Is it just me? "Miss" prefix before my first name makes me feel old.

What's funny is a lot of people my age and older put the Miss in front of my name and they don't do it with other people we know, Next time I see some of these people, I'm going to ask them why do they do that, it's a little weird and they know I'm not older, they just automatically do it for some strange reason.

It will be interesting to see what they say April, please let us know. I never had any friends say Miss before my first name, if I was the only one they were addressing that way, I'd be curious too.

It will be interesting to see what they say April, please let us know. I never had any friends say Miss before my first name, if I was the only one they were addressing that way, I'd be curious too.

I will, next time I will be meeting up with a group of them will be on the 26th at a party, I know for sure the one lady she's in a picture with me in my album, she always refers to me that way, I'll see her there and ask her, my closest friends I don't need to ask, because I'll just have to curse them out for the answers I know they'll give. LOL!

"Miss First Name" is a very old fashioned US Southern way of addressing a well respected much older woman, particularly, but not always, a woman who has never married, and also frequently used by servants toward their female employers. It is never meant to be disrespectful when used in that manner. Never heard it used between peers, though, that's really weird.

I've also heard it used toward very young girls, sometimes as "Missy so and so."

I worked in a law office in Alabama and there was a lady there who had been in her job (secretary) for 50 years, and most of the much younger staff and attorneys called her "Miss Blanche" as a sign of respect. She had been in her job before most of them were born.

Over here there is an old expression............'I don't care what you call me, just don't call me late for tea'.:bigwink:

I prefer being called miss or missie ( usually by my seniors who I work with ) because I equate that with youthfulness. When people call me M'aam I see stars, am ready to punch arbitrarily, and just throw fits in general. I was only 23 the first time someone called me M'aam and I was too stunned to even reply to them.

"Lady" would work for me just fine too. But never call me M'aam. :mad:

I think of Miss first name as a southern US thing.

I'm fine with my first name by whoever. My DHs grandson is now calling me Granny Annie.

I worked in a catholic school for 25 years and was always addressed as Miss. Just Miss, the way kids address their mothers as Mum (or Mom). The nuns were all addressed as Sister although sometimes it sounded like Star. This never happened in the state schools so I guess there are cultures within a society that have their own idiosyncrasies.

April, I wouldn't read too much into being called Miss April. It sounds pretty benign to me, but then I'm not attuned to local customs in your area.

As I stated in my original post, this is just something I have been curious about for some time. I just wondered if it was just me that feels that way or is there someone else. I'm not offended and I don't say anything because I've always known that it is their way of showing respect. It just makes me feel old. But, the odd thing is, I can't remember hearing "Mr. Joe", etc. when they address a man. But, maybe it just means I'm not around men enough to know. It just doesn't seem to be as common among men as it is women. Thanks everyone for your response! I've enjoyed reading them!

No.. you will never hear a adult man being called Master Joe.. or Master Gus.. Master is the male equivalent of Miss. Do you think using Miss First name for women is a way to diminutize them? It seems to be acceptable to treat women as children or as childlike.. particularly if they are elderly.

I've been called Miss Bonnie by a few of my 'older' neighbors for years. Never really gave it a single thought, as it seems to be an affectionate Southern greeting. .. and they do the same to the husbands ..as in Mr. Jim.
The kids never have done it though .. with them it's Bonnie or Mrs. Thomas.
I find no reason to be upset by it, because it's just their way of saying Hi...

It's true that forms of address are cultural. I work with a lot of hispanic women.. mostly housekeepers and they address me as well as each other Mamma or Mommie.. Seriously.. it's a form of respect to call a woman.. mommie.. in a casual setting.

I've lived in the south my whole life and rarely hear it. It does happen though. An office manager at my old company was referred to as 'Miss Brenda' by a couple of employees. They didn't do it all the time, usually in a casual or funny way. They were all good friends. Brenda was married btw so it was not a reference to being single. I do hear of females being addressed as 'miss' if one does not know their name.

I have some younger neighbors refer to me as 'sir' on occasion. They are just being respectful since I am older, but it does make me feel old when a 40 year old person does it. I'd rather they just call me by my first name. When a teenager or child says sir, I appreciate it. Funny how we look at things...........

All the doctor`s office personnel call me by my first name-and I have been to several offices over the past few years,as you all know,due to my doctors moving away. Again,California tends to be very casual that way. The only time I can think of being called Mrs. Robinson anymore is at the grocery store when I use my club card and they hand me the receipt and thank me-or when Wes calls me that,which he does a lot as a term of endearment.

Aww come on, Mrs. R. admit it. You're still a little miffed about losing out to Anne Bancroft for "The Graduate". btw, what does Dustin Hoffman call you? :eek:nthego:

Hahaha-when The Graduate came out,I was 17 years old,married about a month or two. Old Dr Schmidt sang that song to me as he told me that yes,I was most definitely pregnant. I can still remember it so clearly-and his nurse Betty standing there just cracking up! Good memory...:)

Never heard "Mr. Joe" either. Just with older women.

I still use "Yes, sir" and "No sir" with people I do not know, particularly with people in positions of authority. Got that from my parents and also from years of being in and around the military community.

I think it is meant to honor those who have attained a certain age and wisdom. However, it does accentuate that you have done just that. I prefer that those who want to address me, ask me what I prefer. I don't prefer Miss Frannie, especially by co-workers in my workplace. I was mortified when a departmental secretary started calling me that during a departmental meeting.

"Ma'am" makes me feel older than G-d. But where I used to work much of the staff was African American or Creole. Calling someone Miss June or Miss Anna was a sign of respect for elders, it was also a sign of affection between us. The Latinas use Mami for anyone female and adult.

I haven't been called " Miss Karen" yet..lol. I think it would make me smile. I'm usually just called Karen, but I don't mind being called Mrs. I think it's good to say "Please call me____" if you prefer being called something else. I never forget if someone tells me that.

I have wondered for some time, if anyone besides me feels this way. When someone calls me for example, "Miss AprilSun" it makes me feel so old. :( I would rather just be called by my name without the Miss. I know I'm old but I don't like to be reminded. I have friends that have their grandchildren call me that. Am I the only one that feels this way? I was just curious about it and thought I would ask everyone here.
Well look at your choices. Ms...Miss...Ma'am. I'd rather be called miss myself.

Back