Junk from the cellar

Okay - got a reply to my FB inquires. A consensus of opinion is that it is not worth much as it is a machine made rug and in poor shape. If I can get $5 to $10 for it, TAKE IT!

Last edited:
The problem is that after Labor Day (first Monday in September for those that aren't familiar with American holidays), people get their school tax bills and are starting to think about saving for Christmas. Speaking from experience, I don't bother with sales after that. I remember about 4 years ago, I had a "Beat Black Friday" sale the weekend BEFORE Thanksgiving when I trotted out my Christmas items. Sat there all day and watched the traffic go by. Not one person stopped!
Deb, you've said that you live in a very small town. I believe that the reason people don't stop is that you've have so many yard sales for so many years and they've stopped in years past to find that there's nothing in the sale that interests them...or that you want FMV for your items. A rule of thumb for items in a yard sale is about 30% of either what you paid for it or FMV.

I never understood why an item at a garage sale should be priced way below FMV. If an item is worth $25, what difference does it make if it's in an antique shop or a garage sale? When people do stop I tell them that I am "still in process" of sorting through my parents estate and am always putting out new things. These is a small turnover.

It seems people have gotten away from buying knickknacks and collectibles. Now it's a minimalist culture - the older collectors are dying off and most of the younger people aren't interested in obtaining what they see as old used junk. There a polarization. too - people are either rabid grage sale fans or wouldn't be caught dead at one.

Why are things priced lower at yard/garage sales? Because they are. That's the way it is. If you want a prayer of getting more, you need to be an eBay seller.

You're right younger people aren't interested in "old used junk" and that's a fact. It further depresses prices.

Unless you have a truly deep attachment to the things that you are trying to sell, unload the stuff at whatever you can get for them. It'll empty out your house of clutter, and some money is better than none.

Wait! Just a few days ago I said I'm done. Oops. Now I'm done beating a dead horse.

Deb, you've said that you live in a very small town. I believe that the reason people don't stop is that you've have so many yard sales for so many years and they've stopped in years past to find that there's nothing in the sale that interests them.
You are probably right. I have to depend on people driving by that maybe haven't been to my sale before. Good thing I live on a street that is actually 3 major routes. There used to be a woman that stopped every Labor Day weekend because she passed by on her way to the Schaghticoke Fair -she worked there. She hasn't stopped now in many years - probbaly doesn't work the fair anymore for one reason or another. However, there a man that stops every Labor Day because he wants a shotgun that was my dad's - it's a Browning "Sweet 16" made in Belgium. Dad bought it in the late 1950s and now it's a collector's item, but we always have a "friendly" argument about what its worth. I still have it.

routes.jpg

You may have been sorry. It was stored in a damp cellar. When I advertised it, I specified it was to be used for outdoor purposes or pet use only. It was pretty musty smelling, hence the free price. It always amazes me that people won't even pay $1 for something, yet if I put it for FREE, I get 5 or 6 nibbles.

You may have been sorry. It was stored in a damp cellar. When I advertised it, I specified it was to be used for outdoor purposes or pet use only. It was pretty musty smelling, hence the free price. It always amazes me that people won't even pay $1 for something, yet if I put it for FREE, I get 5 or 6 nibbles.
A beautiful piece it was.

So true. I've always said the same, ask a pittance of an amount for something that justifies the asking, and sure enough, no takers, but put that very same item outside in a box with a sign "for free", and people will fight one another over it. Shameful.

A few years ago, I had to clean out an uncle's apartnment when he went into assisted care. He had a lovely knotty pine end table with a drawer. I started out at $20 and no interest. After a week I dropped the price to $10 and nothing. Five dollars elicited no response. I finally put it up for free and got 20 hits. I told the guy that eventually came to get it what happened. He said he only looked in the free stuff section. Maybe others do, too. People are so used to getting things for free, it's become a behavior.

A few years ago, I had to clean out an uncle's apartnment when he went into assisted care. He had a lovely knotty pine end table with a drawer. I started out at $20 and no interest. After a week I dropped the price to $10 and nothing. Five dollars elicited no response. I finally put it up for free and got 20 hits. I told the guy that eventually came to get it what happened. He said he only looked in the free stuff section. Maybe others do, too. People are so used to getting things for free, it's become a behavior.
Indeed, and the behaviour seems to be getting worse. Everyone looking for something for nothing. I can't stand it!

I have 6 of these authentic Depression glass tumblers. The pattern is called "Princess" and they are in perfect condition. In a price guide I have, they are listed as being worth $25 each. That would be $150 for the set. If I saw that on them at someone else's sale, I'd think they were insane. I have $50 on them which is a third of the book value and half the average asking price on eBay, but nobody even looks at them.
Princess tumblers.jpgPrincess tumbler2.jpg

I have 6 of these authentic Depression glass tumblers. The pattern is called "Princess" and they are in perfect condition. In a price guide I have, they are listed as being worth $25 each. That would be $150 for the set. If I saw that on them at someone else's sale, I'd think they were insane. I have $50 on them which is a third of the book value and half the average asking price on eBay, but nobody even looks at them.
View attachment 114264View attachment 114265
You'd have the most success preparing a specific ad directed towards collector's of such glassware.

I believe you would enjoy the rewards.

Well, I assume you mean shipping would be involved and I don't do a shipping business. Things are too fragile and people could claim the items were damamged and want their money back. Then I'm out the money AND the items. I like people to see first-hand what they are buying, then there's no complaining afterwards. If it gets broken after they buy it - it's their fault.

Well, I assume you mean shipping would be involved and I don't do a shipping business. Things are too fragile and people could claim the items were damamged and want their money back. Then I'm out the money AND the items. I like people to see first-hand what they are buying, then there's no complaining afterwards. If it gets broken after they buy it - it's their fault.
I just had a shipment arrive from Europe on Friday, a box of vintage 1950's Christmas Ornaments. All arrived safe and sound, unscathed, and aside from establishing a few details and policies beforehand and at time of shipping, you'd increase the sell-ability of your items by ten-fold though a much wider audience of buyers and interested people.

With a little time and effort, boxing/packaging fragile goods is no more complicated than boxing up items and things that aren't fragile.

Back