Honk, If You Like Geese!

Danish Spotted Geese

What Exactly Is a “Wild Goose Chase”?

Meaning: A hopeless quest

"Originally, a 'wild goose chase' was a horse race [originating in the 16th century], in which a leading rider would head off into a field and make an especially challenging, winding course through the surrounding land. A second rider would then have to follow, retracing the first rider's steps exactly and copying his every twist and turn, no matter how difficult, as they chased after him. A third rider would then set out after the second, and then a fourth and so on, until an entire group of of riders was tracking one another through the countryside, all retracing the leader’s steps.

This method of horse racing—which was perhaps originally used as a means of challenging younger or less experienced riders’ horsemanship—became known as a 'wild goose chase,' as each rider in the group precisely follows the one in front, just as a flock ... of geese neatly follow one another in a V shape in the sky. A wild goose chase featured an evasive leader, trying to trick everyone. No one knew what move was coming next, so it was impossible to prepare.

What has long been credited as the earliest written record of a wild goose chase came from William Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet:

Mercutio: 'Nay, if our wits run the wild-goose chase, I am done, for thou hast more of the wild-goose in one of thy wits than, I am sure, I have in my whole five.'

Mercutio is complaining about losing a battle of wits to Romeo, while they wander the streets of Verona waiting to meet with Juliet’s nurse. Because this was thought of as the phrase’s earliest written record, the origin of the wild goose chase has long been credited to Shakespeare and merely chalked up to just another of his many literary inventions. But in fact it’s more likely that Shakespeare was playing on an already established term—a term that has its roots ... in hunting with horses."

This is interesting, Meanderer, The sidebar in the enlargement states-

"Narrative description: American Revolution, peace negotiations. Charles Fox wished to acknowledge American independence immediately, while Shelburne wanted to wait and use it as a tool to bargain with France. Fox was accused of excess sympathy for America. Images include: Charles Fox as a fox; Fox's supporters as geese; British ships. "

This is interesting, Meanderer, The sidebar in the enlargement states-

"Narrative description: American Revolution, peace negotiations. Charles Fox wished to acknowledge American independence immediately, while Shelburne wanted to wait and use it as a tool to bargain with France. Fox was accused of excess sympathy for America. Images include: Charles Fox as a fox; Fox's supporters as geese; British ships. "
Thanks, Rose! I liked the image,initially, and later saw that there is a deeper story. See link for Charles James Fox BRITISH POLITICIAN

Back