I am back to walking for exercise.

Walking is great for you! Keep doing it. I walk whenever I can, even it is just parking my car in one of the spots furthest away from the store. (y) Since you are in Texas you probably have more days with weather that is conducive to walking than many other areas of the country. We are lucky!

I am a true believer in walking. We let the iPhone count the steps, but try to get in a mile a day. We've also got stairs in the house which I believe are an asset. As I reported in another post, a doctor once told me that when I got older I might fall on those stairs and break a hip, but without the stairs I might not get old enough to break the hip. (-8

I walk 5 days/week. During the winter I walk the hallways of my apartment building which is 4 floors and the hallways are long. I use the stairs and very seldom use the elevators. I miss walking outside but hey, I live in the middle of Canada so that is expected during the dead of winter. There are so many other seniors here that are barely moving. Most seem to be using walkers to get around. I don't want to be judgemental but I have a feeling that these folks did not walk when they were younger and now are in a pretty bad situation when it comes to locomotion. Walking is great preventive medicine. I am a strong believer in the "use it or lose it" theory to health care. Sitting around all day and "enjoying" the sedentary life style just leads you to diabetes and other health problems.

I am back to tracking my steps a day. Trying to get at least 5000 steps a day. Just wondering around in Wal Mart can get 2000 in. lol lol. Exercise and eating right does help my health. Got to drink plenty of water too. That is harder for me to do.
Since I moved to the retirement community in March with my dog, I have been averaging about 2.7 miles (6000-65000 steps per day), even in the cold weather.

I miss hiking/walking I broke my left in the 4th. It didn't bother me until 2015 when I worked at drug/alcohol rehab facility. I had to stand in place for long periods of time overseeing medication passes. I get acupuncture once a week, still hurts

That's great...good for you. Walking is one of the best exercises. I need to do the same. My pedometer app says I should get 6,000 steps a day. I usually don't get nearly that much. I haven't been good at using it around the house.
My iPhone does this for me and on a typical day I get about 8500 steps plus 5 to 7 flights of stairs. Part of my daily walk includes hills and I believe that is the most beneficial part. Like you, I have also come to understand that walking is about the best exercise for me as I approach 80 later this year.

I have a neighbor who is Hispanic, doesn't speak much English though he understands it when spoken to, and is over 90 years young. Usually, only his son and maybe one neighbor visit him. Occasionally he goes downstairs to the building's lobby and chats with a neighbor or two. That's all the company he usually needs. He takes daily walks - even in the extreme cold that we have here in Minnesota. I've seen him put on his coat and take walks late at night. Through the hottest summers, the coldest winters, even through the Plague & nothing stops him. Like Old Man River, he just keeps moving along.

My 69 year old knees & eyesight have both improved (especially my eyesight).
I heard about "Bromelain" - an enzyme in pineapple that (over time) helps dissolve those floaters some of us get in our eyes as we age. The same enzyme also helps arthritis. I've been having some pineapple for breakfast for the past year. I now see floaters only when I try hard to see them. Previously, a computer screen really brought them out.
Scoff all ya want, but I had an eye exam recently & the optometrist said, "Well, your last eye exam was 3 years ago & your eyesight was just "OK," but now it's 20/15 which is better than perfect."

My 69 year old knees & eyesight have both improved (especially my eyesight).
I heard about "Bromelain" - an enzyme in pineapple that (over time) helps dissolve those floaters some of us get in our eyes as we age. The same enzyme also helps arthritis. I've been having some pineapple for breakfast for the past year. I now see floaters only when I try hard to see them. Previously, a computer screen really brought them out.
Scoff all ya want, but I had an eye exam recently & the optometrist said, "Well, your last eye exam was 3 years ago & your eyesight was just "OK," but now it's 20/15 which is better than perfect."
I'll try it. It can't hurt. It's available in canned form.

I am a true believer in walking. We let the iPhone count the steps, but try to get in a mile a day. We've also got stairs in the house which I believe are an asset. As I reported in another post, a doctor once told me that when I got older I might fall on those stairs and break a hip, but without the stairs I might not get old enough to break the hip. (-8

Just curious, how many steps are in a mile?

I am doing it too. When it is cold outside, I walk the halls of my apartment building. Last month, over a couple days, I walked all 6 floors looking at Christmas decorations.
Since many people have things on their doors during the year, there is a lot to see. During nicer weather I often walk the outside perimeter of the building, using walking with friends who are walking their dogs

I am bummed because there used to be a movie theater down the block, but they closed during the early pandemic, and will not reopen. Would not have minded walking there to see a movie.

Just curious, how many steps are in a mile?
Average is 2000. I guess that is considering the average stride of a person. As for walking we walk 5 days a week except if it's raining. I walk 3 miles a day my wife walks about 1/2 mile more. These 34 degree cold mornings aren't fun but then the 93 degree mornings at 6 a/m aren't fun either

Back