Home? I feel like running away from this place where I live

Hey, Debbie.....want to change places? I want to live in Seattle, although my brother-in-law says I'd turn tail and head back to Florida before the first winter was over. I've never been there more than a month at a time and that month was in good weather. I'm usually there for only two weeks when I'm there in the winter.

I'd trade with you in a heartbeat. Yes, everyone shows up to Seattle in the middle of our nicest weather and wonders why there's so much complaining from we Seattleites. During the winter, it gets dark around 4-4:30 and doesn't become daylight until about 7:30-8am. And the rain........months and months and months of it. My mom lived in Florida and would visit us during the summer to avoid her high a/c bills.

After 50 years, to move now, Warrigal! Hope the shock isn't too great.

When either of us needs additional care that cannot be provided at home we will move into a hostel together.
We will be ready when the time comes and I will not have any regrets. I never look back when it is time to leave something behind.

My mum used to say home is where you hang your hat.
She moved around a lot as a child because her father was in the postal service and was regularly transferred from one country town to another.

tortiecat;391636 Georgia you sound like my sister who will never find contentment where ever she lives. I feel profoundly sorry for both of you.[/QUOTE said:
Nice for you that you've lived in only a few places and have good memories of all of them. However, after having been uprooted time after time while growing up, while my kids were growing up and then agreeing to move to Kentucky because my husband wanted to go there, is it really so hard to understand that I feel rootless?

I'm not like the people my military friends used to say thought their "last duty station was the best one". I'm just tired of starting over so many times. The times when I chose to make a change were rare.

By the time we reach our 70s and 80s, most people pretty much have a circle of friends they've had since forever and/or their families and don't quite welcome newbies. They'll usually be kind and friendly, of course, but their "circles" closed long ago so it's not like I can just insert myself into someone else's life!

For those of you who've been fortunate enough to never experience it, how lovely for you that you haven't felt the sense of aloneness or separateness or whatever it might be called. How nice for you that you always feel "at home". Wherever I've found myself, I've made an effort to become a part of the community, enjoyed being there while I was there and when it was time to leave, looked forward to the next adventure.

Many of the comments on this thread help me to understand that I'm not the only one. Some of the comments on this thread make me feel like a chronic malcontent and are entirely unhelpful and hurtful.

I think there are pros and cons to each situation -- living in the same place all your life has its drawbacks, perhaps limited perspective; living in many places also has its advantages (a broader outlook on life) and disadvantages, we've just got to work with what we've got and do our best and for those who label frequent movers as malcontents, perhaps they need to get off their high horses and stop being so judgmental, as they could be next in line for the moving van themselves.

I don't think there is a right way to find/feel at home, just your way. Georgia, we love you on sf, your warmth, humour, willingness to try new things bring something delightful to the site. You have a spirit younger than half the fifty year olds I know. Vent any time you like. Some of us think of you as online family.:love_heart:

I hate living in Seattle, the rain, the masses of people moving in, the traffic, the taxes. My bones ache constantly from the cold, damp weather. My husband refuses to live anywhere else, his entire family lives here. I haven't felt 'at home' for over 30 years.
Debbie, where would you like to live? For a very short time when I was real young, we stayed with my mom's male cousin in a log house in the forest. It was by Everett and Cashmere. I was about 4 and of course, I liked it there. We have vacationed in Seattle, back when all our kids were still at home. In the 70s.

Georgia, I understand how you feel. When I first moved here in the mountains I hated it and for the first 10 years I did nothing to make it more homey. I didn't even unpack a lot of things. I've been here 22 years now and I've come to accept it but if I had the $ I'd move in a second. I live in a beautiful area and people come from all over the world to visit just 40 minutes from my house, this place is paid for and we can live OK here BUT I don't feel at home. I like living in a town or city where I can get around and do things. I don't know what the answer is, maybe when we die we'll feel at home. I have lived over 100 places at lest, and some I have loved and some I have felt very sad and lonely. I don't have an answer for you but I can tell you that you are not alone.

Debbie, where would you like to live? For a very short time when I was real young, we stayed with my mom's male cousin in a log house in the forest. It was by Everett and Cashmere. I was about 4 and of course, I liked it there. We have vacationed in Seattle, back when all our kids were still at home. In the 70s.

linda~ my ideal place to live, putting reality aside and knowing it will never happen.....ocean, warm weather, but not too hot, small village/town I could walk to or ride a bike to so I could buy my produce from the local farmers markets. Not a lot of traffic, sidewalks and friendly people.

linda~ my ideal place to live, putting reality aside and knowing it will never happen.....ocean, warm weather, but not too hot, small village/town I could walk to or ride a bike to so I could buy my produce from the local farmers markets. Not a lot of traffic, sidewalks and friendly people.

Sounds really nice - hope it come true for you.

I too once wished for such a place - I even thought I was living in it - but the problems that came along with living there eventually overwhelmed the positives.

Back