I love baseball

I used to watch a lot of baseball and then later when it became all about the money, my interest dwindled away. Yesterday I was watching the Yankees/Boston game. One of the Yankees was batting, don't know the name, but after every pitch, he would step out of the batters box and unwrap and rewrap his wristband. Why? I haven't a clue.

Baseball was my "Major" in High school. :) I blew a possible scholarship by losing interest my Senior year. I love the game. I did notice that when I reached a "product" level my training changed dramatically. I no longer took batting in practice. ( I loved to bat ) They tried to change the way I pitched so I could get a extra 5 MPH on my fastball. I had to run twice as much for endurance...gotta get that 6 innings out of the starter ( We played 7 ) That is when I lost interest. It was no longer "fun" for me. I am ambivalent about the massive amounts of money in professional sports. Their skill and athleticism is amazing, but they pay a big price sacrificing the bulk of their life maintaining their professions.
Agree!

I never reached what you aptly called "product level" because I got married right outa high school and we started having kids right after the "I do's", but I was married to the game (and therefore the television) up until the umpiring changed several years ago. I hate that they can throw out the players, coaches, and managers just for being baseball, you know what I mean? You can't even glare in the wrong direction anymore. There's no Walk of Shame, it's just a Walk Again. And what the hell is up with some guy in some office off field, not even at the game (MLB), making the calls after reviewing video?? What's the point? That's just frustrating. You've got 4 umps on the field, let them discuss and come to an agreement, we can live with that like we always have.

But back to your point; the game isn't as much fun to play or to watch when the emphasis is on perfection of performance. It's like watching a bunch of programmed robots. It's not very human, and that gets boring.

I always thought baseball was slow and boring except for the Pirates when I lived in Pgh. But in 2017 I was out of circulation for quite a while with a broken leg, didn’t like the ugly tv shows and got interested in it! Was for the Astros till I found out what a rotten cheat our hometown hero was. I’m watching a lot again because I just don’t like what’s on tv. I’d just think it’s relaxing for me tho I do admit sometimes it’s just plain slow. I even got fewer programs so I could get more sports channels. Since i live out west now I don’t get to see the Pirates as often as I’d like. And the camera work is so much better than years ago. Like to watch all the batters mannerisms and really good fielding. And when they cut to the crowd for cute shots. I don’t really have any other favorite teams.

I used to watch a lot of baseball and then later when it became all about the money, my interest dwindled away. Yesterday I was watching the Yankees/Boston game. One of the Yankees was batting, don't know the name, but after every pitch, he would step out of the batters box and unwrap and rewrap his wristband. Why? I haven't a clue.
Could be he gets sweaty palms so there was some sort of *illegal* grip substance on the wristband.

In my youth, baseball was my absolute passion. Sure, I loved football in Autumn, hockey & basketball in Winter. But nothing mattered to me quite as much as MLB. Played many, many games of baseball, softball, hardball, one old cat (which we called all against one in Brooklyn), and stickball. Oh the memories!

Back in the good old days, the average length of a game was only about 90 minutes to 2 hours. Today it is closer to three hours. Yuck. Bring back the quick paced game as in the old days - that's when the game was really fun.

Still love the game and watched my neighborhood age 14/15 play about six games this Summer. How I wish the league played more games. Also watched a couple of mens 18+ amateur ball. Those games are fun but mostly played out in the suburbs. I do not drive a car and cannot get out there, sad to say.

Will watch the pros on TV or online. But much prefer watching high schoolers and other young folks. It will always be fun to me. :)

R.28891a8262a7017cc8e47af7636566a6

Legion ball. Probably the greatest form of baseball anywhere. While Minnesota has more teams than any other league in USA (we have more than many states combined) for some reason the league refuses to post schedules online or to make any form of schedule available for the public. I spoke to a lady whose grandson played in a local team and she told me that even she couldn't get a schedule.

I am tired of the show offs standing at home plate after they hit a HR. I saw a clip of one player doing that last week and was thrown out at first after it did not leave the park.

I never watch a whole game on TV but if the score is close and men are on base I stay for a while. Big name players like Aaron Judge I watch to see how they perform and some of the fielding plays are great. The Little League World Series is scheduled this year and I look forward to it each year. No international teams though this year.

I watched a bit of the women's Olympic soccer game yesterday while waiting for my order at a restaurant yesterday. I had never watched soccer before, and it was actually pretty interesting. Not that that has anything to do with people loving baseball, but it's another option for things to do. :)

@suds00
Do you follow a particular team or teams?
Or do you like to watch any that are available?

Are you able to get your favorites on your TV? Your preferred teams, or even any baseball games at all?

A lot fewer baseball games are on any TV stations, than there were , many years ago.
And most that are on, are on cable stations.
Unless there's a local station to show the area's home team games.

If a person enjoys it and finds it relaxing, it helps to have a game to watch sometimes.

Last edited:
Did you see those bitches take a knee during the national anthem? I hope they don't let them back in the country.
The claim that the U.S. women’s national soccer team knelt before its first match in Tokyo is PARTLY FALSE, based on our research. While the U.S. team’s 11 starters did kneel alongside those from Sweden and a referee for the July 21 match, the photo that accompanies the claim is from February. At that time, some members of the team kneeled while others stood during the national anthem. Neither team kneeled during national anthems at the July 21 match.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-us-womens-soccer-olympic-protest/8059982002/

The college women pitch the ball at 73 mph+/-.
I was irritated that so many on the US Olympic Softball team were in their late thirties. No college students from what I could tell. We could have used two young women from Oklahoma's winning team - G Juarez's pitching and Jocelyn Alo's bat would have sure come in handy.

Why wrap and unwrap? Easy: baseball players are superstitious. Evidently, he feels it is good luck to do so. Failure to do so means he will make an out.

Dunno if the name Phil Rizzuto means anything to you. But he was a legendary player/tv announcer back in the day. And he was one who often spoke about player superstitions. Here's mine: growing up Catholic I always carried a Crucifix chain on my neck. Before every inning I would touch it as a form of "prayer" asking for help from Above that I have a good inning. If I failed to do so I'd be afraid of having a bad one and ultimately losing the game. Evidently it worked as (if I may be permitted the boast) I had a rather successful baseball career as as a player and was even more successful as a coach. The game of baseball has been very good to me. These superstitions helped carry me through quite a lot. :)

Back