Have you noticed how the music from the 60s keeps coming up in TV ads?

I admit it, I am a child of the 60s. I was exactly the right age for the explosion of Rock Music. So, of , course I love it. I keep noticing that era's music in a lot of TV ads. Especially car ads have great 60s music. I often wondered how those ad makers even knew about those songs. They weren't born then. Jeesh, even their parents weren't born. Is it me, or are we still hearing the great sounds of the 60s on TV?

funny u mention this on the thread- only saying the other day =a well known bed advert with roy orbison
singing -it sounds worn out and screechy 'and I love roy orbison big fan - but I grab the remote to turn off sound
but love the platters singing now on one !

Last edited:
They're following the numbers, fuzzy. There are more baby boomers than any other generation, so the advertisers want to attract them.

Exactly. It's market driven. I've noticed this all my adult life. It's the baby boom generation that gets targeted the most by advertising.

Don't forget rock & roll was born in the 50's when most of use were kids then the 60's came and we were teenagers or "crazy teenagers' as were called. R&R spread throughout the world in the 60's.

Yes, I've noticed with Applebee's restaurant ads they use music from the 70's
e.g Marvin Gaye'Lets Get it On',KC& The Sunshine Band'Keep It Coming',Barry White'Can't Get Enough'

From Wikipedia........

"The Millennial generation continues to grow as young immigrants expand its ranks. The Pew Research Center has projected that by 2019 millennials will surpass Baby Boomers to become the largest living generation in the United States. "

So if the Millennial's have become the largest group? I assume that translates to sales as well ? Seems strange that [our] music is the music used to sell. Unless, there is a turn toward [our] music among their ranks ?? As per my ears....today's music sure as hell is un-listenable .

From Wikipedia........

"The Millennial generation continues to grow as young immigrants expand its ranks. The Pew Research Center has projected that by 2019 millennials will surpass Baby Boomers to become the largest living generation in the United States. "

So if the Millennial's have become the largest group? I assume that translates to sales as well ? Seems strange that [our] music is the music used to sell. Unless, there is a turn toward [our] music among their ranks ?? As per my ears....today's music sure as hell is un-listenable .

Advertisers always target where the money is. Millennials haven't saved enough money yet to make large purchases and are probably up to their eyeballs in debt trying to buy it anyway.

On the other hand, devils advocate, when I go to a program that is likely to have a high no of SR s like SR center, oasis etc, why do they seem to think all we want to hear is old 40 & 50 stuff.. if that woman at the church socials sings Blue Moon one more time 😡🤬
The performers who came while I was in assisted living did that too, & we’d just roll our eyes & look at each other.

Maybe they sang the wrong songs. The songs of our youth to me is what touches us the most. Personally songs of 40's and 50's would not move me much. Just depends on that era that made you fall in love. Oh my gosh, sure does.

Research suggests that listening to or singing songs can provide emotional and behavioral benefits for people with Alzheimer's disease and other types of dementia. Musical memories are often preserved in Alzheimer's disease because key brain areas linked to musical memory are relatively undamaged by the disease.

Back