I am STUCK in 1969! :)

In 1969 I was 15/16 and in10th grade. Just trying to make it thru high school.

I'm more of 'stuck in the 80s' kind of girl. The clothes (some still in my closet), the music, the boyfriends, dancing, drinking.......so full of memories, that I don't want to forget!

I like to say..."The 80s were good to me"
i was in high school in the 80s. i enjoyed the music. high school was horrible.

One aspect of the hippie sayings that I got a chuckle of back then and even more now...never trust anyone over 30. Have these people conveniently forgotten that or if not, how do they address it now that they are well over 30? :ROFLMAO:

Tony
As I got older I started saying, "Don't trust anyone under 30." Now, it seems . . . "Don't trust anyone under (pick the generation).

I was dating my hubby to be in 1969. I had a good job and knew my life was about to change. We put the cart before the horse and bought our first house about 6 months before we got married. We spent every moment we could fixing up our new home and married in 1972.
We were so busy with our new home we didn't have time for anything else.
My son was born in 1976 and my daughter a year later.

I grew up in Silicon Valley, and was 17. I started playing guitar at 13 and formed a band at 14. A band called "Suspended Animation" ( we got the name flipping through a dictionary and no idea what it meant ). My Mother loved listening to the radio. I started playing trumpet at 8. Music was important in flooding our house with the "times". I was so passionate about music I stole a "Monkeys" record with my brother and got threatened with juvy hall. :) So right after the Beatles revolution, my mother died. It changed me deeply. I became a lost (my father started drinking again, he was an alcoholic) and began my search for the meaning of life. By 1969 the hippie movement was everywhere and a powerful social force. I got caught up in it. Smoking weed, hash, and opium ( just once ), then onto LSD, Mushrooms, and Peyote. We hitchhiked everywhere and would camp with hippies in Big Sur. The colors and psychedelic artwork, and music was creating an alternate universe for about a year, 1969. That period has had the most powerful effect on my life ever since. I don't think that any major decisions I have made since then didn't have values I was overwhelmed with during that magical time.
Did anyone else experiment with "unconventional" behavior in 1969?
Frankly, I see nothing wrong with your approach to life. I have spoken to many people who feel as you do. There are clubs online where perfectly normal people enjoy discussing that period in history and what it meant to them, and

how it still impacts their lives today. . Why should a person live in the present more than is comfortable for them? If one‘s obligations are met, then enjoy your golden years. If others don’t understand or agree with your perspective, that is ok too. Now where is the bong? I brought special brownies. 😁

I was 12 years old in 1969 and did not get into those things till the following year. I had the bellbottoms, peace sign tee shirts, tried much pot, LSD, you name it-I tried it and had mostly good experiences with them but did not get addicted to any of it. Tried it out tho. I could go for some weed about now tho--Shali- oh @Shalimar where is the weed and bong? :unsure:(y)

I was 12 years old in 1969 and did not get into those things till the following year. I had the bellbottoms, peace sign tee shirts, tried much pot, LSD, you name it-I tried it and had mostly good experiences with them but did not get addicted to any of it. Tried it out tho. I could go for some weed about now tho--Shali- oh @Shalimar where is the weed and bong? :unsure:(y)
Look on your coffee table Ruth, right next to the brownies. 😁🤸‍♀️🤸‍♀️

Once I was old enough, I tried almost everything. Booze, drugs, Men. 😁
I spent a glorious year with identical twin Danes. Lived in a commune. Back to the land. Sigh. I still practice

transcendental meditation. Sometimes I teach it. I was too young for Woodstock etc, but I made up for it later. Also, Activism, not all of it legal. No apologies, I followed my conscience. Still do. Don’t think I have ever had a truly mainstream moment in my life, but that works for me.

Last edited:
I struggle with trust also. This has been a challenging few months, and somewhat of an eye opener. But hey, I am resilient. 🧜‍♀️
The way I see it is everyone is unique. They have their own way to survive the complexities in life. They way they go about surviving is different than anyone else. People don't have the awareness to be able to uncover and reveal the dynamics they applied to their survival adaptations. Even the closest person you think you know, is not the person you imagine them to be. That takes faith, fantasy thinking we make up to believe they can be trusted. Under the most rigorous training that organizations use to build cohesive trust, we all here the "news" that every one of them has a fly in their soup. Every one of them.

The way I see it is everyone is unique. They have their own way to survive the complexities in life. They way they go about surviving is different than anyone else. People don't have the awareness to be able to uncover and reveal the dynamics they applied to their survival adaptations. Even the closest person you think you know, is not the person you imagine them to be. That takes faith, fantasy thinking we make up to believe they can be trusted. Under the most rigorous training that organizations use to build cohesive trust, we all here the "news" that every one of them has a fly in their soup. Every one of them.
I have lived much of my life on the edge, not always by choice. I know what evil is in many forms. I will always be partially broken. Yet, in spite of it all, I also know there are people I can trust. This small feral person considers these

souls to be precious beyond compare, they are the jewels which provide balance when the dragons I keep in boxes want to come out to play. They remind me what love is, what friendship is, what is worth striving for, that humanity is worth the heartbreak, and that purpose can defeat pain and fear, again and again and again. 💗 🙏🏻

I grew up in Silicon Valley, and was 17. I started playing guitar at 13 and formed a band at 14. A band called "Suspended Animation" ( we got the name flipping through a dictionary and no idea what it meant ). My Mother loved listening to the radio. I started playing trumpet at 8. Music was important in flooding our house with the "times". I was so passionate about music I stole a "Monkeys" record with my brother and got threatened with juvy hall. :) So right after the Beatles revolution, my mother died. It changed me deeply. I became a lost (my father started drinking again, he was an alcoholic) and began my search for the meaning of life. By 1969 the hippie movement was everywhere and a powerful social force. I got caught up in it. Smoking weed, hash, and opium ( just once ), then onto LSD, Mushrooms, and Peyote. We hitchhiked everywhere and would camp with hippies in Big Sur. The colors and psychedelic artwork, and music was creating an alternate universe for about a year, 1969. That period has had the most powerful effect on my life ever since. I don't think that any major decisions I have made since then didn't have values I was overwhelmed with during that magical time.
Did anyone else experiment with "unconventional" behavior in 1969?
I’m still experimenting with unconventional behaviour 🥳 but in 1969, I was only 9 however I did sport the loud bell bottom type pants, the bright, colourful paper flowers and peace signs. Smoking pot, doing acid, shrooms, peyote while hitch hiking and driving my motorcycle across the country came years later. Everything in those days was spontaneous. I just went with the flow and loved every minute of it however I didn’t play trumpet @ 8. I played saxophone at 13 and still do. At 8, I was learning how to play piano and read music. The ‘60’s and ‘70’s were great years though. The music was fabulous, the freedom ... wonderful .... friends .... 🥰 .... yep! ☮️

Once I was old enough, I tried almost everything. Booze, drugs, Men. 😁
I spent a glorious year with identical twin Danes. Lived in a commune. Back to the land. Sigh. I still practice

transcendental meditation. Sometimes I teach it. I was too young for Woodstock etc, but I made up for it later. Also, Activism, not all of it legal. No apologies, I followed my conscience. Still do. Don’t think I have ever had a truly mainstream moment in my life, but that works for me.
Too young for Woodstock but made up for it later? LMAO!!!! 🤣😂.... that’s funny.
Never had a mainstream moment in your life?
Hahaha. Sounds like mine! 😎lol

Part of surviving in this world requires that we do have people we can trust, even if we are different. I have many friends, in fact a handful of them I would do about anything for, and them for me. We say we love them. Love is an inadequate word for our bonds with our close friends. The Greeks had a word for that bond. It was/is "Phila":

"
Not all bonds of philia involves reciprocity Aristotle notes. Some examples of these might include love of father to son, elder to younger or ruler to subject. Generally though, the bonds of philia are symmetrical.[4]

If philia is a type of love, Thomas Jay Oord has argued that it must be defined so as not to contradict love. Oord defines philia as an intentional response to promote well-being when cooperating with or befriending others. And his philia is not only that meaning. The philia also gives humans authentic friendship.[5]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philia

I have always found a handful of friends. "no human is an island." :)

As I got older I started saying, "Don't trust anyone under 30." Now, it seems . . . "Don't trust anyone under (pick the generation).
There are people I have trusted at various points in my life. As is always the case in this forum, I try to make clear that I don't know what I don't know, so I can only address my own situation.

Tony

Back