How Close are you with your Family?

Youngatheart

Psychologists talk about “families of orientation" and “families of procreation." Put another way, the family you were born into and the family you create.

I am not at all close to my brother. But our daughter and grandkids come over every Sunday for supper, so we're close. For years when our daughter was young, we spent Thanksgiving and the Fourth of July with another family of friends. We are pretty close to them also. The kids (now grown) consider me a second mom.

Procreation - very close. My kids (all three of them) and I have just finished an hour-long texting conversation. We do that nearly every day. I very often send and receive texts from the grandkids also.

Orientation - it varies. I have lots of cousins, everybody lives all over the country, so we've largely lost contact with each other, with a few exceptions. I'm still in touch with a handful of the cousins.

I'm an only child, so siblings don't figure in my case.

Our family wasn't raised to be close, so we aren't. My wife and I have had a good marriage since 1983 and still doing well. I get along well with her family. From what I can discern, this is similar to my siblings - we have all adopted our spouse's families as our own, in a manner of speaking.

Tony

I'm very close with my younger&only brother,we talk every Sun
When the pandempic started,we started to zoom every Sunday at 4,seeing him,my sister in law,their 4 kids every week makes my day. Our older sister lives in England,she doesn't partake in the family Zoom meetings- her loss
I have a group of close friends who are my 'extended family' since my siblings don't live here

My half sister & I were very close when we were kids. We needed to be. But as we became adults, our lives changed , and we went in different direction, and she went to another state. As such it is a phone call [on average] once p/year , & holiday greeting cards.

Psychologists talk about “families of orientation" and “families of procreation." Put another way, the family you were born into and the family you create.
I tend to bore people on any subject connected with families, so I will limit myself here by pointing to the comments of a Canadian lawyer called Goldwater, (made in 1992), and she spoke of the need for closeness in interpersonal relationships, (and the need for privacy, so limitations on agencies prying into our family life). :unsure: .

I am close to my family but don't see them often enough due to distance and now the pandemic. I do get along with everyone. Have too many nephews and nieces to keep in touch with though and they are all scattered around in different parts of Texas. My two sisters still live in our hometown. I love them both.

I married to get away from my parents and had little contact with them afterwards. I was close to uncles and aunts, but they have all died now.
I'm close to my own children and, though I don't contact them every day, I do keep in touch with them.

Back