Has Anyone Tried the Keto Diet Plan?

I've used the low carb Atkins style diet plan similar to the Keto diet and it does work as long as you stick with it.

Most of the initial weight loss is the elimination of waste and water from your system.

Low carb diets are helpful to me in eliminating cravings but they are also tough to deal with for the long haul if you enjoy high carb starchy foods. It gets a little frustrating each time you fall off the wagon and have to go back to the beginning more restrictive diet.

I would encourage you to try and create your own plan that includes modest amounts of the foods that you enjoy. If you are able to find the right balance of calories and exercise to support your ideal weight the excess weight will gradually take care of itself.

I realize that is easy to say and hard to do, but a successful diet is one that you can live with for life.

Good luck.

A "low & slow" approach is best, so you don't feel miserable and 'punished' by the weight loss effort. Also, quick weight loss doesn't build the good eating habits like low & slow, inviting backsliding. "lost 26 pounds in six weeks"....that's a 2166 calorie daily deficit, which leaves you with almost nothing to eat. If you're an average sized person, you're going to burn 1500-2000 calories in a 24 hour day just breathing and sleeping.
1 pound of fat= 3500 calories, divide by 7(days in a week) and that's 500 calories per day for losing 1 pound in a week.

My personal effort has been to lose 1/2 pound a week(250 calorie deficit per day), which is pretty easy to do.

Check out this BMR calculator: https://www.calculator.net/bmr-calculator.html

Weight loss, IMO, has to start between a persons ears. Only when a person recognizes that they are overweight, and decides to do something about it, can they succeed. Any of these "diets" might work, for a short time....but unless a person Really wants to lose weight, and adopts a plan that they will stick with, any reductions they might have will probably Not be long term.

Two years ago, I went to a Keto N.P. She explained how to lose weight without any pills or things like that. She said you lose weight slowly & it won't return. She gave me several charts to use for what to eat. I was surprised as I could eat almost everything but smaller amounts. Also, she explained how much exercise (walking) I needed to do.

I went from 200 lbs. down to 169 lbs in 6 months. Then Conav hit & I mostly stayed home & no walking in stores. Along with that, I got conav-19. Then right knee problem. So I'm back to 210 since I can't exercise with this bad knee till they replace it.

The Keto diet works if you stick with it. I now look at the Carbs in everything NOT the calories. As she said calories are what your body needs to sustain itself. The Carbs is what you need to lower slowly to lose weight.

I've found good-tasting keto bread, Ice cream, Pizzas. Sometimes when out I order a cheeseburger without the bun on a bed of rice or lettuce. Also a pizza I'll order without the crust or sometimes they have keto crusts.

I think we all know what to eat and what not to eat and exercise is a must for me at least. If I don't exercise I lose almost nothing. I thought I would try the Keto diet just for a little more regiment. The Mediterranean Diet is the best or highest rated for health. I read one study claiming metabolism has little to do with weight loss.

I asked my doctor about the Keto diet months ago and she told me it's used to treat children with epilepsy and it isn't meant to be a long term diet for adults. My step-daughter, who is terribly over weight, has tried every diet out there. She loses weight but gains it right back when she falls off the diet. She did the Keto diet for over 2 years and reached a plateau and couldn't lose anything else. She was that way for months and got discouraged. She gained all her weight back...plus. Just eat healthy, unprocessed foods, watch salt intake, and carbs. The Mediterranean "diet" is the healthiest way to eat...if you can afford it.

I went on the Keto diet about 5 months ago. It was mainly to help with IBS symptoms. It has almost eliminated the bad IBS symptoms, and I lost 40 lbs.. The diet is for adults also. The formula is to basically to eat ( Hal2000/Google says) "Generally, popular ketogenic resources suggest an average of 70-80% fat from total daily calories, 5-10% carbohydrate, and 10-20% protein. For a 2000-calorie diet, this translates to about 165 grams fat, 40 grams carbohydrate, and 75 grams protein. "

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=keto+diet+70+20+10+carbs+protein

It works for me. I am not sure if it right for everyone.

I've been on every diet on the face of the earth. They all worked .. until I went off them. I also walked and went to exercise classes. I now eat what I'm allowed, in moderation. Still above my "ideal" weight, but no longer yo-yo dieting.

My nephew's wife has been eating keto for several months. Her weight loss has been slow, and she has hit a plateau. About 10 years ago, she lost 100 lbs. through dieting and exercise.

Personally, I don't think I could stick to keto .. but then again, never say "never".

If you go on the Keto Diet,you shuld keep an eye on your blood work,since I have read many people/s cholesterol goes up and that
It does help diabetics to follow a low carb diet in moderation.

I just put on a free documentary movie called "Fat Fiction". It basically says "Fat Fiction reveals how the United States government relied on questionable evidence to support one of the most damaging public health recommendations in the history of our country: the “low fat diet.”

Here is the link : Fat Fiction
I see the first person they interview is Gary Taubes. I'm a big fan of him and his talks. My doctor still tells people to go on a low fat diet. I like my doctor, but I don't think he's read anything about diet or nutrition since the 1990's.

Hubs and I started keto back in mid-March. I've lost a lot of weight but don't know how much because I don't weigh myself.
We started keto because hubs had LOST so much weight he was down from 175 to 118 lbs. He'd been taken off insulin by his doc which was why I suspected he was suddenly losing so much weight. So, having read that keto uses fat rather than carbs, I thought we'd try keto. He IMMEDIATELY started gaining back some of the weight he'd lost!
From what I've read, insulin is a "fat storage" hormone. What I suspect is, doc took hubs off insulin (told him "you're not diabetic anymore!" - all excited) but hubs' sugar count was low not because he wasn't diabetic anymore, but because we'd stopped all sugar and started using stevia for anything sweet. So he STILL doesn't have much insulin is what I thought; and without enough insulin he couldn't handle carbs; he got horrible leg cramps that would wake him up screaming just after falling asleep. So. Low carbs is working! keto has probably saved his life, not for LOSING weight, but for GAINING it.

Has Anyone Tried the Keto Diet Plan?
I have, and lost a lot of weight, but then regained. As @Aunt Bea says the initial weight loss can be rapid, but that is due, in part, to water and digestive solids loss. Eating fewer carbs will reduce water retention.

Any diet that reduces calories will work, you just need to find one you can stick to and live with long term. For some that's Keto.
I've been on every diet on the face of the earth. They all worked .. until I went off them.
Absolutely!
1 pound of fat= 3500 calories, divide by 7(days in a week) and that's 500 calories per day for losing 1 pound in a week.
Very true, a simple equation, but hard to implement. It all comes down to calories.

My most successful dieting has just been counting calories and trying to eat a healthy balance of food. No named diet. I am almost 200 lbs below my peak weight, and can offer no silver bullet.

I tried the Keto diet but decided that it was not for me because fresh fruit has always been a big part of my diet and I could not give it up. Anyway, I went on the "Fit or Fat Target Diet" but it did not work for me like it once did, so I started counting calories and that seems to be the solution. I try to keep my calorie count under 1600 a day---even though I could have more and still lose weight. Here is the chart I go by.
IMG_1279.JPG

I have been on the Keto diet for 5 months. I fasted for 24 hours and then ate food according to this Keto diet food plan.

iu

I have lost 35 pounds , and many of the bad symptoms of chronic IBS have vanished. I stay away from from processed sugar and flours.

I have been on the Keto diet for 5 months. I fasted for 24 hours and then ate food according to this Keto diet food plan.

iu

I have lost 35 pounds , and many of the bad symptoms of chronic IBS have vanished. I stay away from from processed sugar and flours.
There is no doubt that it works. Congratulations! You are doing great! I also do Intermitten Fasting. 17 hour fast.

I tried the Keto diet but decided that it was not for me because fresh fruit has always been a big part of my diet and I could not give it up. Anyway, I went on the "Fit or Fat Target Diet" but it did not work for me like it once did, so I started counting calories and that seems to be the solution. I try to keep my calorie count under 1600 a day---even though I could have more and still lose weight. Here is the chart I go by.
View attachment 196715
Activity level has a lot to do with it, too.

Back