How cheap are you?

What do you do, that others might think you're "cheap" for doing it? How cheap are you?
Well, I did try to glue a broken toothbrush back together.
I'm so cheap, my frequent question is 'how much!'. Followed by 'ridiculous, I'm not paying that'.
I want value for money. The biggest thing I object to is eating out. I cannot justify it.

I am frugal. But today I just spent $2700 for 4 windows. But they are triple pane, locally manufactured, and of great quality. But otherwise I shop bargains, saving about $30 on groceries each week. And when I worked, I brown bagged lunch for 29 years - do the math on that! Which is why I have money for the windows.
I bet you did a sharp deal on the windows. That kind of expenditure is good, increasing the value of your property. Not spending on holidays and such wastes of money.

It bothers me when cashiers ask if I want my change back. Of course I do. It's mine. The store doesn't need it more than I do.

If carrying around change was a hassle, I can donate it. I wouldn't choose my store as a charity.
The best thing to do is to put a penny container on the counter with the “Leave a few, take a few” sign. That works remarkably well and nobody gets offended.

Debodun said
"You watch the pennies and the dollars take care of themselves."
A boss I had about 50 years ago always said that. I still believe it.

I also collect rain water to water my flower plants with. My well is electric.

I fill empty large mayonnaise jars with change. I asked my daughters if she would take a large jar to the TOPS market because I was afraid I would drop it, and they have a machine that can exchange the change for a ticket their customer service will give cash on. There is a small fee.

She came back with 99 bucks, after the fee and the fee was only a few dollars!

We also have a baby bottle campaign at my church for a local pregnancy center-but the bottles were due Sunday and I almost forgot- but I had a small mayo jar filled and used that- and it filled the bottle and there was a little over $20.00 in it.

I also wash and reuse tin foil if it isn't too greasy.

I can definitely relate. I hate food waste also. I now freeze leftovers. Not on my plate - Not that cheap lol. If I cook a pot of broccoli, green beans, chili, etc. and hubby and I don't eat the leftovers in a day or two - I put it in glad bags and freeze it. It really comes in handy. I also squeeze the last drop of toothpaste out that I can get.:ROFLMAO:
Amazing how much toothpaste comes out when I think the tube has to be empty. The tube will last another week if I keep squeezing.

Debodun said
"You watch the pennies and the dollars take care of themselves."
A boss I had about 50 years ago always said that. I still believe it.

I also collect rain water to water my flower plants with. My well is electric.

I fill empty large mayonnaise jars with change. I asked my daughters if she would take a large jar to the TOPS market because I was afraid I would drop it, and they have a machine that can exchange the change for a ticket their customer service will give cash on. There is a small fee.

She came back with 99 bucks, after the fee and the fee was only a few dollars!

We also have a baby bottle campaign at my church for a local pregnancy center-but the bottles were due Sunday and I almost forgot- but I had a small mayo jar filled and used that- and it filled the bottle and there was a little over $20.00 in it.

I also wash and reuse tin foil if it isn't too greasy.
I take my jar of change to the bank and get it ALL back. No fee.

I don't need to worry about prices, I just don't buy things. My dread of shopping works well for our finances. Our furniture was bought 20 or more years ago and I drive a 1998 Neon. The car is in pristine condition and the furniture looks better than when we bought it due to the weekly polishing. Clothes? I'm covered.

My dog and I believe in the old adage, "Stay home! Stay!"

84410f8e3591f01d72a7e3b8f878d262.jpg

I agree @Della, so many have fallen into the "trap" of shopping and spending as a social outing. They buy things they don't need. I am like you, I have an old car that I think will last until I pass. There are things I need to replace at home but I have been getting by fine.

I just look at it with sense, do I really need this? Why is what I have not good enough? I have been blessed that I don't have to worry about money but that is not something I take for granted. I want to be frugal with my funds in case I need to go into care at some point.

@Della You are certainly correct. If you don't go out, you don't spend. I hope I'll have a place I'm happy staying at some day.

Today I'm going to PAWS thrift. See if I spend anything. But I too don't need anything. Thrifting is relaxation, fun and entertainment for me.

Back