How's This For Nostalgia?

View attachment 166534

Who, as a child, heard your mother say, "make sure you're underwear is clean in case you're in accident?"
Talking of accident, these two look like the archetypal kind of mothers that handed out the clean underwear advice.
I bet they never envisaged accidentally showing the world their clean underwear.
My mom repeated the words, "never leave the house without clean underpants on". It never truly registered with me... went in one ear and straight out the other, and considering my age, I'm sure my mom knew deep inside that her words more likely than not failed to resonate inside me, but I've never forgotten them.

Back in 2019, we were at a dance inspired weekend in the Devon town of Torquay. We were there with some friends, on the Saturday morning we travelled to Paignton, where we caught the steam hauled train, on the heritage railway, to Kingswear.

When constructed the line was to be built to Dartmouth, but Dartmouth is on the opposite bank of the river Dart. The idea being to run the track along, or close to, the north side of the river, the south side was inaccessible, when the line reached Kingswear it would cross the river Dart by bridge. A terminus station was built at Dartmouth in preparation.

But the railway company had not foreseen the might of Victorian Britain's Royal Navy, who insisted on a bridge being a hundred feet high so that the masts of the navy's ships could pass underneath, unhindered. The river Dart was one of many of the navy's home ports.

A one hundred feet high bridge would have meant an almost doubling of the whole line's construction costs. So the train ran to Kingswear and a paddle steamer took passengers across the river to Dartmouth station. This quirk in history, (Dartmouth station has never had a railtrack,) we just had to see. If you are fascinated by it you can read a more detailed account on Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dartmouth_Steam_Railway

Here you see us at Kingswear Station being photobombed by Hercules, our wonderful iron horse for the journey.View attachment 163161
Your shoes look so elegant

My mom repeated the words, "never leave the house without clean underpants on". It never truly registered with me... went in one ear and straight out the other, and considering my age, I'm sure my mom knew deep inside that her words more likely than not failed to resonate inside me, but I've never forgotten them.
For me it was, make sure you have clean nickers on.

For me it was, make sure you have clean nickers on.
One of my boys (when young) would bath, then put on his old worn underpants again. His sly practice slipped by me only a couple of times before I wizened up to it and brought the boom down.

I'd bath the little stinker (in his 4's), dry him off, then send him to his room to get clean underpants out from his dresser to put on, and instead, the minute I exited the bathroom, he'd dip into the pile of old clothes I had removed from him before his bath, still laying on the bathroom floor, and he'd climb back into his old underpants again.

With the baby of the family, his younger brother still in didies, on bath-night, after I had the older one stripped and in the tub, into the plastic diaper pail the older ones underpants would go. That put an abrupt end to re-wearing dirty underpants in our house.

One of my favorite memories from the past was going to the Soda Shop around the corner from where I grew up. My 2 friends and a boy I was dating would go every night. He would always play "Barbara" by the Temptations because he liked me and Barbara is my name. One might my friend sprayed him in the face with her Hairspray, but he still played it over and over again.

Jukebox-Juntion-Feature.jpg

Your shoes look so elegant
What a lovely kind comment. My shoes are a tad on the colourful side, always on the search for original styled shoes I came across this photo from the 1920's:
SJC-shoes.jpg
Ooh-la-la, look at his shoes. Out came my phone, one call later and their replication is in progress. Some weeks later and a package arrives:
SJC-Lindy.jpg
Do you think that they look new, or original?
shoe-7.jpg

What a lovely kind comment. My shoes are a tad on the colourful side, always on the search for original styled shoes I came across this photo from the 1920's:
View attachment 166903
Ooh-la-la, look at his shoes. Out came my phone, one call later and their replication is in progress. Some weeks later and a package arrives:
View attachment 166904
Do you think that they look new, or original?
View attachment 166905
Classically original! :love:

Back