Have You Had A Conversation with A Muslim?

I have spoken with many of them in the US, Kuwait, Saudi, UAE and Indonesia. Discussed everything from religion to baseball. They are pretty normal people, much like us. Some religious, some not. Never met one who expressed any extremist or terrorist views, or who admitted to agreeing with the extremists. Most seemed at least as troubled by the extremists as we are, maybe more its closer to home for some of them.

Last edited:
Not all things attributed to Musim peoples are bad ones. Here’s a list of 20 Muslim Inventions that shaped OUR world regardless of your religious beliefs. I’m not sure 🤔 that I’ve had many conversations with Muslims but I’m pretty sure that Muslim people contributed much to my life.
CLICK HERE FOR LINK

Yes, and also the wonderful food, if you have not used a tangine yet, try it!! Also try some of these great dishes.

https://worldfood.guide/list/national-dishes-from-muslim-countries/

Young couple across the street are from India. They are Hindu. The husband has his doctorate in entomology. The wife just got her doctorate in microbiology. Two of the nicest "kids" we could ever ask for in our neighborhood. I've loaned him my truck with no questions asked. They have shared Indian food with us and my wife has taken them desserts she has baked. We have visited about "arranged marriages", etc. with them
There is an Islamic Mosque two blocks from our home. Never even know it's there. Certainly have zero fear of anyone who attends. The largest segment of their worshipers are our college professors and students. One of our granddaughters was best friends with a Muslim girl when they were in early elementary school. That family has now moved away.
When we are shopping locally we may well see any number of fellow shoppers in their native or religious attire. To pass someone in a store aisle in her Islamic attire never bothers me. Was in Home Depot a couple weeks ago. I passed a fellow shopper in the aisle who was open carrying a handgun in a holster. The holstered handgun was riding low like one would see in a 1960's western movie. A large hunting knife was plainly visible on the other hip. Now, that guy bothered me much more than the Muslims, Hindu, Jews, Sikhs in our community.

I mentioned this in another thread, but worth repeating. I was at the dentist office one year, maybe just before or after Thanksgiving. Any way, a young employee, Muslim lady, was decorating the Holiday tree. She was wearing the head scarf...sorry forget what it is called.
I mentioned how nice the tree and decorations looked. She said she loved this Christian holiday, because of the pretty lights and colors. You could see her eyes sparkle, at the fact that even though this was not in her belief system, she could still appreciate it.

She then paused a bit, looked at the tree, then at me, and unprompted she said "I hate what my people did to yours. We are not all like that."

Here's my story, a bit of a long one but I hope you will read. I will start out by saying that the couple's kids call me Auntie Lee and that says a lot. At first only a term of respect but as time went on we became closer and Auntie meant a lot more. Names changed of course for this story.

Sal moved across the street from us in our old home and was never there except maybe once a month. OH my, the neighbors tongues wagged. The guy just had to be up to something, his clothing was expensive, and he was always dropped off by cab.
One SOB started the rumour that this guy was running a grow house. He had seen fans blowing through a chink in the window. When I heard that from the lady next door I invited her to come with me so we could check the hydro meter.....funny it was turning ever so slow, not what you would expect from a grow house.

Eventually Sal did move in all by himself. Hubby and we introduced ourselves and he exlained that he was from Toronto, originally from Pakistan and he was a Canadian citizen but his wife and kids were still in Pakistan which is where they met. and not citizens. Both were professional people, he a university director and she a doctor.

For two years we all waited, I can tell you that it was so very hard on Sal, he would go to Pakistan once every few months but it was not the same as having his family here with him.

Have to tell you about the washing machine story. Sal came over to ask me how to wash clothes. He had not a clue as to how to even start the machine. I joked and told him with a straight face that now that he was in this country he had to learn because it was the men that did the wash. He said no, he was not going to do that, he never had before and he was not going to start now. So I said that I supposed in Pakistan that Azza had to always do the wash. No, he said, Azza no wash clothes either. The kids....another no. Who then I asked washed the clothes......the maid he said, I should have known.

Finally Azza arrived with the kids, I can't tell you who was more excited, me or Sal. Such a tiny little lady, I was scared when I hugged her she would break.

Both now jobless and relying on their savings she was dependent on me to show her around for shopping. I took her to the mall, too expensive for most things, we went to Value Village, she went crazy there shopping for the kids. I watched that she was not taken advantage of as she was not up on the currency.

One thing, people looked at us oddly.....you do not often see a white woman with a Muslim woman shopping, you could see the stares.

One day the men were out of the back porch and Azza started to cry. Seems like Sal was pressuring her to "dress like Lee" and said it would be easier on them as a family if she did not look like she just stepped off the plane.....his words, not mine.

I told her that I agreed with Sal in a way but she should dress as she felt comfortable and when she felt that she might want to change her dress code it would and should be her choice.

Finally after six months of living here Azza called me and said for us to come over, she had something important to show us.

We walked across the street, Sal was all smiles and down the staircase comes Azza, it was a darn hot day of almost 90 degrees but she was dressed like Lee.....in long jeans and a long sleeved sweater. She was not going to show toooo much skin in spite of the weather.

The couple had to work, savings do not last forever, they planned to operate a gas station. Hard to imagine going from what they had and what they were used to but it was the plan.

They had to get licensed first to be able to do the propane end in addition to the gas and variety. We went with them and the jerk who was to teach them about propane showed in his demeanor that he had no respect for Azza. I said to him that he should show a little more respect and I planned to say something to his boss. I then told him that I called my friend Azza but he should address her as Doctor Jahil as she is a qualified doctor.

Today we live in separate towns but we do keep in touch via phone and the occasional visit. They lead a busy life, the kids are all heading to professional careers. they did good in this country.

I am glad we all took the initiative to step outside race boundaries and became friends.

I have lots of conversations with Muslims, they are everywhere over here,
they are just normal people with their own rules, of dress and gender.

Never have I spoke about religion or wars or terrorism, they are just
normal people and mainly nice people, most were born here just as
Catholics, Jews, Presbyterians, etc., etc.

I have even worked with a few, they are hard workers, especially the
immigrants, they want to earn and stay away from the law.

Mike.

Here's my story, a bit of a long one but I hope you will read. I will start out by saying that the couple's kids call me Auntie Lee and that says a lot. At first only a term of respect but as time went on we became closer and Auntie meant a lot more. Names changed of course for this story.

Sal moved across the street from us in our old home and was never there except maybe once a month. OH my, the neighbors tongues wagged. The guy just had to be up to something, his clothing was expensive, and he was always dropped off by cab.
One SOB started the rumour that this guy was running a grow house. He had seen fans blowing through a chink in the window. When I heard that from the lady next door I invited her to come with me so we could check the hydro meter.....funny it was turning ever so slow, not what you would expect from a grow house.

Eventually Sal did move in all by himself. Hubby and we introduced ourselves and he exlained that he was from Toronto, originally from Pakistan and he was a Canadian citizen but his wife and kids were still in Pakistan which is where they met. and not citizens. Both were professional people, he a university director and she a doctor.

For two years we all waited, I can tell you that it was so very hard on Sal, he would go to Pakistan once every few months but it was not the same as having his family here with him.

Have to tell you about the washing machine story. Sal came over to ask me how to wash clothes. He had not a clue as to how to even start the machine. I joked and told him with a straight face that now that he was in this country he had to learn because it was the men that did the wash. He said no, he was not going to do that, he never had before and he was not going to start now. So I said that I supposed in Pakistan that Azza had to always do the wash. No, he said, Azza no wash clothes either. The kids....another no. Who then I asked washed the clothes......the maid he said, I should have known.

Finally Azza arrived with the kids, I can't tell you who was more excited, me or Sal. Such a tiny little lady, I was scared when I hugged her she would break.

Both now jobless and relying on their savings she was dependent on me to show her around for shopping. I took her to the mall, too expensive for most things, we went to Value Village, she went crazy there shopping for the kids. I watched that she was not taken advantage of as she was not up on the currency.

One thing, people looked at us oddly.....you do not often see a white woman with a Muslim woman shopping, you could see the stares.

One day the men were out of the back porch and Azza started to cry. Seems like Sal was pressuring her to "dress like Lee" and said it would be easier on them as a family if she did not look like she just stepped off the plane.....his words, not mine.

I told her that I agreed with Sal in a way but she should dress as she felt comfortable and when she felt that she might want to change her dress code it would and should be her choice.

Finally after six months of living here Azza called me and said for us to come over, she had something important to show us.

We walked across the street, Sal was all smiles and down the staircase comes Azza, it was a darn hot day of almost 90 degrees but she was dressed like Lee.....in long jeans and a long sleeved sweater. She was not going to show toooo much skin in spite of the weather.

The couple had to work, savings do not last forever, they planned to operate a gas station. Hard to imagine going from what they had and what they were used to but it was the plan.

They had to get licensed first to be able to do the propane end in addition to the gas and variety. We went with them and the jerk who was to teach them about propane showed in his demeanor that he had no respect for Azza. I said to him that he should show a little more respect and I planned to say something to his boss. I then told him that I called my friend Azza but he should address her as Doctor Jahil as she is a qualified doctor.

Today we live in separate towns but we do keep in touch via phone and the occasional visit. They lead a busy life, the kids are all heading to professional careers. they did good in this country.

I am glad we all took the initiative to step outside race boundaries and became friends.
@Lee I really enjoyed reading the story about your new neighbors! Thanks for relating.

I admire you for your kindness to these newcomers; bless you.

Never an in depth conversation about culture and religion, but I've liked the Muslim doctors I've worked with ...all male though. I'd love to talk in depth with a woman who came of age in a predominately Muslim country.

My best friend lived for six months in Tunisa gathering anthropological data, so I've heard a lot from her perspective. She was single, so was pretty much limited to contact with women but they were from varied socioeconomic backgrounds, varying degrees of religious views.

Lon, what is your motive for inquiring about Muslims? To my knowledge Muslims are characterized as human, therefore share similar traits as you and I. With that said the human race is not perfect, perhaps that is why we are human.

A very beautiful story Lee, thank you for sharing and showing love and kindness:love:

I dated a Muslim in college. My mom thought he looked like a prince, that he spoke English exceedingly well, and he was very polite. He was all of those things, including being very intelligent. Usually that trait would matter first to my mom, but she was stuck on the prince thing.

He wanted to marry me, and move back to Jordan when he finished college. I didn't want to marry him. There is no way I would live in a Muslim country. I would not feel safe. Also, while I liked him very much, I did not like a couple of his relatives (also college students) because of the way they viewed women in general, and American women in particular.

My family and I are close friends with a Muslim family from Bosnia. They are the smartest, happiest, friendliest, hardest working, most hospitable, and generous people I have ever met. Some of their family members live nearby, and we have met them. They are all proud to be American citizens, some naturalized and some by birth. We have never talked about religion, mostly because it didn't come up. We do talk sometimes about their lives in Bosnia. Some of it is horrifying and sad, but some are happy stories. My mom told me they were Muslim. They attend a mosque.

Any woman who marries a man from a different culture and leaves her family to live in a foreign country takes a huge risk. Whether it is a western woman who moves to the Middle East or an Asian woman who moves to Australia to marry a man she thinks she knows, the result can be horrific.

That is not to say that every other marriage turns out OK. Getting married is always a leap of faith IMO.

Have You Had A Conversation with A Muslim?​

I've been blessed for many years by having a close friend who is a Shiia Muslim from Iran. One of the greatest human beings I have ever known. We are both scholars and have had rather long conversations on many topics.

One time he took up Spanish for a short while and asked how I felt about his pronunciation of words. I told him that it was excellent. Then I gave him a few words in Ladino (Spanish Hebrew) and he pronounced them equally well. Just for fun, I tried writing the Farsi alphabet and he said my penmanship was excellent.

It's good to have friends.

Went shopping for groceries today and bought a large can of halvah & made milk shake:

cup of milk
⅔ cup of ice cream
⅔ cup of peach yogurt
½ cup cool whip
3 spoons of halvah

topped it with pine nuts & cinnamon -- next time may add orange marmalade :)

Yum!
I have never made milk shake with halva, it sounds delectable! Am doing an online grocery order and have just incuded halva!!

I have never made milk shake with halva, it sounds delectable! Am doing an online grocery order and have just incuded halva!!

In Puerto Rico we drink a beverage known as jugo de ajonjolí. Ajonjoli is the ancient Spanish-Arabic word for sesame. Morriscos (Spanish-Arabs) introduced Europe to sesame both for beverages and for food. Not only is this beverage delicious, it is highly nutritious as well. Here is a recipe for it:

There are other ways to make but his is the simplest one I could find though I prefer some milk or heavy cream in the recipe. I recommend you use the translator in the channel (even for those who speak Spanish) as his Caribbean Creole accent may be too deep to understand for those accustomed to speaking a more standard Spanish.

Back