How is your day Today, plans and achievements 2024....

I just remembered to share this:
Our senior center had a Shred it Day.
I had a box of documents from work I needed to dispose of so I brought them.
It was a well run event. Cars lined up, then they took your box or bag and emptied it into a waste container. Someone else brought it to the two trucks in the parking lot and they shredded it.
I hope it is an annual or sooner event. I have a lot of old documents that need to go.
We have a shredder but not for large loads.
That sounds good. We have an annual shred day but it would be better for some of us if the community centers also had shred days. There are 3 community centers near me and if they each did it on a different month it would be so much easier getting the shredding done. I think I will share this idea with the manager of the center I go to most often.

Frustration is paralyzing me; or, the curse of having too much stuff accumulated in life.

For at least the tenth time, I am in the process of making a renewed effort to "downsize" my belongings. Each time I am getting rid of a little bit more. In retirement I have the time to do it. But if after my death I leave the job to my working family, they won't have the time, and it would be even more frustrating to them.

I thoroughly dislike doing it, and I always find good excuses for putting it off. But it has to be done. Last year I got rid of a three-foot stack of my college papers. It was heart breaking. I only kept the diplomas. Question: who will ever look at them? Should I also toss them? Sentimental value is the dilemma. Those pieces of paper are an important part of my life.

On the positive side: going through tons of paper stuff is like re-living my life. There are handwritten letters from my mother and my aunts who died a long time ago. Tears are coming into my eyes. Toss them? Not at this time; perhaps next time.

I gave away to Goodwill several bags of clothing, and they will get more. And then I have a box of colorful ties that I wore in the seventies. I still love them but will never again wear them. What shall I do with them? They are still dear to me but utterly useless.

We still have a 1986 Ford F-150 pick-up truck with a move-on camper. We took trips to Florida, New England, Canada, and Mexico when the price of gasoline was still 60 cents a gallon. The last trip, I think, was to Death Valley over Thanksgiving many years ago. Now totally useless. My excuse for keeping it is to have an emergency shelter when the expected and long overdue “Big” earthquake will hit us and damages our house.

Then we have a 12 x 24 foot shed crammed full with, for example, a box of computer games the kids played. And then there is another shed with all my gardening tools including, for example, an electric Bosch Hammer that enabled me doing many projects in the garden.

Bottom line: memories are paralyzing me of doing what needs to be done. Memories are sabotaging me.

Below are pictures of my stuffed full and overflowing walk-in closet, and some of my 1970's "hippie" ties that I wore to work.
IMGP3439.JPGIMGP3444.JPG

I will NEVER toss my birth certificate with a swastika as a seal (a poor copy) and my U.S. Naturalization Certificate of 1970.IMGP3454.JPG

Below is the large tool and storage shed behind our carport. Heaven knows why we ended up with 10 suitcases (only a few are visible below.) On our first 2-months family trip to Europe in 1990, we carried 6 suitcases and even a porta-potty for the VW Joker Camper we had booked in advance. Those were the "good old times" that are nowadays unthinkable. I mean a "porta-potty" on an airplane from Los Angeles to Brussels and back. BTW, when we flew 5 miles above Greenland, my then 8-year old daughter saw white polar bears on the white snow plateau below, and you better believe it, LOL.

Bottom right: our 12 x 24 ft storage shed which used to be our teenagers "party" hideout. In the center is our little chicken coop; and on the right is my daughter's car in storage. She is working in Mainland China and is visiting us at least twice a year. Los Angeles to Hong Kong is 14 hours non-stop which is the same flying time as to Sydney/Australia, while Los Angeles to Frankfurt/Germany is only 12 hours non-stop, flying over Winnipeg, Greenland, off-shore South of Iceland, and over Scotland.
IMGP3449.JPGIMGP3451.JPG

Last edited:
I can imagine what a daunting task it is for you.. but one little idea which I've found useful particularly with paper goods like letters, .. and also for things like your sentimental items that no-one else would be interested in, is to just photograph them and save them to an external Hard-drive.. then toss them or give them to Charity...

It means you'll always be able to look at them without them taking up space..

Last edited:
Wow @packleader! You've got a lot of stuff to go through. Slow and steady wins the race! I like @hollydolly's idea about photographing them for the memories.

I'm up. Did you already guess? LOL The first time I woke up it was only 3:15. Nope! Too early on a day off. Went back to sleep and got up at 5:30.

Now I'm getting ready to attack the day (and the weeds). If the lord's willing and the creeks don't rise, as we used to say in Texas, it'll be finished today.

I wonder if @hawkdon has any biscuits and sausage gravy leftover?

I have thought of that but I am not sure how to make that work. We have not had campers parked on our street for a while. I think the word has gotten out that this is not a friendly neighborhood. The gal two apartments down is a vet with PTS and she goes ballistic when a camper is parked in front of her apartment. Several neighbors complain about the drug dealing and if I could figure out the best way to videotape such activity I would.

I am not against homeless folk but I don't want druggies around. Hey, there are better things to think about, such as what a difference education could make. I figure until the bad things are bad enough, we won't pay attention to how we could manifest a better reality. When I think of what we could do, I feel so much love. I just wish I could spread this hope and love better.
You could get a ‘trail cam’ and set it up in your car. You’d have to ask how to use them, in the place you bought them or go on YouTube and look that up. I’m sorry you have to go through this.

Frustration is paralyzing me; or, the curse of having too much stuff accumulated in life.

For at least the tenth time, I am in the process of making a renewed effort to "downsize" my belongings. Each time I am getting rid of a little bit more. In retirement I have the time to do it. But if I leave after my death the job to my working family, they won't have the time, and it would be even more frustrating to them.

I thoroughly dislike doing it, and I always find good excuses for putting it off. But it has to be done. Last year I got rid of a three-foot stack of my college papers. It was heart breaking. I only kept the diplomas. Question: who will ever look at them? Should I also toss them? Sentimental value is the dilemma. Those pieces of paper are an important part of my life.

On the positive side: going through tons of paper stuff is like re-living my life. There are handwritten letters of my mother and my aunts who died a long time ago. Tears are coming into my eyes. Toss them? Not at this time; perhaps next time.

I gave away to Goodwill several bags of clothing, and they will get more. And then I have a box of colorful ties that I wore in the seventies. I still love them but will never again wear them. What shall I do with them? They are still dear to me but utterly useless.

We still have a 1986 Ford F-150 pick-up truck with a move-on camper. We took trips to Florida, New England, Canada, and Mexico when the price of gasoline was still 60 cents a gallon. The last trip, I think, was to Death Valley over Thanksgiving many years ago. Now totally useless. My excuse for keeping it is to have an emergency shelter when the expected and long overdue “Big” earthquake will hit us and damages our house.

Then we have a 12 x 24 foot shed crammed full with, for example, a box of computer games the kids played. And then there is another shed with all my gardening tools including, for example, an electric Bosch Hammer that enabled me doing many projects in the garden.

Bottom line: memories are paralyzing me of doing what needs to be done. Memories are sabotaging me.

Below are pictures of my stuffed full and overflowing walk-in closet, and some of my 1970's "hippie" ties that I wore to work.
View attachment 343187View attachment 343186

I will NEVER toss my birth certificate with a swastika as a seal (a poor copy) and my U.S. Naturalization Certificate of 1970.View attachment 343197

Below is the large tool and storage shed behind our carport. Heaven knows why we ended up with 10 suitcases (only a few are visible below.) On our first 2-months family trip to Europe in 1990, we carried 6 suitcases and even a porta-potty for the VW Joker Camper we had booked in advance. Those were the "good old times" that are nowadays unthinkable. I mean a "porta-potty" on an airplane from Los Angeles to Brussels and back. BTW, when we flew 5 miles above Greenland, my then 8-year old daughter saw white polar bears on the white ice plateau below, and you better believe it, LOL.

Bottom right: our 12 x 24 ft storage shed which used to be our teenagers "party" hideout. In the center is our little chicken coop; and on the right is my daughter's car in storage. She is working in Mainland China and is visiting us at least twice a year. Los Angeles to Hong Kong is 14 hours non-stop which is the same flying time as to Sydney/Australia, while Los Angeles to Frankfurt/Germany is only 12 hours non-stop, flying over Winnipeg, Greenland, off-shore South of Iceland, and over Scotland.
View attachment 343225View attachment 343224
Take pictures. I just took a picture of my high-school trophy then removed the name plaque. The trophy went to goodwill for the crafters to repurpose into some cool art piece.
Lay out your letters and such and takes pictures. Your children will be able to see them but not have to deal with them.
Make a picture scrapbook.

I can imagine what a daunting task it is for you.. but one little idea which I've found useful particularly with paper goods like letters, .. and also for things like your sentimental items that no-one else would be interested in, is to just photograph them and save them to an external Hard-drive.. then toss them or give them to Charity...

It means you'll always be able to look at them without them taking up space..
I should have read this before posting. 🙂
This is what people are doing now to keep the memories but not the clutter.

For at least the tenth time, I am in the process of making a renewed effort to "downsize" my belongings. Each time I am getting rid of a little bit more. In retirement I have the time to do it. But if I leave after my death the job to my working family, they won't have the time, and it would be even more frustrating to them.

On the positive side: going through tons of paper stuff is like re-living my life. There are handwritten letters of my mother and my aunts who died a long time ago. Tears are coming into my eyes. Toss them? Not at this time; perhaps next time.

View attachment 343187View attachment 343186

I will NEVER toss my birth certificate with a swastika as a seal (a poor copy) and my U.S. Naturalization Certificate of 1970.View attachment 343197

Below is the large tool and storage shed behind our carport. Heaven knows why we ended up with 10 suitcases (only a few are visible below.) On our first 2-months family trip to Europe in 1990, we carried 6 suitcases and even a porta-potty for the VW Joker Camper we had booked in advance. Those were the "good old times" that are nowadays unthinkable. I mean a "porta-potty" on an airplane from Los Angeles to Brussels and back. BTW, when we flew 5 miles above Greenland, my then 8-year old daughter saw white polar bears on the white ice plateau below, and you better believe it, LOL.

View attachment 343225View attachment 343224
I sympathize with you! I have similar issues. All of this "save stuff" has reached a point where it is actually affecting my mental health. I can't stand it!!! I get angry and/or depressed, mostly just frustrated!!!

I grew up in a frugal family of 'savers'. Not quite to the 'hoarder' stage, but not too far away, either. After all, you never know when you might need an item....best put it in the closet! 🙄

So my closets are full to the point where I can't find anything, and mostly don't even know what I have. I want to clean out, and get rid of everything, but.....

Good morning folks!

A sunny 64, slight breeze,,, just my kind of weather.
Mac & I have had a leisurely walk,lots of sniffing on his part.

So much I "need" to do in all my various flower beds,, could spend all day out side, if would stay in the 60s.
BUT household chores are calling to me.

@packleader,, Do you know anyone who makes quilts?
Neckties & T-shirts can be used to make quilts.

Sometimes people with dementia will go into someone else’s room and admire the clothes. It’s usually not done on purpose. Then there’s that issue of staff not paying attention to the labels. My mother was small, so not many could have worn hers.
Absolutely true that it's rarely done on purpose. But nevertheless, it happens frequently.

Not sure if DS is dealing with norovirus (perish the thought), food poisoning, or some other digestive system unpleasantry, but he's been under the weather with a vomit-diarrhea bug for several days. If we'd known that we wouldn't have picked up TGS on Saturday, but by the time we learned we were already exposed. Will definitely have a convo about that when he's feeling bettter.

DIL may or may not also have symptoms. She leans dramatic so we'll see how things play out. With their 6 week old, DS said he's forever spouting liquid from both ends so it's not easy to tell if he's sick. LOL but it also proves that DS, thank goodness, never experienced an infant going through a puke-diarrhea fest.

That's the bad news.

The good news we didn't return TGS yesterday morning. Don't want to pile work onto an ailing household, and hope to prevent him from possibly picking up some bug that he somehow hadn't caught during the previous 36 hours. So far he's perfectly fine, in a happy mood and has had a good appetite.

So DH & my plans are being rearranged a bit to accommodate him. If DS feels better this afternoon, their infant remains fine, and DIL doesn't show symptoms beyond "rumbly tummy" we'll presume this isn't contagious and return TGS today.

Not sure if DS is dealing with norovirus (perish the thought), food poisoning, or some other digestive system unpleasantry, but he's been under the weather with a vomit-diarrhea bug for several days. If we'd known that we wouldn't have picked up TGS on Saturday, but by the time we learned we were already exposed. Will definitely have a convo about that when he's feeling bettter.

DIL may or may not also have symptoms. She leans dramatic so we'll see how things play out. With their 6 week old, DS said he's forever spouting liquid from both ends so it's not easy to tell if he's sick. LOL but it also proves that DS, thank goodness, never experienced an infant going through a puke-diarrhea fest.

That's the bad news.

The good news we didn't return TGS yesterday morning. Don't want to pile work onto an ailing household, and hope to prevent him from possibly picking up some bug that he somehow hadn't caught during the previous 36 hours. So far he's perfectly fine, in a happy mood and has had a good appetite.

So DH & my plans are being rearranged a bit to accommodate him. If DS feels better this afternoon, their infant remains fine, and DIL doesn't show symptoms beyond "rumbly tummy" we'll presume this isn't contagious and return TGS today.
You probably hear this all the time ; you’re such a great mother, grandmother. Your nurturing abilities are outstanding. You are so caring and attentive to your family. They always come first for you. I hope you get spoiled silly on Mothers Day. You ‘really’ deserve it.

That was one of Bill Cosby's lines during his hilarious "Noah" bit. A funny, funny man. Whether he was always a good man is open to question, but he was indeed funny.
Thank you for correcting me. :D You know how it is? Words and names like to hide in the library of our brains. Of course, I meant Bill Cosby. :ROFLMAO:

However, today his comedy has a different meaning. We have some very dark clouds and the rain is pounding down. I am quite sure 40 days and nights of this rain would have us under water. :ROFLMAO:

My car is in the shop and the shop gave me a ride home. I am enjoying being all bundled up and watching my fake fire in a small, portable heater and watching the rain beat down outside while I enjoy this friendly conversation and drink a nice, hot cup of coffee.
You could get a ‘trail cam’ and set it up in your car. You’d have to ask how to use them, in the place you bought them or go on YouTube and look that up. I’m sorry you have to go through this.
Of course, look online. They are very inexpensive. I did not expect that. How about a barking dog motion sensor? Then the mischieve makers would know they are detected. However, if someone was just walking by in the middle of the night I don't want to be woken. Only if it is someone messing with my car do I want to be woken.

Thank you for correcting me. :D You know how it is? Words and names like to hide in the library of our brains. Of course, I meant Bill Cosby. :ROFLMAO:

However, today his comedy has a different meaning. We have some very dark clouds and the rain is pounding down. I am quite sure 40 days and nights of this rain would have us under water. :ROFLMAO:

My car is in the shop and the shop gave me a ride home. I am enjoying being all bundled up and watching my fake fire in a small, portable heater and watching the rain beat down outside while I enjoy this friendly conversation and drink a nice, hot cup of coffee.

Of course, look online. They are very inexpensive. I did not expect that. How about a barking dog motion sensor? Then the mischieve makers would know they are detected. However, if someone was just walking by in the middle of the night I don't want to be woken.
👍
Only if it is someone messing with my car do I want to be woken.
Staying safe and implementing safety precautions has its drawbacks. If getting a good night sleep is more important than getting your car vandalized, then don’t bother.

👍

Staying safe and implementing safety precautions has its drawbacks. If getting a good night sleep is more important than getting your car vandalized, then don’t bother.
Well, I am parking in the parking lot. But I am also thinking it might be worth the hassle to take security measures and park on the street. Everyone would like a saver neighborhood and win against the troublemakers.

Right now I am dealing with some pretty expensive car repairs and I don't want to think of spending money on other things. I am talking thousand-dollar repairs. I hope I am wrong about that.

Man, I wish I had the physical ability I once had and could take over doing my own car repairs.

Back