I got caught today without meaning to (braless)

According to Wikipedia, Mary Phelps Dodge (aka Caresse Crosby) received the first patent for a bra, the "backless brassiere," in 1914. She was the one who, with her maid's help, sewed the two handkerchiefs together.

But also according to Wikipedia, Christine Hardt patented the first "modern" brassiere, in 1889.

But Wikipedia also says that bras are not anatomically required for support, so take those other two statements for whatever you think they're worth!

No mention is made of whether the "manufacturers" who developed different types and styles of bras were women or men, so who knows who tweaked the basic bra over the years?

I usually don't wear one at home and am often in a nite shirt or pjs at home. I don't go out a lot. I don't like bras either. I am just self conscious when going out if I'm not wearing one. Who really cares though.

I always wear a bra, just feels better, and am only just on the medium size in the chest dept.Clothes look better on you as well, although it shouldn't be too difficult to design a comfortable and a supportive bra ( it is though, as there aren't any!)The comfy ones are the 'one bra' soft pull on types, but they don't look good with everything.Avon make a nice one with lace on.

At some point in time when I’m so old I won’t care but I’m not quite there yet. The only time I walk around my house without a bra on, is either early in the morning before I’ve bathed or at night after I’ve bathed since I’d be in my pyjamas. Going braless feels so unnatural to me.

I wish i could fit into some of those pretty sports type bras to wear around the house on a hot summer day. Yesterday was one of those days.

With this new forum change, it allows me to see past threads and this one caught my eye this morning.

I wouldn't worry about being in your Pj's I see people in the shops in their PJ's ...I really think that's a little weird going shopping in your PJ's and the women I seen the Pj's looked like they'd been slept in for 6 months :eek::eek:
I could never understand this type of mentality.
I'm in the minority here. I love lacy bras and panties even if no one sees them but me :D
Me too. :)
I'm in the minority, too. I'd be too cold in the winter time. Even in the south. It just doesn't feel right without. :confused:

Anyone remember the pencil test? In the 60's?
Yes and yes. Another good reason for wearing a bra.lol

I wear a bralet
victorias-secret-pink-lace-bralette-profile.jpg
its great when I do yoga and just mucking about the house, super comfy..
Like these cute pretty things. I’d love to be able to wear something like this but no can do.

Hmmm here almost a month, and just finding this thread....

There is a club?

51-zpYESZeL.jpg

families-bra-dressing_up-kids-family_life-childhoods-lcan660_low.jpg

There is even a National day for No bra's... Learning so much, will hav to share with Lorie....

th

funny-sports-gifs-6.gif
Even young men enjoy...

And this explains everything... Now I know where the word Boob came from...

The-invention-of-the-word-Boob.jpg

Thanks for resurrecting this thread, Keesha! What fun! :lol:

I hate bras. Other than when I was pregnant/nursing my children, I was a 34A my whole life. Perfect size in my opinion, could go braless without being self-conscious. Then along came menopause and the extra 10 pounds I can't lose of the 40 pounds of menopause weight I originally gained, and BAM! Now I'm a 36C and HAVE to wear a bra. I think all that extra weight is in my boobs!!

First thing I do at night when I get home from work is rip off the bra. Ron calls it my Houdini trick, where I unhook my bra from and take it off all from under my shirt! I wear PJ's around the house till bedtime....I call them my touch-me-nowhere clothes! At least I do all that if there's no one around but Ron. Sometimes I'll wear a dark tee shirt and no bra if other family are around, because that makes the "unfettering' a lot less noticeable lol!

No bra for me, until it's time to go out. At home, I wear a loose dress-style nightie (like an extra long tee-shirt). Of course, I put on a bra and get dressed when company comes!

In Vienna, Austria, where I was born, there is a fascination with death and a "beautiful corpse". Somehow in my subconscious I picked up on that, and therefore even at home, I like to look my best just in case I collapse and need to be carried away. It would be embarrassing to not be wearing a bra, just the same as messy hair, no makeup and pj's . I don't even own pj's. I just like to look nice.:yeah:

I hate Bras. The person who invented them should have been shot. I wear them only when company comes or when I go out,even then I try to get by with one of those over the head sports bras. The one in the photo shows another type I wear when I absolutely have to. It is a bit more comfortable because the bottom part is long enough so it can be tucked in my pants,not clingy, and helps keep the bra band from rolling and the straps look like the real thing.

Another peeve I have is that once you find one you think you can at least live with,you can't find them anymore. Kohl's always has a buy one get one or half off the second one. I don't need a slew of them. I'l always hoping my bra will outlive me. I already told my daughter not to bury me with one on or I'll haunt her for the rest of her life. Bra (800x600).jpg

In Vienna, Austria, where I was born, there is a fascination with death and a "beautiful corpse". Somehow in my subconscious I picked up on that, and therefore even at home, I like to look my best just in case I collapse and need to be carried away. It would be embarrassing to not be wearing a bra, just the same as messy hair, no makeup and pj's . I don't even own pj's. I just like to look nice.:yeah:

Do you mean like "help me I can't get up!" and the paramedics come to pick you up??

Last year I started buying colorful pull over the head bras. They are sort of like a sports bra. A couple weeks ago it was so hot outside I pulled my shirt off and just wore the bra which my husband thought was acceptable and I doubt any of the neighbors noticed. When it hits 90 most of them stay indoors. We were just sitting on the porch. And to address the OPs question or statement ---- I have been caught braless a few times but I just went in and changed when I got the chance. No one seems to notice.

Last year I started buying colorful pull over the head bras. They are sort of like a sports bra. A couple weeks ago it was so hot outside I pulled my shirt off and just wore the bra which my husband thought was acceptable and I doubt any of the neighbors noticed. When it hits 90 most of them stay indoors. We were just sitting on the porch. And to address the OPs question or statement ---- I have been caught braless a few times but I just went in and changed when I got the chance. No one seems to notice.
I wear those pull on Bras now too @Linda ..so much more comfortable than 'wire'.. especially for us bigger girls..and yes I've worn them in the garden like a bikini top.. because they're so colourful, they don't look like underwear!!

Well, after all of these years, I caught today. For many decades, I have quit wearing a bra at home unless I have visitors coming. Today, my daughter was supposed to drop off something that she had purchased for me so I was sitting around here without my bra waiting for her. The doorbell rings and I thought it was my daughter but it's my son-in-law instead of her and of course I didn't have time to jerk one on. I went ahead and let him in but walked very softly. My shirt was loose fitting so between that and the fact of how old and saggy they are, hopefully, he didn't even notice. Have you ever got caught with something similar? :)

Yes I have , I got caught one day with my bra on to my daughters pleasant surprise. I seldom wear them they are very uncomfortable.

Back