Ladies thinning hair

Tara

How are are you ladies handling thinning hair. I mean hair that is less full and has thin and sort of bald spots on the crown?
I am 76 yr old lady and I just noticed this this month. Looks awful? Do you go to a doctor and does that help? I dye my hair. Is that bad? I do not want to stop that.

I have been thinking about moving my hair along to gray/silver. I have an area right up front that has been thinning. Normally, I have light brown hair. When I went that way with hair color, it did show more. I stopped coloring a couple of years ago. It helps but I think I am ready to have more gray.

I am very fortunate. My mother and grandmother had very thick hair right up to the days they died. The last time I was at my hairdresser's she mentioned to me that my hair is thicker and healthier than most forty year olds. I don't really do anything special for it. I also have it colored about every other month. Even then my gray hair doesn't show as much as the darker brown roots coming in. I keep it natural looking, about medium brown. I use cheaper shampoos now, mostly Suave brand.

I'm 75 and stopped dying my hair about 10 years ago and it was the best thing. First of all, I became allergic to the PPD in the dye and my scalp itched and broke out all the time. I had read such horror stories about what this allergy could develop into, that I just stopped dying it.

My hair started coming in fuller and my natural color was much more attractive than a fake dyed look. I have fine hair (not thin hair) but I have a lot of it and a natural wave, which I didn't even remember I had.

Go "au naturale"! Save your hair from further damage :)

As a young man my barber told me....You will never be bald because you have such strong thick hair. Now at 75 my hair is light gray and about 22 inches long. I haven't had it cut in 25 months. I see quite a few senior women who are going bald, usually at the crown of their head. I wonder how much of the problem goes back to the abuse they went through at the "beauty parlor " in their younger years ? JimB.

As a young man my barber told me....You will never be bald because you have such strong thick hair. Now at 75 my hair is light gray and about 22 inches long. I haven't had it cut in 25 months. I see quite a few senior women who are going bald, usually at the crown of their head. I wonder how much of the problem goes back to the abuse they went through at the "beauty parlor " in their younger years ? JimB.
Baldness is genetic, generally speaking.

I’m almost 70. My hair is as thick as it ever was, just a lot grayer lol.

Several of my friends have the problem of thinning hair. One is seeing a naturopath in an effort to reverse the problem. One wears a wig. One is taking medication….oh wait, I think that’s the same one who’s wearing the wig. One is growing her hair long with the (mistaken in my opinion)that it will seem less patchy.

Personally if I start to lose my hair I’ll just shave my head. But that’s me….I’m also the rebel who has ink and piercings and who routinely highlights the gray blue or green or maroon. Currently it has pink highlights. 😉

How are are you ladies handling thinning hair. I mean hair that is less full and has thin and sort of bald spots on the crown?
I am 76 yr old lady and I just noticed this this month. Looks awful? Do you go to a doctor and does that help? I dye my hair. Is that bad? I do not want to stop that.
I use this in my hair as well.
Bed Head Superstar Queen for a Day Thickening Spray

there are hundreds of products advertised or in the stores for thinning hair male and female..... various over the counter type items you can try and if that is still not helping maybe you can bring up to your healthcare provider... but i would not bother with a special trip unless you are very concerned or have rapid loss...
many as we age get thinner hair ...collagen supplements helped with my hair and skin as that natural production in body slows as we age.

Hi Tara. Google "alopecia treatments" and then discuss it with your doctor. My mother, who had SUPER thick, wavy hair didn't even notice a two inch missing patch until her hairdresser pointed it out. She got medication and the problem resolved.
hi. Em. Can you tell me what medication your mother took? I do not look good with gray hair.

hi. Em. Can you tell me what medication your mother took? I do not look good with gray hair.
Sorry, no idea (I'm old and mom's long gone) - but it was a prescription from her doctor. She didn't need to color her hair - neither of us went grey for some reason. But, the advice about color is very true - It's far less noticeable if your hair color is close to your scalp color. Ask your doctor (or beautician, even) about whether you can continue to color your hair. You might have to stop temporarily until your condition is reversed. (I'm not sure.) Best of luck!

I have thick, wooly hair. My hairdresser had told me I could no longer perm or add any chemicals to my hair after find a sore in my scalp (I'd used too much texturizer). This was the second time I'd been told that within several years (stopped perming, thought texturizer would be more gentle). Anyway, it's been years and went natural. I cut my hair down so I actually had less hair than my husband. It is less noticeable the shorter the hair. My sister, who had the same problem, was resistant to cut hers and it looked kind of silly. Eventually my bald spot filled in just a little. I'm not overly concerned because I have to cover my hair in public anyway.

I have thick hair. However, it got thinner after I'd had surgery (apparently whatever they gave me made some of the hair fall out). I've been taking biotin (a vitamin) and it's gotten quite thick again.

I have what's called "male pattern baldness", thinning in the front and on top. So far, it's not too bad but I expect it will worsen.

I tried Rogaine a few years ago but all it did was make my scalp itch.

I just have to make sure I wear a hat in the sun as I sunburned my scalp once and I don't EVER want to do that again!

I have a bald spot on the top of my head, began about 8 yrs ago.., My heart doc told me its because my thyroid was no longer working, and i was also having heart problems at that time too,, so the doc had to drop my Thyroid med in order to stop my A_fib,,!!
And also ended up having to have a pacemaker,, and learned to live with my bald spot on the top of my head,,
I'm 80yrs old now, its that old saying my mother and father told me when i was younger ,,," its tough to get old, ! "

i have very little hair up by my forhead but enough to pull it back to kinda cover the top of my head, but I now just wear a bandanna around my head to cover the bald spot,,ad sometime i wear my hubs ball caps. he has plenty to share,,lol.. other then that, i have long and very thin Grey and White hair ,that i wear in a pony tail most days,,
And i still have the wig i had bought years ago when i first began seeing that bald spot getting bigger and bigger.. but i rarely wear it now..
im thinking about giving it to the Cancer Treatment Center here in town for the woman who really need a wig,,

Re: hair loss or no hair loss. I read (forgot the article) that the "hair loss gene is from the "opposite" parent's genes (ie daughters from father; sons from mother. )

This is certainly true with my sister and brother: Dad's family has thick and abundant hair (sister and I have thick grey hair); Mom's brother was bald except for a "fringe?" which my brother has.

Back