I like watching Forensic/true crime shows. Do you?

I think there are more women who watch that stuff... Lorie loves those kinds of shows, and anytime she is watching TV by herself, that is what is on... Nothing wrong with it, but I prefer something on a happier note...

I am getting way to involved in the Investigative Discovery channel. LOL. I can watch it for hours. Wonder what that says about my personality.

@Trade I have had others suggest Mindhunter. Guess I will have to ad it to my list of things to watch. If I can stay off ID channel long enough. LOL

Unintentionally, I have appeared on a few of those shows. I got a call from Nancy Grace one evening when I was part of the Extraction Team that was assembled during the Amish schoolgirls’ Killings. I asked her how she got my number. She said that my Commander gave it to her.

I spoke with her, but refused to give her an on air interview. That wasn’t my job. We have press people that handles those duties.

I watch Joe Kenda, the cop from Colorado Springs. I read some of his investigation tactics before he was on ID. He is definitely a real sleuth.

Forensic Files is also good. DNA has been a real game changer in solving crimes. In fact, DNA has been the biggest difference with solving crimes since the fingerprint examiner.

Can you imagine solving a murder with a single thread found in a bed or on a car seat? It has happened. Even the new “touch DNA” that is now being used has been another crime solving technique. Just imagine, leaving behind a single skin cell at the scene of a crime may lead to the capture of a criminal. I have seen lab techs take a single skin cell, clone it to create additional like cells and then take that sample, run it through CODIS and get a hit.

@911 Thanks for your input. I like your stories, as well. what you say in the thread above this one, is why I like those shows. Just to see what goes into solving a crime. I am amazed.. Nancy Grace, huh? She seems a bit intense. But I kind of like her.

Nancy was very congenial and said that she understood my not wanting to appear on her show. For any PA Trooper to be on a TV show, we have to go through channels and the chain of command for approval. Like I wrote earlier, this is why we have media people that handles these things. I know that they are very cooperative with the various TV shows.

I had heard on one of these shows, that they are trying to legislate getting a DNA profile from convicted criminals, just to have it in data base. If the person is not convicted, can they take it and put it in a data base without a warrant?

I had heard on one of these shows, that they are trying to legislate getting a DNA profile from convicted criminals, just to have it in data base. If the person is not convicted, can they take it and put it in a data base without a warrant?

Marie——This is a great question. Inquiring minds want to know, right? We all know that convicted criminals must give up their DNA. That’s a no-brainer. Please keep in mind that I have been out of the loop for a few years and things are changing quite regularly in this area. However, if a person is arrested for most felonies, he must surrender his DNA in most states. But, if he is later found innocent in court, it is possible for that person to request that his DNA profile be recalled. Here’s the tricky part. Police Departments may petition the court to retain the DNA, even though declared Not Guilty, if it is reasonable to suspect or are able to show reasonable cause that the now innocent person is a threat to society. Judges are very reluctant and cautious to sign a warrant to retain the DNA because of a successful appeal from an Appellate Court. This is especially true of younger judges who are hoping to advance to a higher court. Judges that are continually overturned on appeals stand little chance of advancement by the voters.

That “was” the way it worked a few years ago, but it may have changed.

@911 thanks. I just remember learning on some of these shows I watch that sometimes investigators hit a wall because they HAVE a DNA sample from a victim, but nothing ti match it to. Sometimes , when they do arrest someone, turns out the person has a record, for similar crimes, but was never in the system, DNA-wise

RadishRose said:
I saw Linda Kasabian speak on how she was ready and healthy enough to be paroled. It was denied again.

edit- oops, no it wasn't Kasabian. I can't recall now if it was Leslie Van Houton.

Noticed on doc. programs, Mason and Koresh (Waco) were 'teachers,' Especially, Koresh-in his church services He and He alone
had a bible, same for Jonestown. None of them could have completed their 'work' without the aid of loyal lieutenants.
Beware of them that control the flow of information, reminds you of govt-yes
We watch, try to understand, but there is no understanding.
Bundy says, 'pron led me to do it.' Maybe so, maybe so, still beyond my comprehension.
I vote for Flip Wilson's "The devil made me do it".

Marie: When the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that taking of DNA from convicted felons was legal, there were thousands in the prison system that had to have their DNA collected, analyzed and submitted. Back then, testing was super slow, like more than a year before the the sample was posted into CODIS. Now, it can be done in less than an hour with a good sample, but normally, police get the results back in 4-6 hours.

Samples collected are now run daily through CODIS, checking and rechecking. Even with the CODIS computers running as fast as they can 24/7, 365 days per year, it is still not fast enough. There’s like 10,000,000+ samples that have to be continually scanned. A lot of times when a hit has occurred and police either go to the jail or the suspect’s house to make an arrest, he/she has either been released or has jumped.

But, there is good news. New and faster computers are being designed and built, plus, new DNA testing methods are being developed. There are now several CODIS computers and servers in service and the newest DNA methods are receiving approval.

When scientists discovered a method to clone DNA, it was like a Godsend. Finally, law enforcement did not need an over abundance of DNA to have it analyzed or they didn’t have to worry about testing a sample and it being destroyed through testing. Cloning allowed for additional samples to be produced. This was the first biggest thing since the discovery of mitochondrial DNA testing.

Last edited:
RadishRose said:
I saw Linda Kasabian speak on how she was ready and healthy enough to be paroled. It was denied again.

edit- oops, no it wasn't Kasabian. I can't recall now if it was Leslie Van Houton.

Noticed on doc. programs, Mason and Koresh (Waco) were 'teachers,' Especially, Koresh-in his church services He and He alone
had a bible, same for Jonestown. None of them could have completed their 'work' without the aid of loyal lieutenants.
Bundy says, 'pron led me to do it.' Maybe so, maybe so, still beyond my comprehension.
RadishRose said:

Linda Kasabian was known as Katy. She died, didn’t she? Bone cancer?

Linda Kasabian was known as Katy. She died, didn’t she? Bone cancer?
Kasabian voluntarily surrendered herself to authorities. She readily agreed to be the key witness in the Manson trial without knowing that she would be granted immunity. she changed her name and moved west, remaining in hiding until a documentary film crew found her living in near poverty in a trailer park in 2009.

Susan Atkins, died in September 2009, at age 61, at the prison in Chowchilla. She had been denied parole 18 times and also had been denied compassionate release after her cancer diagnosis.

Kasabian voluntarily surrendered herself to authorities. She readily agreed to be the key witness in the Manson trial without knowing that she would be granted immunity. she changed her name and moved west, remaining in hiding until a documentary film crew found her living in near poverty in a trailer park in 2009.

Susan Atkins, died in September 2009, at age 61, at the prison in Chowchilla. She had been denied parole 18 times and also had been denied compassionate release after her cancer diagnosis.

You are right. I get those whacko’s mixed up.

I watched a special a few weeks back on the Oxygen channel, “The Manson Girls.” Great show, but I still can’t get the women’s names straight.

My husband used to always think I was nuts for liking them. Oh well. What I like is the forensics, and background. To see how the police solve the crimes, and a bit about what motivates the criminals.
Newer show is In Justice with Nancy Grace. It is on the Investigative Discovery (ID) channel. I could watch that channel all day. I just watched an episode of the Nancy Grace show where, yet again, the killer is caught because he talked about the crime (usually murder) to a cellmate while in jail for something else. Then the cellmate turned snitch, of course. When are criminals going to figure out that the LAST person you should confess to is another criminal. Darn.

But I love the shows.
Count me in too Marie...I pay a little extra on Dish to watch the ID channel day or night...luv the funny comments the actual Kenda comes out with....gives me a laugh at least once during each show....

Anyone waiting for the new episodes of NCIS: Los Angeles or New Orleans starring Scott Bakula?
lots of action and thought provoking scenes...two of my favorite shows....

Anyone waiting for the new episodes of NCIS: Los Angeles or New Orleans starring Scott Bakula?
lots of action and thought provoking scenes...two of my favorite shows....
I never really got into the episodes of Los Angeles. I watched New Orleans and simply got away from it.

As for the Autopsy Last Hours show, I am not sure if there any new ones, as I am so new to watching it. I did watch the ones on Lucille Ball and Rue McClanahan though. I watched something about David Cassady too, but forgot if it was that show, or the New How it Really happened with Hill Harper.

Back