awful marriage.

I am frustrated though. Not finding my unicorn. I have been asking women out, even women I don't necessarily want to be s#xual with, since I am just so lonely. So far they are saying no, which might be a blessing in disguise, ha ha. It's starting to feel pointless, and frankly, off the rails a bit.

I actually wish I didn't have these lonely feelings. Why can't I be happy, like you are, with just friends?

I have female acquaintances I can talk to at various activities.

Question for you: those males and females you pal around with. How did you meet them?
Nobody at my activities goes out to 'pal around' (as far as I know) but it sounds like the perfect thing for me, maybe. Like a group of males and females going out to a movie, or out to dinner together, without necessarily a s*xual component. There aren't any 'meetup' groups near me.

There aren't any 'meetup' groups near me.
Very few around here also. Unfortunately, to increase the chances of meeting people, you have to go where the most people are which means moving to a more populated area, in other words, larger cities, which in a lot of cases people just can't afford to do or for some reason hate city living. (Not me, I'd love to have a great apartment or condo in or near a nice big city but that seems to be just me.)

Hi Blessed, I am glad you are succeeding in keeping those guys away. When my girl friend died 5 years ago, a few of her friends suddenly wanted to hang out with me, and I declined, just because I wasn't sure I wanted anything long term with them. I was flattered, though!

I want to chime in on my situation, which is that I am currently counting my blessings, as in not being in a toxic relationship, or an awful marriage.

I am frustrated though. Not finding my unicorn. I have been asking women out, even women I don't necessarily want to be s#xual with, since I am just so lonely. So far they are saying no, which might be a blessing in disguise, ha ha. It's starting to feel pointless, and frankly, off the rails a bit.

I actually wish I didn't have these lonely feelings. Why can't I be happy, like you are, with just friends?

I have female acquaintances I can talk to at various activities.

Question for you: those males and females you pal around with. How did you meet them?
Nobody at my activities goes out to 'pal around' (as far as I know) but it sounds like the perfect thing for me, maybe. Like a group of males and females going out to a movie, or out to dinner together, without necessarily a s*xual component. There aren't any 'meetup' groups near me.
I was not flattered at all. I saw what was going on. These fellows knew we had worked out butts off, they just wanted to ride someone else's skirt tales. What they failed to realize, I did not wear skirts. LOL I was a blue jean wearing, cut the grass, grow vegetables hard working lady. That was in addition to working a full time job and running a house.
My husband was very active in his work at the USPS. He was an assistant state steward for our region. He was well loved by his union people. My husbands best friend had been my friend since second grade. He also worked for the USPS. He was family to us. This friend was there every step of the way when my husband was sick. When my husband died the local just stepped up and I was included in lunch and dinners and such with the rest of the group. This best family friend died of a sudden heart attack when Covid came. Since april of 2020 I have kind of become a hermit.

The only thing I can suggest is getting involved at your local senior center. Ours does all kinds of fun things. There are the normal, easy exercise classes, people go in to play cards, do puzzles, play dominoes, crafts, play pool, they have dance classes (fun). In the summer we have a pool only available to seniors, you can have lunch and they also have some dinners. They do some bus tour adventures.

I would also check into your local library, they offer a lot of community activities, book clubs, classes, and entertainment. A good place to meet others.

I would check out your local community college if you have one, they offer a lot of continuing education programs and much free entertainment and facilities for exercise of all kinds.

The point of this is to meet others, male and female , to become friends with. If you meet a lady, slow your roll and let her determine if it will be something more, don't push. Any chance you might have will be gone with the wind if you push. At our age you must really get to know and trust a person for a serious relationship to develop. I am just speaking from my experience, it is not that I am even considering, I just like to have friends, nothing more.

I was not flattered at all. I saw what was going on. These fellows knew we had worked out butts off, they just wanted to ride someone else's skirt tales. What they failed to realize, I did not wear skirts. LOL I was a blue jean wearing, cut the grass, grow vegetables hard working lady. That was in addition to working a full time job and running a house.
My husband was very active in his work at the USPS. He was an assistant state steward for our region. He was well loved by his union people. My husbands best friend had been my friend since second grade. He also worked for the USPS. He was family to us. This friend was there every step of the way when my husband was sick. When my husband died the local just stepped up and I was included in lunch and dinners and such with the rest of the group. This best family friend died of a sudden heart attack when Covid came. Since april of 2020 I have kind of become a hermit.

The only thing I can suggest is getting involved at your local senior center. Ours does all kinds of fun things. There are the normal, easy exercise classes, people go in to play cards, do puzzles, play dominoes, crafts, play pool, they have dance classes (fun). In the summer we have a pool only available to seniors, you can have lunch and they also have some dinners. They do some bus tour adventures.

I would also check into your local library, they offer a lot of community activities, book clubs, classes, and entertainment. A good place to meet others.

I would check out your local community college if you have one, they offer a lot of continuing education programs and much free entertainment and facilities for exercise of all kinds.

The point of this is to meet others, male and female , to become friends with. If you meet a lady, slow your roll and let her determine if it will be something more, don't push. Any chance you might have will be gone with the wind if you push. At our age you must really get to know and trust a person for a serious relationship to develop. I am just speaking from my experience, it is not that I am even considering, I just like to have friends, nothing more.
Wow, Blessed, the sort-of senior center we have offers nothing like that (only help with probs such as places to live, drives to drs. apptmts. etc., no activities whatsoever). And the local library cut out activities as soon as Covid hit and has only started a few things back up. And what little the local churches and community colleges offered has also been cut way back & shows no signs of coming back (I've checked). IDK, maybe because this is a university town; I know that if you ask any of the brick-and-mortar stores that are still open why they don't carry a particular item, the answer is "the college kids don't buy that."

So sounds like you're lucky to live where you do. It's unfortunate since it's economically (and otherwise) unfeasible for most seniors to move, but to access better (or any!) senior services and have socializing opportunities, you need to move to more populated areas (but not a college/university town!).

Blessed, Thanks for the above advice. It makes sense. My thinking used to be that if you get into the 'friend zone' you will be stuck there forever, but with senior ladies, maybe there is some new logic involved.

I hope you do consider it. I fell in love with a boy at 15 and then married at 20. We grew up together, made plans for every step to life together. Today, in this world, I don't have a great deal of trust in others. It would take me a long time for me to be comfortable in letting anyone into my life, male or female.

Too many out there now that just want to take advantage of every situation. It is a sad thing that we have to do this in our older years. I hope you will be able to meet a nice lady, make friends with a lot of people but always be some what cautious until you really know a person. I am not talking about weeks or months, sometimes it can be years. Have fun, go places, be social but be aware that even though someone feels like this is a good person they may be only looking to find people they can take advantage of. They always want to come to your house for dinner, they always need a ride somewhere, they always need a small loan for something. They always need someone to help them when they are sick.

If you don't see that person giving the same to others in need that is a problem. Like the old saying goes, you have to be a friend to have a friend. It should not be one sided.

No matter how you cut it people are important to our mental and physical well being. Look at what happened during that "wonderful" Covid19 epidemic. The government & healthy officials told us to stay home ASAP. If we had to buy groceries we had to wear those "lovely" masks and keep 6 feet apart.

A lot of people got depressed. The sale of alcohol increased leaps and bounds, giving more revenue to the government. Drug use increased too. So, did family abuse. More people starred at their computers more and more resulting in all sorts of rip-offs; from bitcoin scams to dating scams. Domestic violence got a big boost in the ratings as couple were forced to be together 24/7. The education of our children went down the drain as school boards couldn't figure out what to do. One week school was opened; the next week the kiddies were doing "computer education" at home.

Many people have written they love to be alone. Good for them. I'm a sociable guy and I love talking to people. Whenever I travel and come home, I often forget the places I saw or the towns I pass through but I remember the people I meet. Even a little "chit chat" with some trucker or RV tourist at some rest stop gives me cause to remember those people and what they said for years to come.

I have often read that people in a nice loving relationship tend to live, on the average, longer than solitary beings. How can you compare sharing a meal and time with a loving spouse with sitting alone all day in front of the telly and watching depressing news, soup operas and the endless, brain burning commercials?

No matter how you cut it people are important to our mental and physical well being.

Many people have written they love to be alone. Good for them.

I have often read that people in a nice loving relationship tend to live, on the average, longer than solitary beings. How can you compare sharing a meal and time with a loving spouse with sitting alone all day in front of the telly and watching depressing news, soup operas and the endless, brain burning commercials?
I can't, John. As far as I'm concerned, there's no comparison. Nothing can take the place of the company of a loving spouse or partner. Maybe some people can fill the void with TV, a few friends, children, grandchildren, pets, outings, and other activities, and that's enough for them. Depending on what kind of relationship they had with their spouse, they might prefer not to fill that void with another partner or romantic companion. It could be because they think no one else could possibly "measure up". Or maybe they just don't want that kind of intimate relationship again. Others have no choice but to turn to TV, etc., to fill the void, whether they prefer it that way or not.

Before anyone jumps on me, I'm not saying that someone whose spouse has died didn't have a loving relationship because they prefer to be alone now. I just want to make that clear. People have their own reasons for wanting to remain alone and having to remain alone. For some people, having to remain alone may not really be a choice. They have to fill that void in whatever way they are able to manage it. However they choose to do it, I hope it brings them relief from loneliness.

Bella ✌️

well it's early days for me, he's only been gone a year and we're still married... but eventually when the ties are undone, I can't see me with another man... maybe casual friendships.. certainly, I've always been a person whose had more male friends than female.. but marriage?.. nope I can't see that in my future..

After I divorced my first husband it sickened me off marriage, and out of all my friends, I stuck to my guns and despite several proposals over the years , was determined not to marry again..

However I gave in 16 years later and Married my now husband.. , I won't say I should have stuck to my resolve because there's a lot of good in him ..as well as the not so good... but twice bitten?... time to sit up and pay attention.. so I'll be happy with casual friendships.. male or female...

trouble is these days it's hard to make new friendships.. everything is done online now, like with social media, and online forums...
It's a real dilemma for many now single people. You've got plenty of time to decide how and what you want to do. Be gentle with yourself as you deserve much good care after all you've been through.💜

Back