How do you answer the question "what do you do all day"?

For some reason the question bothers me, it always seems to be asked in a condensending tone. It seems to be the first question asked when someone learns I'm retired or that I retired early. I usually say "I keep myself busy" or "anything I like", both true statements. Part of it is I'm a short story type of guy and have no desire to detail my hour by hour, day by day activities or projects I'm involved in so I kind of deflect the question.

Just wondering how others answer the question.
I've been retired for many years now, and I can't recall anyone in real life asking me that question. I agree with your response, I'd say 'anything I like' with a big grin, and leave it at that. Honestly, the details are none of their business, as others here said, if it is said in a condescending way, then sarcasm would be appropriate. I wonder if the askers are still working, if they're not envious of your life in retirement. Enjoy, I'm so happy work is out of my life in my golden years, wouldn't have it any other way, and worked hard to retire early too.

How do you answer the question "what do you do all day"?​

I've been asked that a few times
Usually it's someone close to retirement and a bit antsy about it

I usually answer;
All the things I never had time to do on the weekends of the last 40 years

They seem rather pleased with that

Then

They leave

and I take a nap

moi..thinking.jpg

No one ever asks me that. I would shut them down immediately.

I will say that when I was working I had lots of stories about my travels and my industry to share with my partner. He quit work for 5 years while I was busting my a**, but he was managing the household while we were remodeling and doing maintenance on our house. Now he is working and I am retired. The maintenance and remodeling are finished for the foreseeable future, so my day is spent doing mundane tasks.

When he first came home from work, he used to ask me "what did you do today?" Then it was "how was your day?" My day is always the same, so he doesn't even ask anymore. I am enjoying retirement, but I feel like the most boring person in the world. I feel almost guilty, although I know I shouldn't because I earned it.

I'm not retired yet but if asked that question I would imagine, as others have said. it would depend on the person asking and the intent. If it's someone just genuinely curious I'd give them a brief synopsis of how I spend my time. However, if it's someone being condescending I would be more inclined to tell them what I don't do all day. Wake up to an alarm clock, race around the house like mad and jump in the car to do the commute to work, spend large amounts of time a week somewhere I didn't really want to be with people who can very much tell me what to do all so that I can pay bills. All said with a very large smile.

Nobody who knows me asks me as they all know I love my art and crafts. How anyone can be bored staying home is beyond me. I don't have enough time in the day to do my drawing, painting, sewing, quilting, paper quilling, etc. I actually think of, will I get to complete all that I like to do hobbies wise, before I die. And if someone who doesn't know me wants to know, they would get the above answer.

My granddaughter said my husband and I are like 'Tumtum and Nutmeg'. It's a children's book. She said we were like the book because I'm always moving around cooking and doing things for them and my husband is always fixing things like the broken toys. šŸ˜
I guess we're sort of like that even when they're not here.

Since I was 15 yrs old and had a spinal tap I wake up every day with a headache and of course, I spend most of my day worrying about everything

Back