Jesus, Son of God, or Just a Wish?

Mitch86

I believe Jesus is the Son of God named Yahweh. I believe he can save us and give us the ability to take any suffering and still be Saved. I always pray to Jesus for help in tough situations and, somehow, He gets me through it undamaged. I am 88 and have relied on Him to get me with little damage to my present age. I reach Him through MUSIC rather than reading the Bible.

Here is a sample of what makes me believe:

Sigmund Freud once wrote "it's not God who created man, but man who created God". Richard Dawkins, "the world's most prominent atheist" follows Freud in "The God Delusion" arguing on biology, i.e. evolution.
Or perhaps he has died ("God is dead" wrote the philosopher Nietzsche). The funniest about it wrote Richard Dooling in his novel "Critical Care". God once visited a bar and sat at the counter. He wanted to pay but some of his coins fell down. He bent down to catch them and while going up again bumped his head severely into the counter. Since that time he is in coma and on life support.
If you ask me, I think, by looking at the state of the so-called civilization, as it is now, it seems unlikely that God exists. Regarding Jesus, I just don't know.

Last edited:
I believe Jesus is the Son of God; He can speak through music, the Bible, other people

He showed His care by coming to die for us, then rising from the dead to allow us to be able to live

He is still reaching out to the suffering; what people do with His offers of help is up to them

Of course there will be situations we don't understand.

I look to His unchanging character, the fact that He is love itself, that He is all powerful. His timing may be different than mine but He is the all-knowing One. I can rest in His care and Love.

It's surely a choice
A choice we've been given

There's plenty of proof God is
And His Son

Isaiah is rife with His first coming.....hundreds of years before

Likely the clearest prophecy about Jesus is the entire 53rd chapter of Isaiah. 53:7 is especially unmistakable: “He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering. Like one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows, yet we considered him stricken by God, smitten by him, and afflicted. But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed. We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all. He was oppressed and afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth; he was led like a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is silent, so he did not open his mouth.”

The Word is everywhere
Answers are there
Yet, it is so neglected

If there is a god, he doesn't care...

I agree, if he did care he would not allow children to become ill, or be killed in horrible ways [accidents ,at hands of others, [like their parents] in weather tragedies ] etc.

After a storm , hurricane , toronado .... people interviewed always say ..... Well I just thank the lord we were not hurt.

Well then , conversely do they also thank him for killing the folks the next block over ?

I actually asked a person that one time , just in conversation. Their answer was oh that's the devil ...... handy guy to have around I guess.

I believe Jesus is the Son of God named Yahweh. I believe he can save us and give us the ability to take any suffering and still be Saved. I always pray to Jesus for help in tough situations and, somehow, He gets me through it undamaged. I am 88 and have relied on Him to get me with little damage to my present age.
Good for you, and I'm glad you find comfort in your beliefs.

I don't believe, but respect those that do.

People always ask, "How could God allow for this or that to happen?" But we never ask, "How could the Devil allow me to enjoy the birth of my child or that beautiful sunset.

So I maintain the question is flawed to begin with.
My grandmother always said the only heaven or hell you will get is what you live through right here, so live a moral life. That has always made sense to me.

I am a believer in Christ, with a lot of doubts! It started with a powerful conversion experience in the late seventies that led to studies in a post graduate seminary and upon completion to twenty years as a Baptist pastor. My convictions were firm and sincere throughout this period. I was Liberal (I was a sailor as well for quite a few years :D) and not the typical fun denying, hell fire and brimstone type, something I am happy about to this day. Looking back, I don't think my preaching did any obvious harm! LOL

I also did not believe in the inerrancy of the Bible. There were obvious mistakes that could not be explained away, so I stuck with the New Testament only (well, except for some Psalms, and Isaiah 53.) Quite frankly the God of the Old Testament was too human for me, petulant, capricious, toying with poor Job, regretting things He had done. There was a branch of Christianity in the fifth century A.D. that only wanted the New Testament as their Scriptures. I wish they had succeeded. Having said that, I might be proven wrong down the road when I finally meet my Maker!!!

I have always blamed all the misery we are facing, and having faced throughout our recorded history, on having been given free will! God does not want robots but people who will freely make up their minds: good or bad, you choose!! But after a while, sadly, the closeness to God, the awareness of His presence slowly faded away. Now I am clinging to the knowledge that my conversion experience was real. THAT THERE IS SOMEONE THERE WHO CARES!

Here is my proof (You don't have to believe it, I sympathize, I was a militant atheist):

During a depressed period in my life I cried out one night "God if you are there, help me!" And found myself unexpectedly in a sea of light, experiencing pure love and a joy I had never known before. When I told my brother some time later what had happened, he grinned: "Psychiatrists have a word for people like you!" But here is the clincher, my present anchor to my weak faith:

I was actually guided to a passage in the book of James, which turned out to be very pertinent to my prolonged experience of God, and I had never held a Bible in my hands before. My wife had to scramble for hers so we could check things out. But now, years later, I still believe but, like so many others, I have seen so many things that disturb me deeply, that I frequently cry out "God where are you?" And my daily prayer: "God I believe, help Thou my unbelief!"

Apologies for taking up so much of your time!

The vast majority that criticize the New Testament or Jesus have rarely actually read more than small sections of scripture and instead just listen to small readings during church services. In fact in this era, few people actually read much at all except if it is about some celebrity, popular culture, or sports.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/299433/bible-readership-in-the-usa/

31723a.jpg

The Gospel of John is by far the clearest writing that points to Jesus being aware of who he said he is and about his promise for believers of God's gift of eternal life. Likely also the only book fully inspired because it was written after the synoptics that instead read like witnessed passed along over years aural history accounts. There is fair scriptural evidence that during Jesus's lifetime, God and his Earth spiritual advisors (Moses, Gabriel etc) though greatly hoping to avoid doing so, expected to actually have to take over control of the Earth from dominant warlike immoral humans not long after Jesus would be put to death. But because his early church movement under Peter and Paul had real legs because he actually did visibly appear to amazingly really still be alive to the small core of believers, they decided to give it more chance. One can expect Jesus after being taken up to Heaven and evaluating the likelihood his church after such sacrifice had any chance of taking root long term, would feel a more genuine account was necessary for his true message than what his poorly educated apostles were capable of. Greek educated Paul (aka Saul) was a first attempt at helping that but that still left a hole in adequately chronicling Jesus's brief ministry period or most important messages.

So yeah for any of you Christian doubters interested in Salvation, actually read the whole The Gospel of John that ought not take but a few sessions of an hour each day for a week. Tain't a long read at all...but eternity sure is and coming soon to any seniors.

Last edited:
People always ask, "How could God allow for this or that to happen?" But we never ask, "How could the Devil allow me to enjoy the birth of my child or that beautiful sunset.

So I maintain the question is flawed to begin with.

That sunset is just a matter of planetary rotation.

Back