It Takes Effort To Be Social Living Alone

Before my OH died, we did everything together, there were couples that we'd catch up with at weekends but neither of us went anywhere without the other, it seemed normal to me at the time

Anyway, now I find that most of our former acquaintances have either passed too, or moved away and I've only one friend who I see once a week for a couple of drinks at the local pub, I pick her up and her hubby comes and takes her home.
She recovering from chemo after having a mastectomy and doesn't go anywhere either

Apart from the checkout staff at the shops etc, she's the only person I speak to ...OH yes and the guy who keeps my postage stamp patch of grass tidy, he'll ring me once a month to arrange times

I'm okay once I get to know folk, it's just finding somewhere to go alone that's difficult, I keep myself amused with online sudoku,? trivia quiz etc and I read a lot, plus do my steps but sometimes I get very bored

I'm not desperate for company all the time but now and again it would be nice to have a real chat with someone/anyone!
My cat doesn't understand me and only communicates when she wants food

I don't seek anyone out but when someone comes knocking on my door and comes in I do enjoy their company. I hardly ever go to someone's door unless for a specific reason.

I had some very close friends in the past when I was married to my first husband and we went everywhere together. He divorced me and they stayed his friends not mine. So I learned a long time ago to not be dependent on anyone else for my happiness. And twice, I had to leave my marriages due to that reason. Happiness is important as we get older. Even if we have to push ourselves to do things alone. I find that people talk to me and I may not be friends with them, but I have interactions with others.

This was the reason why I moved out of the complex I used to live in. It was all too communal and you were expected to join in with everything. I actually took to creeping out the back entrance, so that I didn't have to face the questions as to where I was going.
Now I'm in a much smaller unit and we all keep to ourselves.
Hi Rosemarie....do you care to chat sometime. I know exactly what it means living alone. I live in GA

Since every other category of life has been commercialized or utilized by non-profits to expand their visibility, I'm surprised there are so few places dedicated to social activities for seniors. There are garden clubs, golf clubs, political clubs, tennis clubs, boating clubs, country clubs, card clubs, and so on, but nothing dedicated to social activities for older seniors. I'm surprised there aren't nice private clubs for seniors only that have nice dinners, lectures, socials and other services for their senior members.

I live in a Senior Living Facility which is more or less also assisted living. Due to health issues, my family thought this was the best solution for me since I cannot live with my son. He can live with me, but no way can I live with him. I love him dearly, but he's an adult and does things his way which often annoy me. Well, when I first moved here 13 years ago, it was very active with a lot of social folks. This suited me fine as I am a people person to an extent. As time has passed, so have most of those people I first met and here I am now with a new group moving it who are well into dementia, but not quite ready for the Alzheimer's unit. So, I, the dog, and my computer with my forums, etc. have become the best of friends. No activities to speak of, but COVID has scotched that anyhow. Good thing I am comfortable in my own skin and I go visit my son for a couple of weeks every other month. Works out OK.
Did you ever move...seems like awhile back you were posting about moving to another Assisted that suited you better!

I live alone and it's often weeks at a time that I don't say a single word to anyone. My hearing is quite bad and I can not understand anything anyone says. Oh, yes, I'd like to be able to have a conversation , but that is impossible.
I must use a headphone amplifier AND closed captioning when i watch TV, movies etc.

Gaer,
What is your secret to not letting the complete alone time bother you or let it get in your head?
This "being alone" is a growth of my soul. I can be very social but most of my life has been spent alone.
I'm strange! haha! I spend more time in writing, creating and spiritual communication than what
is considered reality on this weird surreal Earth.
Don't expect anyone to understand.

That's why I went looking at options and came here.

The voices in my head just wanted to argue, and I needed a new community.

Back