How to decorate a 350 sq ft apartment?

Piggybacking on what @HoneyNut suggested, not only does getting smaller furniture help, getting pieces that serve more than one function does too. I suggest you take a look at several tiny home videos on YouTube; they tend to feature excellent ideas on making the best use of space. There are also ones for 300 to 400 Sq Ft apartments. I viewed a couple but they weren't helpful and one was really junky. YT also has videos about even smaller spaces. Any one of them might give you ideas. This one is for a lovely tiny home.

Hope this helps. Best of blessings with your move. :) @katlupe This tiny house has bunny decor elements.
I have gotten a lot of ideas from the tiny homes.

I have one in my apartment now ... like this picture ..it's 3.5 cu. ft. ... takes up very little room, and I keep an artificial plant sitting on top for decoration. It sits on the back side of my kitchen counter out of the kitchen (sorta hallway area)
I think it looks great and it's so useful, and holds a lot of frozen food.

iu
That does look very good to me too. :)
The one that I had for years, was similar to this one, but had a front door instead of top, which I found easier to use for myself.

I just browsed Amazon's page and found several different types of mirrors.

https://www.amazon.com/Large-Wall-Mirrors/s?k=Large+Wall+Mirrors
I agree that really any type of wall mirror, does help small rooms!
I have seen medium sized to very large wall mirrors, that transformed the room, in positive ways.
There are many sizes and shapes to choose from, and some are lighter weight and easier to handle and to hang, than others. It doesn't need to be the heaviest, and it could be a very simple minimal frame, and would still make a difference.

Last edited:
All utilities are included in your hotel so that’s a good deal! Where would you settle to if you decided to get a place?
Not just utilities included, also any maintenance is included, as well as clean towels and every two weeks get room cleaning + the bedding changed (if want to change more often can request bedding from the desk and do it myself). I really enjoy the maintenance aspect, when I had my house if anything didn't work I had to do it myself or hire someone, but here once I couldn't get the window closed and they came up and closed it for me, and in Ohio the lever inside the toilet tank broke and maintenance arrived within a half hour and fixed it. They won't give a lot of free soap and shampoo though, only one or two little ones every two weeks when they clean (maybe they would give soap if I asked, but not the shampoo - but I use my own soap). I think they supply toilet paper anytime (I've seen it stacked up on the desk whenever the person is away), but I prefer the softer brand from the store. They also supply the trash bags for the kitchen and bathroom trash. And the wifi is free but there is an extra charge if you want better wifi. In Chicago the hotel wifi wasn't good enough for me to play the Planet Zoo game without a lot of pauses, but in both Ohio and here in New York the free wifi is adequate to play.

I don't know where I will settle, I wonder that too!

These little hotel kitchens have made me realize that the kitchen arrangement will be very important when I eventually settle down. I think I would rather have a dishwasher than an oven, and all the cabinets need to be reachable by my short self. And I need plenty of counter space. In the hotel they don't have ovens but they have built in two-burner stoves and I find them a complete waste of limited counter space, I'd rather have a plug-in type burner and a little toaster oven maybe. Also every hotel has had the microwave up over the kitchen vent fan where it is really hard for me to reach. I hope that I will have some control over the kitchen arrangement when I settle down, perhaps a condo will be best if I don't find a perfect apartment.

Do you know what layout your kitchen has? Do you have a floorplan?

Not just utilities included, also any maintenance is included, as well as clean towels and every two weeks get room cleaning + the bedding changed (if want to change more often can request bedding from the desk and do it myself). I really enjoy the maintenance aspect, when I had my house if anything didn't work I had to do it myself or hire someone, but here once I couldn't get the window closed and they came up and closed it for me, and in Ohio the lever inside the toilet tank broke and maintenance arrived within a half hour and fixed it. They won't give a lot of free soap and shampoo though, only one or two little ones every two weeks when they clean (maybe they would give soap if I asked, but not the shampoo - but I use my own soap). I think they supply toilet paper anytime (I've seen it stacked up on the desk whenever the person is away), but I prefer the softer brand from the store. They also supply the trash bags for the kitchen and bathroom trash. And the wifi is free but there is an extra charge if you want better wifi. In Chicago the hotel wifi wasn't good enough for me to play the Planet Zoo game without a lot of pauses, but in both Ohio and here in New York the free wifi is adequate to play.

These little hotel kitchens have made me realize that the kitchen arrangement will be very important when I eventually settle down. I think I would rather have a dishwasher than an oven, and all the cabinets need to be reachable by my short self. And I need plenty of counter space. In the hotel they don't have ovens but they have built in two-burner stoves and I find them a complete waste of limited counter space, I'd rather have a plug-in type burner and a little toaster oven maybe. Also every hotel has had the microwave up over the kitchen vent fan where it is really hard for me to reach. I hope that I will have some control over the kitchen arrangement when I settle down, perhaps a condo will be best if I don't find a perfect apartment.

Your place sounds wonderful!!! How much do you pay again? I do have a floor plan but it may not be the right dimensions. I’ll figure it out later.

My kitchen seems a lot like your unfortunately
Due to his arthritis and back issues, Rick could not sleep comfortably in a bed. He bought a Catnapper chair and used it for the final 3 years of his life. He loved it.

Perfect Sleep Chair® – Journey Health & Lifestyle (shopjourney.com)
Oh Marie, Thank you so much for sharing how much Rick enjoyed his Catnapper chair. I know of several people who have trouble sleeping in a bed. That looks incredibly comfortable. 🥰

My kitchen seems a lot like your unfortunately

Oh Marie, Thank you so much for sharing how much Rick enjoyed his Catnapper chair. I know of several people who have trouble sleeping in a bed. That looks incredibly comfortable. 🥰
Sure...and Rick was a big guy..over 6 ft and over 300 lbs. Check your local furniture stores. That is where we got outs

A lot of great ideas and suggestions.
Have a floor plan with measurements of my future 1 bedroom suite, which is great to work on before I get there, and to know what will fit where.
One thing I’ve never had a liking for are mirrors…..Yes, they’re magic workers to make a place look bigger…..but I just don’t like them….never have…..have one in the bathroom, and that’s all.

If GaryO had not shown me his 200 sq foot home, I would be afraid. I just saw what I think is my unit and whoa Nelly! It’s tiny! But I will make it work, God’s willing. Even the closet is small. The bathroom is extremely tiny. But there is a tub. It’s in a prime area so that is nice. And there is a courtyard. I will be encouraged to go outside every day. I rented the apt online so did not visit. It was the cheapest one in this building in a lovely area that I am familiar with so I saw the opportunity and grabbed it. Signed lease online as well! They did a criminal background check, an apartment history check, and a credit check! And since I am a senior citizen, they aren’t allowed to go up on the rent but 2% annually for now. The social security increase seniors are supposed to get should cover it. But seeing the similar unit online, I know now that I have not downsized enough. I’ll plan on switching my queen bed for a double with space for storage will be important. I’ll plan on using a small corner desk. There is a bar counter for meals-I prefer a table but I’ll settle and get 2 thickly padded white bar stools with no backs. A mirror may be important. A recliner is important to me. By getting the double bed, I’ll have room for the recliner. A tall corner shelf. A rug and I guess that is it. What have I done! 😂

A lot of great ideas and suggestions.
Have a floor plan with measurements of my future 1 bedroom suite, which is great to work on before I get there, and to know what will fit where.
One thing I’ve never had a liking for are mirrors…..Yes, they’re magic workers to make a place look bigger…..but I just don’t like them….never have…..have one in the bathroom, and that’s all.
Interesting take on mirrors! I’m wondering if I too am not interested so much in mirrors because I’ve never owned one that wasn’t attached to the bathroom wall! But they do tend to add depth visually!

I agree that really any type of wall mirror, does help small rooms!
I have seen medium sized to very large wall mirrors, that transformed the room, in positive ways.
There are many sizes and shapes to choose from, and some are lighter weight and easier to handle and to hang, than others. It doesn't need to be the heaviest, and it could be a very simple minimal frame, and would still make a difference.
Wonder if there are extra light ones?

Back