Insulting St. Patrick's Day shirts at Walmarts

IMHO people have lost their sense of humour :grin:

I don't know. If it was a shirt that said something about black people eating chicken or such, how would that go down?

You can get away with a lot of stereotype insults using the "it's only a joke" attitude. Personally, I detest stereotyping of any group anywhere.

No big deal, I can't even remember exactly when St Patrick's Day, sometime this month isn't it? I have dual British and Irish citizenship!:D

Westley is asking the Irish community not to purchase anything from Walmart stores for the month of March.

Then how are they going to get their beer and potatoes?

Seriously with this? How about the St. Patrick's Day Parade in NYC, with everyone wearing those butt-ugly green plastic hats? No one complains about that very much, now do they? "KISS ME, I'M IRISH" buttons - no, nothing wrong there, right?

I'm with Jill on this one - people need to lighten up, especially fat ugly Americans with big mouths. :rolleyes:

Personally, I detest stereotyping of any group anywhere.

Stereotypes more often than not have their origins in truth. Why are Italians to this day called "greaseballs"? Because they used to use grease in their hair. Why are they called "Guineas"? Because some of the Southern Italians have very dark skin.

This is from Wikipedia -

Mick - Derogatory term for an Irishman in the U.S. and U.K. It is derived from Mickey and Mikey, nicknames for Mícheál, a common Irish name for males after St. Michael.

Paddy
- Derogatory term for an Irish man, derived from a nickname for Pádraig, a common Irish name for males after St. Patrick.

Pogue -
Epithet derived from the Irish phrase, "Pog mo Thoin", meaning kiss my arse. It is generally not considered offensive.

Taig -
Extremely offensive term, deriving from the Irish Gaelic forename Tadhg, often used to describe Catholics in Northern Ireland. It often has implications of Republican sympathy.

Snout-
Offensive term used in Northern Ireland to describe Protestants of British descent living in Northern Ireland.

Hun -
Offensive term used in Northern Ireland to describe Protestants of British descent living in Northern Ireland.

So the Irish themselves are not entirely blameless ...

Stereotypes more often than not have their origins in truth. Why are Italians to this day called "greaseballs"? Because they used to use grease in their hair. Why are they called "Guineas"? Because some of the Southern Italians have very dark skin.

For me that's dangerous thinking for it leads to the ultimate of stereotyping; bigotry. I dislike lumping people together and attributing to them traits that may or may not apply to them individually.

I like the concept of taking people as I find them and not having preconceived ideas about someone because of their ethinic backgrounds. Not to mention it doesn't make me laugh and I love comedy in many forms. Just not when it's aimed at someones ethnicity.

161665574_irish-humor-small-poster-irish-stereotypes-t-shirts-.jpg

How'd that happen? You had a relative born in Ireland? Just curious.

Yes, my paternal grandmother was Irish, I detested her, but her mother was really lovely. When we visited Ireland we were taken with the friendliness of the people. My youngest sister decided to get dual nationality for no better reason than she could. As she had collected all the necessary documentation, I decided to get dual nationality too in 2008, it only cost £88. I got it partly because I knew how much it would wind my mother up if she knew!:D But I refrained from telling her, although it was tempting.:D

For me that's dangerous thinking for it leads to the ultimate of stereotyping; bigotry. I dislike lumping people together and attributing to them traits that may or may not apply to them individually.

I would have to be blind not to see that some Italians are dark-skinned. It's only natural for people to categorize other people, so I'm bound to make a separate division, if only in my mind, for dark-skinned Italians.

That doesn't make me a bigot - that only happens when I treat them differently because of their skin color.

I like the concept of taking people as I find them and not having preconceived ideas about someone because of their ethinic backgrounds. Not to mention it doesn't make me laugh and I love comedy in many forms. Just not when it's aimed at someones ethnicity.

Ethnicity, being a part of everyone's life and no one having had a choice in the matter, is prime material for comics. I feel that pointing out that this behavior or that is stereotyping is only prolonging the existence of prejudice. Accept it, laugh about it and move on, I say. Instead we get stuck repeating the same useless mantras in our search for universal peace.

There IS no such thing as universal peace - Man was not made for that. He was made to struggle. Part of that struggle is, like the rest of Nature, based upon observing differences between your race ("species") and others.

How did soldiers in the Civil War recognize the enemy? By their uniforms - it was impossible to differentiate one American from another.

Fast forward to World War II, especially in the Pacific Theater - how did we recognize the enemy? By skin tone and facial structure. Viet Nam? Iraq? The same. No, not ALL of the people with those characteristics were the enemy, but it served as a starting point for our troops.

I would enjoy living in a perfect world. Unfortunately, the only one I have is this one.

I would have to be blind not to see that some Italians are dark-skinned. It's only natural for people to categorize other people, so I'm bound to make a separate division, if only in my mind, for dark-skinned Italians.

That doesn't make me a bigot - that only happens when I treat them differently because of their skin color.

Ethnicity, being a part of everyone's life and no one having had a choice in the matter, is prime material for comics. I feel that pointing out that this behavior or that is stereotyping is only prolonging the existence of prejudice. Accept it, laugh about it and move on, I say. Instead we get stuck repeating the same useless mantras in our search for universal peace.

There IS no such thing as universal peace - Man was not made for that. He was made to struggle. Part of that struggle is, like the rest of Nature, based upon observing differences between your race ("species") and others.

How did soldiers in the Civil War recognize the enemy? By their uniforms - it was impossible to differentiate one American from another.

Fast forward to World War II, especially in the Pacific Theater - how did we recognize the enemy? By skin tone and facial structure. Viet Nam? Iraq? The same. No, not ALL of the people with those characteristics were the enemy, but it served as a starting point for our troops.

I would enjoy living in a perfect world. Unfortunately, the only one I have is this one.

Sorry there is no justification for entertainment based on someones ethnicity for me. Never was when I was a kid and isnt' now either.

That people look different isn't the issue. It's making fun of them because of it or stereotyping them because of their ethnic background.

I live now in a country that discriminates and ridicules because of someones religion and came from one in which it was the same because of color. I'm sick to death of it. And it sure isn't funny to me.

The Essex girl is stereotyped but we can laugh at it and if neccessary string people along.:lol:

Crikey they even have a television series called.....'The Only Way Is Essex':lofl:

Essex is a county in England.....which borders Greater London to the north. It sticks into the sea, and is often mocked because of some of it's less educated women, who tend to be blonde, wear white stilettos , and talk in a way unrecognisable by anybody else....which is a complete stereotype, and not true!

Essex is a county in England.....which borders Greater London to the north. It sticks into the sea, and is often mocked because of some of it's less educated women, who tend to be blonde, wear white stilettos , and talk in a way unrecognisable by anybody else....which is a complete stereotype, and not true![/QUOTE]

Oh! please Viv, don't spoil the illusion.:lol1:

Viv, I got over bring judged as stupid a long time ago. My mother said my first word was "Why", and that characteristic as taken me through 19 years of going to college part time, while I worked to help Michael raise our family.

Back