How many of these do you remember?

Not a single one of those got over to the UK as far as I'm aware so I don't remember any of those

However when I was a kid they did give free wine or water glasses with fuel, and little gifts of some type with soap powder.. I remember that... and yes I remember all the green shield stamps.. and the cigarette coupons ... MY parents saved the cigarette coupons, then when they had enough to buy something from the catalogue they would send me into the shop in the city to buy a kettle or an iron or whatever they had enough coupons for...

My mother was so possessed with collecting those golden wheat dishes that she used to hide the soap she bought from my father.

View attachment 94613

It seems like everything we had in those days came out of a box, gas station premiums, jelly glasses or the S&H green stamp store.
And don't forget all the little toys in cereal boxes. :)

I remember a few of them. My mom used Vel for dishes also. I remember Cheer detergent had a big cone inside that you used to make bubbles. The recipe for the bubble stuff was right on the package.
Glass Wax,a glass cleaning product for windows put out stencils. You were suppose to sponge them on and after the holidays just wipe away the glass Wax and have sparkling clean windows. They didn't say it caused a major dust storm and of course I stenciled every inch of glass on the windows including a couple of mirrors which was my own personal touch. That lasted only one season because it took my mom hours to clean up.

I remember Breeze detergent because of Dolly! She, along with Porter, hawked that striped towel in every box. She was my first exposure to freakishly enormous breasts, courtesy of ancient implants, that I knew nothing of, at my young age. All I knew was that I wanted, very badly, for her to stop by with one of those towels, no Porter Wagoner necessary!

Unfortunately, I remember all these products.
my favorite was Dolly Porter, with her then ax-handle, country accent
saying, 'You can't buy it at the store, it you can only get it in a box of Duz.' (a dish rag, if memory serves me correctly)
or whatever product they were hawking-they changed from time to time.
(see post above)
Oblivious she went to some type of elocution school.

Porter Wagoner gave her the big brake. She stayed with him out of loyalty when it was obvious she was far more talented the Wagoner.
I've followed her career, from a hilly billy redneck to a very rich business
woman. .

(As have many football players, you can't hawk a product if the audience has difficult understanding your utterances-these folks deserve a congratulations._

And don't forget all the little toys in cereal boxes. :)

There was a major fight at my house every time a new box of cereal was opened. "You got the prize last time!" "No I didn't! _________ got it!" " I NEVER get the prize!!! Waaaah! Mom, they won't let me have the prize!" Finally, my mother started confiscating the prizes.

Speaking of S&H Green Stamps.....several years ago, I was going through a trunk of my grandmother's stuff and found 57 books of them. Much to my surprise, they're still in business (though they're called Green Points now) and I was able to redeem them by mail for $2 a book. A nice little $114 check made its way to me, compliments of my grandma.

One of the canned milk companies, Pet or Carnation, had a catalog you could order from using can labels. Since there was always a baby in the house and my mother made the formula from scratch (some concoction of canned condensed milk, Karo Syrup and whatonlyknows else, we had a lot of can labels. I can remember getting a pretty little red purse from the catalog when I was maybe 6 or 7.

Banks gave out silverware, toasters, etc. with new accounts. Most of our glasses came from the filling station or came with jelly in them. Juice glasses were dried beef jars. Dishtowels came out of laundry soap boxes.

And Cracker Jack! What wonderful little doo-dads came in the Cracker Jack box! Unfortunately, we usually had to share the box and that would start the fighting up again. "You got the prize last time!" "No, I didn't!" ad nauseum.

There were also plaid stamps- can't recall the name.

When I was a child, and also when my kids were young, we never had arguments about who gets prizes from cereal boxes because the older kids weren't really interested.
il_fullxfull.657966076_i6iq.jpg
$_3.JPG

Speaking of Cracker Jack: I can remember when the prizes were actually pretty cool. I remember little plastic cars, spinning tops, pendants, whistles, other interesting things. Somewhere along the line, as I hit my teens, the prizes became garbage! They were pieces of paper with puzzles, jokes,......crap! Had a box within the last year, or so..... a damn digital code to watch clips on an app! What!?

As a young teen, looking at the crappy paper "prizes," I had a moment of clarity that effected me and my investment strategies, later in life: Companies don't really give a f#$k about their customers, for the most part! It's only the bottom line that matters, usually, and conning people into spending their money on your junk is where it's at. Sorry stuff, what?

Back