Is this an episode of "Law & Order" or real life case of rape?

There is an episode of "Law & Order" when a baby was born to a woman in a rest home. The problem was the woman was in a "vegetative state" and thus could not give consent for sex. It was a case of rape. In the TV show, the woman's mother paid a male nurse's aide to father a grandchild.(https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0629283/) But, yesterday, in Phoenix, there is a real case of rape, which is striking like the TV show. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/09/us/vegetative-state-birth-woman.html
A woman in a coma for 14 years gave birth to a baby boy in a rest home. The family of the woman will raise the baby in a "loving" atmosphere. The police are getting DNA from the male staff. The similarity between real life and a TV show is eerie. And I wonder how the staff missed the 9 month pregnancy. How did they account for the obvious changes to her body? How long did this sexual activity go on in this rest home? It's bizarre.

I've heard of other cases of women getting raped in a nursing home, usually by the staff. It sickens me how someone could be so hard up and perverted to do something like this to someone who was ill, in a coma, or too disabled and old or too drugged to get help or fight them off. If I ever had someone in a nursing home, I would keep an extremely close watch on them, visit often and make sure they weren't bruised and as physically and emotionally healthy as possible. Thank goodness the family is caring for the baby.

Same thing happened here in Rochester back in the 90's. In this case the staff noted an unusual weight gain around her abdomen, and it was determined she was pregnant. The family chose to continue the pregnancy and she was moved to a local hospital, where she gave birth to a boy, now 23 years old. Her rapist was found and is now in prison. The boy (never identified) was raised by his maternal grandmother.
The woman died 3 or 4 years later.
https://www.democratandchronicle.co...ster-23-years-before-phoenix-case/2540086002/

Yes I saw the report about it last week..absolutely shocking!! Apparently a DNA test is to be given to all male members of staff, and they've now also implemented a policy preventing any male staff from entering a room without a female assistant!!

I wonder why there's no CCTV cameras operating in every ward and room.. where there are vulnerable patients

Way back when, there was a cop turned author from LA that published many books about stories that were both fiction and non fiction. In fact, some of his books were made into movies. I think one of his best non fiction books that was made into a movie was "The Onion Fields." It's really a great true crime story that even kind of gave me the shivers when I read it. The movie version was also on TV, but I don't believe that it was on the big screen.

If you ever have the opportunity to watch the movie or get the book and you are a true crime reader, I am certain that this book or movie will enthrall you. It was one of the first books that I read after graduating from the State Police Academy that proved to me that there is EVIL in this world and actually inspired me to take some of it out of this world.

I forgot to mention the cop turned author's name. His name is Joseph Wambaugh. He was a former LAPD police officer.

Last edited:
I think, thanks to DNA testing, they will find the perpetrator. At least if he was employed by the nursing home 9 months ago, the field for investigation should be pretty narrowed down. Of course, it
could have been someone just "visiting."

This type of incident happens from time to time and normally, the guilty party is usually found to be someone working at the facility. It’s a very sad situation and makes me wonder at times what the heck is wrong with people?

The other situation is elder abuse in nursing homes. Right now, there is an ongoing investigation by our Investigation Unit concerning one nursing care home. We received a call from a concerned adult child that has (had) a parent in this one particular home. Here are the facts that I know.

The patient had been admitted some 14 months prior. While reaching for a magazine that was on a shelf in her room, she fell out of her wheelchair and broke her arm. Fast forward.....Three weeks later she died. After the Coroner wrote the cause of death as age related issues and natural death, the family ordered and paid for the autopsy. The ME found that the lady had suffered through several abuses. She had healed broken bones that were never set and bruises that had not yet healed. The ME’s report stated that this woman suffered greatly in her 14 months at the facility. She was not treated very nicely.

The family has now filed a lawsuit against the care facility, but just a few months back, they filed for bankruptcy. Here in Pennsylvania filing bankruptcy does not remove anyone from a lawsuit where a serious injury or death has occurred. However, this will take some time to settle. I don’t know yet if the facility had paid up their insurances or if they cancelled them at the time of the bankruptcy filing. This will determine if the family gets any relief or not.

Also, the family made a comment to the Investigator that is heading up this case, that the lady had told her daughter some time ago that she was told to never discuss what goes on in the home. If she did, she would be punished. Obviously, she told her daughter.

We have investigated several elder abuse cases here in PA. It’s something that is over-looked more times than anyone can imagine. We (the State Police) take these charges very seriously and if any accusations are proven to be true, we do whatever we can to see that those who are responsible are prosecuted. Elder abuse is a very serious crime. Anyone who would abuse an older, defenseless person is in need of some very intensive psychotherapy.

Back