Is the basic relationship of young males and young females significantly different than from in our day?

Do you think it's more cyclical than men? It looks that way to me, now.

I now suspect that this is maybe the main difference. Men *tend* to be never "off", always "on" and as a young male I assumed naively, without any thought, at all, that it was the same for young women.
I think it is more to do with the woman in question. Those with a very high drive, particularly when young, are very much “on”
the main difference imho is the difference in the intensity of release. Men have the edge there.

I think it is more to do with the woman in question. Those with a very high drive, particularly when young, are very much “on”
the main difference imho is the difference in the intensity of release. Men have the edge there.
Thanks.

Do you feel that time of the month has any significant part, or is desire pretty much constant throughout the cycle?

Now that we're talking about it, I think that from college on I would see very many women every day who "caught my eye". But what very often happened is that some of them would make something of an overt signal or even outright advance, and this made it OK to pursue. Without waiting for this signal, the chances of disinterest or rejection would go 'way up.

The signals or advances, when normed for the 60 through the 80s, were not super-overt, but a look, a playful smile, you could *see* it. Although once in LA after working out at a healthclub a young woman stopped me as I was leaving to go home and was extremely direct. It shocked me.

I was married and did not like cheating so I begged off, but it was quite surprising. I was not used to stuff like that, it was too overt and hence unsettling.

Thanks.

Do you feel that time of the month has any significant part, or is desire pretty much constant throughout the cycle?

Now that we're talking about it, I think that from college on I would see very many women every day who "caught my eye". But what very often happened is that some of them would make something of an overt signal or even outright advance, and this made it OK to pursue. Without waiting for this signal, the chances of disinterest or rejection would go 'way up.

The signals or advances, when normed for the 60 through the 80s, were not super-overt, but a look, a playful smile, you could *see* it. Although once in LA after working out at a healthclub a young woman stopped me as I was leaving to go home and was extremely direct. It shocked me.

I was married and did not like cheating so I begged off, but it was quite surprising. I was not used to stuff like that, it was too overt and hence unsettling.
Women’s response to their monthly cycle are varied also. Some
experience distinct fluctuations in their desire, others remain more constant.

Societal norms of what are considered acceptable expressions of flattery interest have changed radically over the decades, leaving some males confused, clueless, and scratching their heads in bewilderment.

Consider the once far more commonplace “wolf whistle,” at one time considered a kind of tribute to a young woman that she had it “going on,” but now behavior that can be considered s****l harassment. Even in terms of etiquette, holding a door for a woman was once considered proper and respectful, but today to some may be considered an offensive display. I once offended a woman’s liberationist by holding a door for her, but have also offended more traditional women by not doing so! The games are on…

Then we have cartoon character Pepe Le Pew, recently functionally retired from Warner Bros. under criticism that he “normalized rape culture.” It’s hard to be an amorous French skunk these days, especially when you confuse a cat for another skunk…Mon dieu!

2A076A07-0E8F-411D-A7C8-6000EDEEEFE5.jpeg

OP, are you attempting to understand the concept of "men are from Mars, women are from Venus"? Good luck with that! :LOL:

Seriously though, I think the young people these days are just rebelling against the social norms prevalent in the last 60 years and setting their own standards of what is acceptable and what is not. I'm not a historian, but it seems society goes through these social upheavals every once in awhile and it can be painful!

"Look out kid
They keep it all hid
Better jump down a manhole
Light yourself a candle
Don't wear sandals
Try to avoid the scandals
Don't wanna be a bum
You better chew gum
The pump don't work
'Cause the vandals took the handles."

Robert Zimmerman

OP, are you attempting to understand the concept of "men are from Mars, women are from Venus"? Good luck with that! :LOL:

Seriously though, I think the young people these days are just rebelling against the social norms prevalent in the last 60 years and setting their own standards of what is acceptable and what is not. I'm not a historian, but it seems society goes through these social upheavals every once in awhile and it can be painful!
Do you view transgenderism as a needed adaptation, long overdue?

Sounds loaded, but I'm not meaning that way. I'm just SUPER puzzled how the concept of transgenderism could have sprung from anything other than extreme self-indulgence, and fostered by open-ended, unconditional empathy.

I'm not saying that everything was ideal formerly, but I am saying that spontaneous and whimsical self-identification over physical attributes that are hard-wired at birth seemed to me to be off the table. There was no precedent for an individual born with male reproductive parts to declare himself a female and be taken seriously. Ever. All that person was, was person dissatisfied with the masculine role, as they saw it.

"Look out kid
They keep it all hid
Better jump down a manhole
Light yourself a candle
Don't wear sandals
Try to avoid the scandals
Don't wanna be a bum
You better chew gum
The pump don't work
'Cause the vandals took the handles."

Robert Zimmerman
Ya don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows... :^)

Sounds loaded, but I'm not meaning that way. I'm just SUPER puzzled how the concept of transgenderism could have sprung from anything other than extreme self-indulgence, and fostered by open-ended, unconditional empathy.

I'm not saying that everything was ideal formerly, but I am saying that spontaneous and whimsical self-identification over physical attributes that are hard-wired at birth seemed to me to be off the table. There was no precedent for an individual born with male reproductive parts to declare himself a female and be taken seriously. Ever. All that person was, was person dissatisfied with the masculine role, as they saw it.
I must have misunderstood the gist of your original post. I thought it was referring to how the kids today are different than they were in the past, not about transgender issues. Sorry!

I must have misunderstood the gist of your original post. I thought it was referring to how the kids today are different than they were in the past, not about transgender issues. Sorry!
No, my bad.

I was seeing transgender as an extreme form of changes in relationships between male/female youth.

For me, it is very simple. I welcome this adaptation. Perhaps then, in time, I will no longer need to comfort grieving parents who are sitting in my office, devastated at the suicide of their children.

For me, it is very simple. I welcome this adaptation. Perhaps then, in time, I will no longer need to comfort grieving parents who are sitting in my office, devastated at the suicide of their children.
Or, you could just not go to your office.

Kinda like saying someone could just remain silent, isn't it?

That's really discouraging! I went by memory. I really haven't paid attention to Bob since the eighties, have no clue as to his newer work at all.
Of his body of work, what "period" do you like best?

I'm not a scholar of Dyan, only like some of his stuff, and have formed up a sort of do-it-yourself historiography.

I first heard that early stuff where he was trying to come off like Woody Guthrie/Ramblin' Jack Elliott and liked it, sorta, but bear in mind that as a college freshman I was *supposed* to like it.

At some point there was a stream of consciousness period, Subterraean Homesick Blues is an example, and this I liked a lot better. In my opinion his very best song was Tangled Up in Blue.

Then there was that sorta cowboy stuff, John Wesley Hardin, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, and I liked that pretty well.

But I do think his musical influence is vastly over-rated. He was a *cultural* influence more than he was a musical influence. Boomer avatar, kinda..

But these are just my own personal opinions and I'm always interested in hear other opinions. It helps me to refine my own views a great deal.

I was probably depressed for most of my teens thru young adult life. I used to think if only I can get that guy to date me then I'll be happy. We dated, I wasn't happy. If only I get that job then I'll be happy. Or if only I get that new car, if I get a nose job, if my boobs were bigger, if I got green contact lenses, if if if if. None of those things made me happy long term. I often wonder if trans feel the way I did. I only got better after I fixed me on the inside not the outside.

Back