Have You Shrunk With Age?

I lost an inch. My husband lost four inches when he had his colon removed. The muscles needed to hold his backbone in place and keep his discs from compressing were sliced into. They had to cut into them to remove the damage done to the colon by diverticulitis. Now one of his shoulders is way lower than the other was well, and he became stooped over.

As I understand it, a person's height at the end of the day is a bit less than it is in the morning. This is because the discs between the vertebrae become somewhat compressed by the weight of the body. After sleep they are decompressed. As we age these discs lose their ability to decompress and this is what causes the loss in height in seniors. It also causes stiffness of the spine.

As I understand it, a person's height at the end of the day is always a bit less than it was in the morning. This is because the discs between the vertebrae become somewhat compressed by the weight of the body. After sleep they are decompressed. As we age these discs lose their ability to decompress and this is what causes the loss in height in seniors. It also causes stiffness of the spine.

Back