Jesus, Son of God, or Just a Wish?

Jesus is my Savior. However, the non-Christian view is that at death we simply cease to exist and nothing remains. Even if that is true, Jesus and His Music still make me feel better while I live.

Here is yet another song dedicated to Jesus:

I agree, if he did care he would not allow children to become ill, or be killed in horrible ways [accidents ,at hands of others, [like their parents] in weather tragedies ] etc.

After a storm , hurricane , toronado .... people interviewed always say ..... Well I just thank the lord we were not hurt.

Well then , conversely do they also thank him for killing the folks the next block over ?

I actually asked a person that one time , just in conversation. Their answer was oh that's the devil ...... handy guy to have around I guess.
I respect everyone's different viewpoints. I would just like to share that I believe in God!!!!! 1000 percent!!! I have witnessed His works and am convinced there is another reality out there. People have eyes to see, but do not see, as the saying goes. ....and through dreams, visions, and prayer, I have seen and witnessed (as a few others on SF have attested).

I just finished reading the Psalms and Today, I was reading the Wisdom of Solomon (the son of David), as part of a daily reading of the Bible for Lent. In it, and I am paraphrasing, he said that God did not want us to die (1:13). People who believe in evil and do evil things are headed down that path. Now, why do people "die"? Our bodies die, but not our souls. Our souls live forever. Amen to that.

PS Please do not attack me or my belief. This thread should be a friendly exchange of opinions and beliefs. Let us keep it that way, so we can keep communication going. Thank you!

I am a believer in Christ, with a lot of doubts! It started with a powerful conversion experience in the late seventies that led to studies in a post graduate seminary and upon completion to twenty years as a Baptist pastor. My convictions were firm and sincere throughout this period. I was Liberal (I was a sailor as well for quite a few years :D) and not the typical fun denying, hell fire and brimstone type, something I am happy about to this day. Looking back, I don't think my preaching did any obvious harm! LOL

I also did not believe in the inerrancy of the Bible. There were obvious mistakes that could not be explained away, so I stuck with the New Testament only (well, except for some Psalms, and Isaiah 53.) Quite frankly the God of the Old Testament was too human for me, petulant, capricious, toying with poor Job, regretting things He had done. There was a branch of Christianity in the fifth century A.D. that only wanted the New Testament as their Scriptures. I wish they had succeeded. Having said that, I might be proven wrong down the road when I finally meet my Maker!!!

I have always blamed all the misery we are facing, and having faced throughout our recorded history, on having been given free will! God does not want robots but people who will freely make up their minds: good or bad, you choose!! But after a while, sadly, the closeness to God, the awareness of His presence slowly faded away. Now I am clinging to the knowledge that my conversion experience was real. THAT THERE IS SOMEONE THERE WHO CARES!

Here is my proof (You don't have to believe it, I sympathize, I was a militant atheist):

During a depressed period in my life I cried out one night "God if you are there, help me!" And found myself unexpectedly in a sea of light, experiencing pure love and a joy I had never known before. When I told my brother some time later what had happened, he grinned: "Psychiatrists have a word for people like you!" But here is the clincher, my present anchor to my weak faith:

I was actually guided to a passage in the book of James, which turned out to be very pertinent to my prolonged experience of God, and I had never held a Bible in my hands before. My wife had to scramble for hers so we could check things out. But now, years later, I still believe but, like so many others, I have seen so many things that disturb me deeply, that I frequently cry out "God where are you?" And my daily prayer: "God I believe, help Thou my unbelief!"

Apologies for taking up so much of your time!
Thank you for sharing this inspiring message!

I believe Jesus is the Son of God named Yahweh. I believe he can save us and give us the ability to take any suffering and still be Saved. I always pray to Jesus for help in tough situations and, somehow, He gets me through it undamaged. I am 88 and have relied on Him to get me with little damage to my present age. I reach Him through MUSIC rather than reading the Bible.

Here is a sample of what makes me believe:

Thank you, @Mitch86!

Since Judaism has not changed before, during, and after Jesus it must be assumed that those who consider to die at the hands of a corrupted religion as true for THEN, must then assume so now. That's when murder gets easy, or easy-peasy some might say.

See Genesis 7:7

Together with his sons, his wife, and his sons’ wives, Noah went into the ark because of the waters of the flood.

Maybe you are thinking of Adam's sons.
Still can't actually believe that limited gene pool repopulated the earth with the diversity we have today. Makes no more sense than a so-called virgin birth or rising from the dead.

Still can't actually believe that limited gene pool repopulated the earth with the diversity we have today. Makes no more sense than a so-called virgin birth or rising from the dead.
Funny how that is
Seems omnipotence trumps our feeble minds

Right now, I'm enjoying the book of Hosea
his promiscuous wife
and how he rescued her from slavery....in spite of her unfaithfulness
Quite the example of undying love

I can so relate

Early in my life, I was turned off by church and Christianity, perhaps because my dad was preacher. My mom believed church was the answer to everything and of course it was the family's responsibility to support my dad's ministry. We had to attend to attend church every Sunday and every time there was a church event, that was what we did as a family.

Then there was the Jesus movement where everyone was exuberantly happy. One time I drove back from Tennessee and stopped for the night at a hotel. I was feeling lost and uncertain about life, so I called a couple of missionaries to visit me in my room. They showed up and I tried to reach the everlasting brass ring again as before but nothing happened again.
My parents drilled in me I was broken and I will always be broken until I accept Jesus as lord and savior. There is no solid proof of any of this but to become a Christian it is a major selling point to recruit new members.

Christian recruiters claim by joining the fold you will have eternal life and live in heavenly mansions. Eternal life does not appeal me, I can't wait till this life ends and to live forever will be nothing short of torture. People view life differently it just happens I am not fond of the experience thus far.

Church hymns and praise songs are persuasive tools that causes remorse, depression and guilt. Even with uplifting songs there is a recipe for disappointment.

Our parents made us go to church / Sunday school. It was free baby sitting. They weren’t the least bit religious.

Luckily I liked Sunday school. I even voluntarily joined a couple of Bible study groups. What I enjoyed even more was the singing. Just to sit with that kind of energy is beyond uplifting. There’s nothing quite like listening to a choir of people truly singing with all their hearts for the same cause.

Unfortunately the more educated I got, the more questions I had. The more questions I had, the deeper I’d dig. Those questions have never been answered.

I do however believe we are eternal souls. Energy can neither be created or destroyed. Our consciousness lives on forever and I truly believe religion is based on this belief.

My sister in laws mom was the kindest Christian I’ve ever known. She had such love and faith that her very presence would light up any room she was in. In over 3 decades I’d never seen or heard her angry or selfish.

Never apologize for what you are believing.
Once I've read that the British actor Alec Guinnes was in great fear that his son could die. He was no Catholic but went to a Roman Catholic church and prayed to God. His son survived. Guinnes converted to the Roman Catholic church after this.
This would never have convinced me at the time, George! Some people live, some die despite our prayers. It took a very powerful experience of a benign, all-loving "force" to turn me around! Since I was born "im Schwabenland, Gruess Gott" to a fellow German!

The vast majority that criticize the New Testament or Jesus have rarely actually read more than small sections of scripture and instead just listen to small readings during church services.
But the same can be said for the vast majority that believe it. I have read the New Testament in its entirety. Granted this was years ago while on my personal quest to find truth. I thought it was very interesting indeed, but nothing there that proved what I was looking for. Nothing there that proved God or even Jesus existed. That is simply the way most Christians interpret it.

But the same can be said for the vast majority that believe it. I have read the New Testament in its entirety. Granted this was years ago while on my personal quest to find truth. I thought it was very interesting indeed, but nothing there that proved what I was looking for. Nothing there that proved God or even Jesus existed. That is simply the way most Christians interpret it.
I have read both old and new more than once. Still check back as reference. Nthing there makes me believe its any more than storytelling as a moral lift. I do believe in morals.

The Gospel of Mark (the earliest of the Gospels) was written when many of Jesus' contemporaries were still alive. Christianity would not have survived on gossip and rumours alone! Mind you, you will have to ignore the last part which was added much later!

Back