Knee Surgery for Seniors can do more Harm than Good

Perhaps the body wasn't meant to be cut, BUT, for many, to alleviate pain, surgery is the only way to go. When I had hip replacement in 2005, it was the very best thing I could have done. No more limp and I was back using our boat and going to the Range with my wife. My rodeo/roping days had ended five years earlier, basically due to lack of money and selling my horse.

I know how you feel about surgeries, Jaminhealth, but for my of the young and old/older, it's definitely the only way to go.

That's right I feel it should be VERY LAST RESORT, an emergency or the like, and when I finally did my THR I went in with positive thoughts that I would come out much improved, didn't happen for me. I live with 4 major complications. I'm 80 so maybe I'll make it to my end with what is. Still want to check out more Prolo for the knee. Could use it on whole body but funds prevent this NOW. Maybe if insurance ever helps this type of healing, I'll do more, like back.

Straying from [knees] I know, yet along the same line.

Have any of you ever had, or considered, laser-spine surgery for chronic back pain. I watch their TV ads....they make it sound so inviting & simple.

Of course that's the ad-man's job I know. But.....looking for pain relief tends to make one a-bit [desperate] ?

Straying from [knees] I know, yet along the same line.

Have any of you ever had, or considered, laser-spine surgery for chronic back pain. I watch their TV ads....they make it sound so inviting & simple.

Of course that's the ad-man's job I know. But.....looking for pain relief tends to make one a-bit [desperate] ?

Do you have a link on this laser surgery? I have a lot of pain and stiffness BUT desperate -- not for back surgery. I'm going to start taking cayenne capsules with each meal now to help with pain -- I've taken cayenne over the years for blood pressure and also use it for cooking but found enough info on cayenne and back pain, so going with it for a while. Price is right.

Do you have a link on this laser surgery? I have a lot of pain and stiffness BUT desperate -- not for back surgery. I'm going to start taking cayenne capsules with each meal now to help with pain -- I've taken cayenne over the years for blood pressure and also use it for cooking but found enough info on cayenne and back pain, so going with it for a while. Price is right.

I didn't mean desperate for surgery..I meant desperate for pain relief. However that desperation could lead to surgery......When nothing else has worked.

If you have been taking cayenne for BP, & cooking with it?...are you sure [more] has any chance of helping with pain?

As for the link?...No, it is just something I have seen on TV.

Yes, I add it to my soups but I'm not taking a LOT as in the capsules on a regular basis.

Just got a tip from a friend on OA pain and stiffness and he mentions Devils Claw as it's similar to the drug Vioxx that was taken off the market years ago. From Arthritis Foundation on Devils Claw

https://www.arthritis.org/living-wi...tural/supplements-herbs/guide/devils-claw.php

I'm going to jump on Devils Claw. I've never taken it, but took Cats Claw years ago and thought they were the same, but they are not.

I sure would NOT do a back surgery. And my pain issues are pretty nasty.

FYI, my lovely Significant Other had a total knee replacement this morning. The hospital here in the west valley (Phoenix area) does about 1,100 of these a year. It is robotically assisted surgery, and 98% of the patients do just fine. I'm headed back to the hospital now since she should be out or post-op recovery in an hour or so.

Have a great day!

Now the real work begins, major rehab, getting that knee to bend and get straight out.

Knee replacements are probably #1 replacements done in the U.S. Good luck with that rehab and new knee.

As an update, my lovely SO had the staples removed from the incisions today. The incision was at least 12" long, so lots of staples. She is having home based physical therapy - started last week, then this week and next, at a minimum.

I appreciate the comments posted on knee replacements. It seems some turn out well while others are pain for no result.
However all don`t mean very much unless the patients age is shown. Go for it if you are a young 50 to 70 yrs old but be careful if your older. My docs say if you are older it takes longer to recover and you may never.

REmist, you are right about age being a factor. I am about to turn 76 and I have had a series of joint replacements in the past 4 years because I want to get them out of the way while I am still healing well, and mentally and physically able to benefit from physiotherapy. All have been successful in eliminating pain and restoring mobility. I have been very lucky.

This year I am having my cataracts attended to but with this procedure age is not so critical. Still, who wants to go blind before doing something about it?

I appreciate the comments posted on knee replacements. It seems some turn out well while others are pain for no result.
However all don`t mean very much unless the patients age is shown. Go for it if you are a young 50 to 70 yrs old but be careful if your older. My docs say if you are older it takes longer to recover and you may never.

It's interesting that when these replacements first started it was the OLD people and their damaged joints...now people in their 40's + are doing them. So could be the younger ones are having better results. Most of the people I know who did them are 60+ and just talking to a friend who has had horrible issues for well over a year with his replacement has gone thru nerve ablation, burning the nerves...I'd never do that. He's so sick of his outcome.

I'm 80 and my knee is pretty damaged and so fear a worse outcome if I did one.

I'm still looking at more Prolotherapy for the knee.

Cataracts, I don't have that issue as I take eye supplements to keep eyes in good helath.

I work to AVOID all surgeries...ALLL of them. That's why I love supplements, we can do so much to avoid surgeries with the supplement world and all they offer us.

One last follow up - my 73 y/o Significant other is now about 7 weeks past surgery. Started out patient rehab, which will continue for 6 weeks or so, a couple of times a week. The first few weeks were really, really painful for her because she also has fibro mialgia and RLS, But she is past that now, and is doing very well. She does say she will not have the other knee done under any circumstances because of the pain, but I think that belief may be softened as her knee and her mobility improve.

She has started taking a daily dose of CBD oil to help with the pain. No way of knowing if it helps or not.

Back