Insulting St. Patrick's Day shirts at Walmarts

for sure on the t shirt thing. When I first saw them (the post) I thought it was "off color" but then when I got to thinking about it, there's stuff of all kinds out there that can be taken as offensive, and people seem to jump at the chance to take offense.

Anyway, I remember St. Patricks day the same way you do, I hadn't remembered the buttons but I do now:) I don't go out at all Seabreeze, I say I would but I haven't "gone out" since I was late 20's. Not a night-life person. That sandwich sure sounds good though, might have to make me one of those;) I do like a dark beer or red wine on occasion (let's see, I need to get an occasion though, lol).:p

The problem I have, and I put up a link which would be helpful in explaining this, is what it leads to. The ridicule desensitizes people and they consciously or unconsciously start to believe the stereotypes and form opinions.

In the case of the Irish, it led to job and housing discrimination not to mention personal bigotries. And here in N Ireland it's caused thousands of deaths.

I just don't find ethnic slurs amusing for any group, never did, never will. And will always oppose them.

Long, long ago that disgusting establishment MacCrap was pushing green shakes (notice the lack of "milk") to supposedly honor(?) St. Patrick. The very idea made me nauseous. One fine morning, walking to work (ah, those were the days -- walking to work), saw one tossed in the gutter with green plastic goop splashed out and my beliefs were vindicated.

The problem I have, and I put up a link which would be helpful in explaining this, is what it leads to. The ridicule desensitizes people and they consciously or unconsciously start to believe the stereotypes and form opinions.

In the case of the Irish, it led to job and housing discrimination not to mention personal bigotries. And here in N Ireland it's caused thousands of deaths.

I just don't find ethnic slurs amusing for any group, never did, never will. And will always oppose them.

You are right about the ethnic slurs, I know I have laughed at them time and time again, without thinking of the "snow ball effect" it can have. The other night I was watching an old movie, pretty much all I watch, and I was actually shocked to hear some fun being made of different ethnic groups. So in some ways, those things have improved but as long as there is life on Earth, this kind of think will exist. I'm not saying each of us shouldn't try to be more aware of ourselves and how we are treating others, that's for sure. There was something came to me lastnight, oh I remember.

I'll make a new paragraph, just because. But I realized I had been "talking about" a person on here that could very well be reading these forums, she's a movie star but hey, she could easily be reading. We were talking about the face surgery thing in Hollywood. It made me stop and think because I wouldn't want her to be hurt by what I said, I was saying I was sad for her and all that. Anyway, I'm glad when I get those eye-openers, and that is part of why I like being here, you hear what others have to say, and how they see it.

I'll make a new paragraph, just because. But I realized I had been "talking about" a person on here that could very well be reading these forums, she's a movie star but hey, she could easily be reading. We were talking about the face surgery thing in Hollywood. It made me stop and think because I wouldn't want her to be hurt by what I said, I was saying I was sad for her and all that. Anyway, I'm glad when I get those eye-openers, and that is part of why I like being here, you hear what others have to say, and how they see it.

We all can make the choice of whether to be hurt or not, and that's a much more doable option than legislating what people think and say.

Unfortunately some aren't capable of getting beyond the words thrown at them - they have to use their proxies (lawyers) to fight their battles for them, being too weak themselves to do so.

As for Hollywood types - hey, you want to put it out there for public consumption the first thing you'd better learn is to take the bad with the good. It's like the writers that cry and throw fits when they get a bad review - get over it, that's life.

Long, long ago that disgusting establishment MacCrap was pushing green shakes (notice the lack of "milk") to supposedly honor(?) St. Patrick. The very idea made me nauseous. One fine morning, walking to work (ah, those were the days -- walking to work), saw one tossed in the gutter with green plastic goop splashed out and my beliefs were vindicated.

:eeew:Guiness is the respectable route to go!

There's a fine line between fun, funny and mean, cruel. I like taking it to the edge but never cross it.

I like doing this too but only with folks I know will dish it back, or, that start it, LOL!! I mean it's like my sis saying she loved taking me swimming when I was a tot, but I kept getting out of the bag. I know she doesn't mean it:eek:mg::noway:

I would sure like to go to a real, Irish pub on St. Patricks day, what a blast!! Do they still favor warm beer though? That's one thing I don't think I could enjoy, ice, cold dark for me;)

Get ye over here, Nw! And the beer is most certainly not warm! But Guinness is my drink of choice. Doubt you'd like that though, it's not a woman's drink.

You would like the music and the craic as they call it here. Not the drug, the conversation and jokes!

I can remember when Guinness was drunk by mainly women and in particular nursing mothers to help with the breast milk.

Apart from the nursing mothers Guinness in England was regarded as a woman's drink.

I can remember when Guinness was drunk by mainly women and in particular nursing mothers to help with the breast milk.

Apart from the nursing mothers Guinness in England was regarded as a woman's drink.

Those days are gone for sure in Ireland at least. In fact it's just about considered an older man's drink as the young ones don't go for it much. But I know many here have told me how in maternity wards the new mothers would be offered Guinness as it was thought to give them nutrients and strength.

Actually it does contain some measure of B vitamins. I just like it but never have found a female in Ireland who downs pints of Guinness and I do get curious looks.

I used to have dark German beer in the US so when I came to Ireland I wanted to try the Guinness. My husband warned me that it was an acquired taste. Well, I acquired it right away!:unconscious:

Back